Formula One

I'm a total poseur fan now.

Hoping there is some formula one super fan I can learn stuff from.

My wife got me into the Netflix docuseries and it went from "I never really liked racing but this show is great" to "I'll watch the highlights but I don't want to spoil the show" to "I am watching the qualifiers all day please shut up children"

Literally shrieked in horror when Max Verstappen went into the wall on Sunday, and was as happy as a sox win when Gasly made it into top 3.

Fun stuff. I'm a formula one expert now AMA.

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've always liked F1 but I can never find it on TV. 

F1 is the best kind of racing. 

I watch too many sports though. 

The big 4+golf take up a lot of my time. 

Every F1 race is on ESPN or ESPN2. Qualifying, too. Practice is often relegated to ESPNews and/or streaming.

48 minutes ago, 3GamesToLove said:

Every F1 race is on ESPN or ESPN2. Qualifying, too. Practice is often relegated to ESPNews and/or streaming.

I was hoping our resident tennis expert would have some overlap here  :pray

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I was hoping our resident tennis expert would have some overlap here  :pray

Ha!

I actually am probably newer to the sport than you. One of my friend group chats consists of a guy who's been a diehard F1 guy for years and years and years, and another guy who has also followed it for a while, albeit casually. Then my good friend started watching Drive to Survive in late March and when the group chat devolved into just F1 chat for a couple days I said "screw it" and started it, right on the eve of the first race of the season. So I've watched all the races so far and seen the whole show. I picked up on a lot of it pretty fast as is my obsessive nature, but I'm the farthest thing from a gearhead so that and tire management is still somewhat lost on me. I do highly recommend the "Shift+F1" podcast; I listen to that every week and I find it helpful.

With regard to tennis, I sadly haven't watched as much over the last few years as I did during my peak tennis kicks, and with no access to Tennis Channel anymore I can't follow the tour the way I used to, and I've had to rely on Radio Roland Garros for this tournament, but I'm very excited to go back all in on Wimbledon this summer alongside watching a lot of soccer. Getting together with said friends in person(!) to watch some soccer and then wake up the next morning to watch one of the races later this month.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

22 minutes ago, 3GamesToLove said:

Ha!

I actually am probably newer to the sport than you. One of my friend group chats consists of a guy who's been a diehard F1 guy for years and years and years, and another guy who has also followed it for a while, albeit casually. Then my good friend started watching Drive to Survive in late March and when the group chat devolved into just F1 chat for a couple days I said "screw it" and started it, right on the eve of the first race of the season. So I've watched all the races so far and seen the whole show. I picked up on a lot of it pretty fast as is my obsessive nature, but I'm the farthest thing from a gearhead so that and tire management is still somewhat lost on me. I do highly recommend the "Shift+F1" podcast; I listen to that every week and I find it helpful.

With regard to tennis, I sadly haven't watched as much over the last few years as I did during my peak tennis kicks, and with no access to Tennis Channel anymore I can't follow the tour the way I used to, and I've had to rely on Radio Roland Garros for this tournament, but I'm very excited to go back all in on Wimbledon this summer alongside watching a lot of soccer. Getting together with said friends in person(!) to watch some soccer and then wake up the next morning to watch one of the races later this month.

Same for almost all this. Lost tennis channel and missed out.

One thing that feels similar to tennis is the relationship to the drivers, where I mostly like them all so each race is just seeing how they put it together.

I’m going to check out that podcast. My favorite thing that kinda hooked me was learning how they keep updating the car throughout each week. That shit is so boring to my wife and so compelling to me.

• Fire 1

As an F1 die-hard for many years I can say most people like me have been very happy with the success of DTS and it's promotion of the sport and introduction of new fans. I've gone from taking shit from friends to people asking me questions and wanting to talk about the races or why certain things happened the way they did.

DTS does have it's moments where as someone who is very in depth on this stuff like me goes "why the hell are they making this out to be something it's not?", example: the Sainz/Norris "feud" in 2020. 

Pretty pumped how much popularity its gaining in the USA and hopefully in the next 10 years Chicago gets a street race or something like that. Honestly Miami f'd up by not making theirs a street track but I get logistically it makes sense to build it around Hard Rock stadium. 

