Odd Man Out Post Engel

Who will be the odd man out once Engel is back?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the odd man out once Engel is back?

• Leury Garcia
    • Jake Lamb
    • Billy Hamilton
    • Danny Mendick
  2. 2. Who would you like to see go when Adam is back?

• Leury Garcia
    • Jake Lamb
    • Billy Hamilton
    • Danny Mendick

The easiest solution for now is putting Eaton on the IL and forget about him. He is old and beat up. Billy is likely to stay because he is TA's sidekick. Down the road Mendick might be at risk barring another injury. 

I think Jake Lamb can cover whatever we are not getting from Eaton. 

Edited by pcq

There are three position players who are going to come off the IL: Engel sometime this week, Robert and Eloy both likely sometime in August.

Unless the Sox are willing to shorten their bullpen, which I find very unlikely, that means (barring additional injuries) three position players have to go:

I don't see the Sox putting Eloy and Vaughn in the same OF. That's just too much ground for Robert to cover. That pushes Vaughn into a 1B/DH crunch with Abreu and Mercedes.

There are two months to sort things out, but as I see it, if Vaughn and Mercedes aren't both producing consistently, one of them will be sent down. Keeping both eliminates a lot of flexibility on the bench. Keeping both means that Lamb, Hamilton and Mendick are all gone, where all three provide the skill of batting lefty and/or playing positions that Vaughn and Mercedes can't play. Mendick has options so he's probably the first one to go, and it's a battle between Lamb and Hamilton to see who can be the most useful down the stretch and during the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

There are three position players who are going to come off the IL: Engel sometime this week, Robert and Eloy both likely sometime in August.

Unless the Sox are willing to shorten their bullpen, which I find very unlikely, that means (barring additional injuries) three position players have to go:

I don't see the Sox putting Eloy and Vaughn in the same OF. That's just too much ground for Robert to cover. That pushes Vaughn into a 1B/DH crunch with Abreu and Mercedes.

There are two months to sort things out, but as I see it, if Vaughn and Mercedes aren't both producing consistently, one of them will be sent down. Keeping both eliminates a lot of flexibility on the bench. Keeping both means that Lamb, Hamilton and Mendick are all gone, where all three provide the skill of batting lefty and/or playing positions that Vaughn and Mercedes can't play. Mendick has options so he's probably the first one to go, and it's a battle between Lamb and Hamilton to see who can be the most useful down the stretch and during the playoffs.

We'll see how the Sox handle it, but I have some hesitancy that the Sox will put Eloy back in LF. I think they might make him DH for the rest of 2021 and regroup after the season. 

To the original thread question, Mendick is gone I'd think because he's the only one with options. Every other guy offers something unique as well. Leury makes 3.75m so he'll survive the regular season. 

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

We'll see how the Sox handle it, but I have some hesitancy that the Sox will put Eloy back in LF. I think they might make him DH for the rest of 2021 and regroup after the season. 

To the original thread question, Mendick is gone I'd think because he's the only one with options. Every other guy offers something unique as well. Leury makes 3.75m so he'll survive the regular season. 

My guess would be if Mercedes outproduces Vaughn over the next 2 months, Mercedes stays at DH and Eloy in LF. If Vaughn outproduces Mercedes, then Vaughn in LF and Eloy at DH.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, beautox said:

It should be Garcia but it will be Mendick because he has options. 

Not really.  Leury has plenty of use on this team if he's not overused.  He's been overused all season because we don't really have any other OF options.  You don't just punt depth if you don't have to.  

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really.  Leury has plenty of use on this team if he's not overused.  He's been overused all season because we don't really have any other OF options.  You don't just punt depth if you don't have to.  

This right here.  Leury is a great player to have off of your bench in 2021.  In an era where teams carry a ton of pitching, having a guy who can stand in at 6 positions respectably is a big asset.  He is just not a guy who want getting 500 ABs, but injuries to 3 of your top 4, and at times, 4 of your top 5 OFs will put your #5 guy into a starting role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This right here.  Leury is a great player to have off of your bench in 2021.  In an era where teams carry a ton of pitching, having a guy who can stand in at 6 positions respectably is a big asset.  He is just not a guy who want getting 500 ABs, but injuries to 3 of your top 4, and at times, 4 of your top 5 OFs will put your #5 guy into a starting role.

Exactly. 

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

DING DING DING.  

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh my God, someone actually has the ability to think critically and see the big picture. There is hope. 

4 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

My guess would be if Mercedes outproduces Vaughn over the next 2 months, Mercedes stays at DH and Eloy in LF. If Vaughn outproduces Mercedes, then Vaughn in LF and Eloy at DH.

Someone or two could go on the IL.  

4 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Big picture, the Sox should not allow Eloy to play OF again. Multiple injuries and IL stints over 167 games, among the all time worst defensively when he is healthy enough to play.

