Formula One

On 5/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, bmags said:

Yeah Seriously. Williams car doesn’t look any more competitive than last year yet Albon has found points twice. 

I hope Williams no longer needs the Latifi money, I’d hope this is Pietris spot but with him being Sauber and his lack of backing it’s been confusing who ultimately takes his talent.

id assume open spots next year would be Latifi for sure. But then after that we’ll see of Vettel, Ricciardo, and Alonso who sticks around.

Gasly moves somewhere too.

Albon clearly had talent in that season and a half he did in the Red Bull, but the way that team runs just eats up any young guy that is not a cyborg (Max). 

Unless Aston can make some real improvements I wouldn't be surprised to see Vettel hang it up, he doesn't need to put up with that nonsense anymore.

If I am Mclaren Ricciardo has to get a really long look, he has been just horrible for them outside of his fluke Monza win last year. I also wonder if there is a possibility of Hamilton riding into the sunset if there is no path to Mercedes being a title contender next year. He is also a guy that looks really frustrated and at this point if he isn't going to get that 8th drivers title there is probably little incentive for him to hang out with a mid-pack car. 

42 minutes ago, hawksfan61 said:

Albon clearly had talent in that season and a half he did in the Red Bull, but the way that team runs just eats up any young guy that is not a cyborg (Max). 

Unless Aston can make some real improvements I wouldn't be surprised to see Vettel hang it up, he doesn't need to put up with that nonsense anymore.

If I am Mclaren Ricciardo has to get a really long look, he has been just horrible for them outside of his fluke Monza win last year. I also wonder if there is a possibility of Hamilton riding into the sunset if there is no path to Mercedes being a title contender next year. He is also a guy that looks really frustrated and at this point if he isn't going to get that 8th drivers title there is probably little incentive for him to hang out with a mid-pack car. 

I could see Hamilton doing that but only if the gap in results between him and Russell widen. I think it's easy to believe Mercedes can catch up next season, even with the investment cap. Especially since at this point it does feel like Ferrari is once again struggling with upgrades and strategy.

I kinda bought into the F1 rep for Albon. Always a little skeptical when a guy was just okay in F2, and he seemed way too safe in the red bull. But he seems really really good at managing the cars he's in, and it's been a nice match with the creative strategies Williams has done under Jost to steal points.

I think Vettel is done, mainly because I think Daddy Stroll is itching to cut him and I imagine Vettell will want to take control of going out on his terms. And Ricciardo has been both bad, and seems miserable.

That would be a whole lot of the old guard out at once though, would be rough to see. All of them, even Vettel are losing results to their driver pairings, so I can see it happening. Too much ego there.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2022 at 6:45 PM, bmags said:

At least vegas is built for large influxes of people, and will probably be just as fun just to be there during that weekend if not in the race. I could see COTA definitely becoming more affordable for tickets but still a pain to travel to, austin hotels see such crazy price inflection depending on the events. Miami I always find to be a pain in the ass, no doubt it is going to be fun for those who go.

We are actually going to Montreal which all-in-all is pretty decent, not expensive to fly to, hotels are normal big city prices, and wasn't difficult to get tickets so long as you were prepared when they opened.

bmags it’s your weekend! Are you doing all three days?

7 hours ago, hawksfan61 said:

bmags it’s your weekend! Are you doing all three days?

So did P1 but then left since we had so little time to settle in.

Have a great grandstand view. My friends say COTA was great to just be GA and walk around, but in Montreal there is very limited viewpoints outside of grandstands because it’s mostly flat (we haven’t walked around whole track yet).

When P1 started we were on a bridge walking over the track. That was an incredible feeling of the cars driving under you and feeling the power and noise

Your seats look good bmags #jealous

Overall some curveballs, but Max is just too dominant. Would like to have seen what Charles could do behind him after that restart as opposed to Sainz, who just couldn’t close the gap enough.

Nice race for Mercedes overall, and at this point I’m just convinced Mick is just cursed 😢

On 6/19/2022 at 4:00 PM, hawksfan61 said:

Your seats look good bmags #jealous

Overall some curveballs, but Max is just too dominant. Would like to have seen what Charles could do behind him after that restart as opposed to Sainz, who just couldn’t close the gap enough.

Nice race for Mercedes overall, and at this point I’m just convinced Mick is just cursed 😢

I wasn't surprised Sainz couldn't close even with the pace. I watched Leclerc unable to pass Ocon for like 20 laps within DRS the whole time, I am not sure but I don't even think he passed him until he pitted. It looked close but max basically said he never even really needed to defend.

Was bummed about Haas. We all went into sunday thinking we might see Micks first points. He ended up, with checo, retiring right under us.

• 2 weeks later...

That Zhou crash was really scary. You can see from the live feed someone’s car just flying upside down in the background, really glad he walked away from that.