36 minutes ago, Sonik22 said:

As an F1 die-hard for many years I can say most people like me have been very happy with the success of DTS and it's promotion of the sport and introduction of new fans. I've gone from taking shit from friends to people asking me questions and wanting to talk about the races or why certain things happened the way they did.

DTS does have it's moments where as someone who is very in depth on this stuff like me goes "why the hell are they making this out to be something it's not?", example: the Sainz/Norris "feud" in 2020. 

Pretty pumped how much popularity its gaining in the USA and hopefully in the next 10 years Chicago gets a street race or something like that. Honestly Miami f'd up by not making theirs a street track but I get logistically it makes sense to build it around Hard Rock stadium. 

Yes! We got a board expert!

I can't imagine there is a show that has been as impactful as DTS for a sport. But it does feel like racing has a high barrier to entry and as you mentioned the show uses driver drama as the cudgel to bring some of the other more technical parts of it. I feel like if premier league moved from having every team with a docuseries to a league wide show like this it could have similar impact.

I have definitely been wondering if Chicago could put something together. Have they ever? It feels like they could put together a pretty good street track with so many wide streets where they could build out stands and fun areas to use around grant and maggie daley park.

Show really makes me want to be rich so I can bring a Yacht to monaco though, I gotta tell ya.

F1 used to use the infield track at Indy years ago but never Chicago. I happened to be in Baltimore once when the streets were set up for the Indy Car race the following week. Pretending to be on a race track in my rental Nissan was fun.

I'm pretty sure "Monaco Yacht Rich" includes a generational component where new money need not apply

Edited by StrangeSox

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

I can't imagine there is a show that has been as impactful as DTS for a sport. But it does feel like racing has a high barrier to entry and as you mentioned the show uses driver drama as the cudgel to bring some of the other more technical parts of it. I feel like if premier league moved from having every team with a docuseries to a league wide show like this it could have similar impact.

I have definitely been wondering if Chicago could put something together. Have they ever? It feels like they could put together a pretty good street track with so many wide streets where they could build out stands and fun areas to use around grant and maggie daley park.

Show really makes me want to be rich so I can bring a Yacht to monaco though, I gotta tell ya.

The iRacing people designed a street course that NASCAR has used in its iRacing series with designs on possibly doing it for real. Their course started at Jackson/Columbus and went south on Jackson, left on Balbo, right on LSD, right on Roosevelt, right on Columbus, left on Balbo, right on Michigan, right on Congress Plaza, right on Michigan, and right on Jackson back to Columbus.

20 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The iRacing people designed a street course that NASCAR has used in its iRacing series with designs on possibly doing it for real. Their course started at Jackson/Columbus and went south on Jackson, left on Balbo, right on LSD, right on Roosevelt, right on Columbus, left on Balbo, right on Michigan, right on Congress Plaza, right on Michigan, and right on Jackson back to Columbus.

That is basically exactly where I imagined it would be. It would be tons of fun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 11:20 AM, bmags said:

Imagine if Hard Knocks could even get close to showing the true authenticity DTS does... And that's with some storylines being overly embelished.

Also, Chicago has been in the running to host races a few years ago but refused to spend as much as other cities. At the time I believe there was a $31.1 million minimum to host a race and Chicago refused to match that so F1 said "see ya".  I also believe the track was going to involve LSD and through soldier field and Adler in some capacity. However, Chicago has hosted F1 festivals in the past few years here and there.

When it comes to barrier to entry, F1 is probably the toughest to get into of any sport because realistically there is only 20 seats. Maybe 6 (probably 4) of which can compete for a win every weekend. This is why Red Bull has been in the perfect position this year outside of having their best car since 2013. Checo was out of a seat, and also an amazing driver. So the only way he was getting a spot was being willing to play second fiddle and be the best teammate he can be for Max. It's been absolutely perfect.

On 7/6/2021 at 5:06 PM, Sonik22 said:

When it comes to barrier to entry, F1 is probably the toughest to get into of any sport because realistically there is only 20 seats.

Not to mention however many seats in a given year are paid for

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Haas is wasting two of them running matchbox cars.

It’s pretty bad but only if they are this uncompetitive next year. Nice to see Williams being so competitive at least even without points.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...