Sure Eloy can injure himself running the bases or celebrating, but removing him from the OF will vastly increase his availability doing what he does best, batting for the Chicago White Sox. Mercedes is likely the odd person out, unless he can make adjustments and produce at a higher rate than he has in May.

5 hours ago, raBBit said:

You don't think there's a chance we see the Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF? That offense crushed anything and everything. Mercy!!

Just now, ron883 said:

You don't think there's a chance we see the Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF? That offense crushed anything and everything. Mercy!!

There is a chance. Especially given TLR has played Vaughn in RF in at least one blow out to get him some exposure out there. I just think the Sox are going to be careful with Eloy and Vaughn has shown enough, at least to me, to pass up Eloy in LF. They probably rotate in some capacity but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox put the kid gloves on Eloy. In Spring Training, TLR wanted Eloy as the DH.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seeing Vaughn out there, I don't think this is a stretch.

This is how I feel. Vaughn just has a natural feel for the game. The OF would be rough, but it just might be crazy enough to work. 

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

There is a chance. Especially given TLR has played Vaughn in RF in at least one blow out to get him some exposure out there. I just think the Sox are going to be careful with Eloy and Vaughn has shown enough, at least to me, to pass up Eloy in LF. They probably rotate in some capacity but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox put the kid gloves on Eloy. In Spring Training, TLR wanted Eloy as the DH.

I did not know about this, but it is great news. I've been pining for that OF combination all year. 

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Vaughn looks good out there, but he's still slow and can't get to a lot. Combine him with Eloy and you have an awful lot of ball dropping in the OF. I think an Eaton/Engel platoon gives you much better defense without too much of a loss on offense. If Vaughn and Mercedes are both mashing when Eloy gets back then you consider it, but the odds are that one of those two is going to get sent down.

32 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Vaughn looks good out there, but he's still slow and can't get to a lot. Combine him with Eloy and you have an awful lot of ball dropping in the OF. I think an Eaton/Engel platoon gives you much better defense without too much of a loss on offense. If Vaughn and Mercedes are both mashing when Eloy gets back then you consider it, but the odds are that one of those two is going to get sent down.

Mercedes will still be mashing. The guy is a natural hitter. 

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Mercedes will still be mashing. The guy is a natural hitter. 

Time will tell.  He was a 230’s hitter in May.  He’s another 7-10 days from his MLB numbers offensively matching his minor league marks...which is a normalization many feared.   That said, he still blows away Mazara and EE from last year at a much lower salary.

You all know how much I value right and left handed balance, in the lineup. If any imbalance exists, I'd prefer a more heavily weighted LH hitting lineup, for obvious reasons. Most pitchers are right handed and most hitters fair better against pitchers who throw from the opposite side. A left handed hitter's swing leaves him falling toward first base, which is already a stride closer from the LH batter's box. 

Some people here have the mistaken impression that I am obsessed with LH hitters. That is not the case. It's rather simply a matter of it being a particular issue with recent Sox teams, which have been too heavily weighted with right handed hitters. The Sox recent dominance over left handed pitching is evidence of that imbalance.

After Jake Lamb was acquired, I argued that he might provide some help, from the left side. Some here rejected the idea and vehemently asserted that he was washed up and could not be expected to return to the All Star caliber player he was during the 2016 and 2017 seasons. Although he is just 30, some argued that 2017 was too along ago to provide any indication of his current ability. They refused to consider his shoulder injury and subsequent surgery, in August of 2018, as a possible explanation for his poor performance in 2018 and 2019.

Although it's a very small sample size, he is currently producing at just about the same rate as his breakout seasons, as well as his limited playing time, last year, after Oakland acquired him. He's currently sporting a .882 OPS. Hopefully, he can continue to produce and get more playing time. If so, his track record is good enough to suggest that he might be able to provide some much needed left handed power, in the middle of the lineup. 

Lamb's two best seasons were with the Diamondbacks, when Tony La Russa was an executive there. I suspect that La Russa had something to do with the Sox signing Lamb. Therefore, now that Jake has had a chance to play a little and perform, we shouldn't be surprised if he gets more playing time versus RHP. 

Until Eloy and Robert return, I would like to see the following lineup versus RHP:

SS Anderson
RF Eaton
3B Moncada
1B Abreu
LF Lamb
DH Mercedes
C   Grandal/COLLINS
CF Engel
2B Madrigal

VERSUS LHP:

SS Anderson
2B Madrigal
3B Moncada
1B Abreu
DH Mercedes
C   Grandal
RF Engel (Until we're sure that he can run at maximum effort)
LF Vaughn
CF Hamilton

I think Mendick is the most logical candidate to be sent down, as he has options. Leury can be the middle infield sub, off the bench, and Hamilton can be the outfield defensive replacement, as well as a pinch runner. So, that means that Collins, Hamilton, Leury and Vaughn are the part time players. If Vaughn continues to slump, perhaps he should be sent down to Charlotte, to work on his pitch selection. He's been swinging at a lot of balls out of the zone. That would also impact his service time, leading to an extra year of control.
Edited by Lillian