This was one that was definitely worth waiting through the red flag on, amazing action after that last yellow. Super excited for Sainz first win and my guy Mick getting his first points!!! Double points for Haas for the first time in a looooong time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, CentralChamps21 said:

The iRacing people designed a street course that NASCAR has used in its iRacing series with designs on possibly doing it for real. Their course started at Jackson/Columbus and went south on Jackson, left on Balbo, right on LSD, right on Roosevelt, right on Columbus, left on Balbo, right on Michigan, right on Congress Plaza, right on Michigan, and right on Jackson back to Columbus.

And this is on!

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2022/07/19/chicago-to-host-first-ever-nascar-cup-series-street-race-in-2023/

You nailed the course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One week of summer break and lots of craziness in the driver market. Alonso going to Aston is just LOOOOL, him and Stroll as teammates is going to be a dream for DTS. Certainly looks like Ricciardo is done at McLaren, although with all the drama around Piastri so far I will believe that is a done deal when it is a done deal. If that is the case, Daniel either goes back to Renault/Alpine, or becomes the ultimate back marker at Williams.

1 hour ago, hawksfan61 said:

One week of summer break and lots of craziness in the driver market. Alonso going to Aston is just LOOOOL, him and Stroll as teammates is going to be a dream for DTS. Certainly looks like Ricciardo is done at McLaren, although with all the drama around Piastri so far I will believe that is a done deal when it is a done deal. If that is the case, Daniel either goes back to Renault/Alpine, or becomes the ultimate back marker at Williams.

I was surprised with Piastri. Everyone was saying McLaren but I thought the theory of him being offered AT and eyeing a top seat at red bull in a few years seemed a better fit. Would I even bet on mclaren having a better car than alpine in 2-3 years? Plus all the marketing stuff you have to do at mclaren. 

With Ricciardo...do you think there's a chance Haas to replace a magnussen or any weird Schumacher moves? Seems like he would be an ideal get for an "American" team, and could give him opportunities in Nascar races as well.

21 hours ago, bmags said:

I was surprised with Piastri. Everyone was saying McLaren but I thought the theory of him being offered AT and eyeing a top seat at red bull in a few years seemed a better fit. Would I even bet on mclaren having a better car than alpine in 2-3 years? Plus all the marketing stuff you have to do at mclaren. 

With Ricciardo...do you think there's a chance Haas to replace a magnussen or any weird Schumacher moves? Seems like he would be an ideal get for an "American" team, and could give him opportunities in Nascar races as well.

Yeah I do not get the Piastri/McLaren thing either. McLaren is going in the wrong direction and he will clearly play second fiddle to Norris, so it has to just be a pure money move.

There does seem to be smoke around Schumacher getting cut off the raft, as rumor is his contract is up and Haas is taking a wait and see approach. I personally hope they give him another year because he is a fun story, and you almost just ignore last year with how bad that car was and how dysfunctional the team seemed to be with the Mazepins. If that seat does open up, Haas and Danny Ric do seem like a good match. I always wonder if they end up going the pay driver route though, because it seems like Gene Haas waffles on how much money he actually wants to light on fire year to year.

1 hour ago, hawksfan61 said:

Yeah I do not get the Piastri/McLaren thing either. McLaren is going in the wrong direction and he will clearly play second fiddle to Norris, so it has to just be a pure money move.

There does seem to be smoke around Schumacher getting cut off the raft, as rumor is his contract is up and Haas is taking a wait and see approach. I personally hope they give him another year because he is a fun story, and you almost just ignore last year with how bad that car was and how dysfunctional the team seemed to be with the Mazepins. If that seat does open up, Haas and Danny Ric do seem like a good match. I always wonder if they end up going the pay driver route though, because it seems like Gene Haas waffles on how much money he actually wants to light on fire year to year.

I kinda thought haas is just trying to get Ferrari to pay more money to put Schumacher in the seat again (esp since he crashes so much)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like Ford is joining F1 in 2026 as a joint pairing with Red Bull Racing.  I'm wondering if they have plans to splinter into their own team eventually like Mercedes did in 2010.  Hopefully the new regulations in '26 can mix things up enough to have a bigger field fighting for the titles.  Would love to see Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren take leaps this year too.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

5 hours ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

Looks like Ford is joining F1 in 2026 as a joint pairing with Red Bull Racing.  I'm wondering if they have plans to splinter into their own team eventually like Mercedes did in 2010.  Hopefully the new regulations in '26 can mix things up enough to have a bigger field fighting for the titles.  Would love to see Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren take leaps this year too.

I was worried the alt fuels/hybrid continuation of F1 would lead to less investment by car companies who have moved to all EV but looks like the brand play is strong enough (probs thanks to Red Bull) that it’s worth the money anyway

• 1 month later...

Thoughts:

- Disappointed how easy that was for red bull

- Williams was way better than I expected, and sargeant was solid

- mclaren …jesus

- 2nd place will likely be more interesting than first in constructors

• 3 months later...

No other motorsports threads so I'll leave this here:

The #77 White Sox Chevy was one of the slowest in qualifying for tomorrow's race around Grant Park.

Must be sponsored by Grandal.

On a serious note, I looked into tickets and the cheapest seats were $450. We pay $130 each for our Indy 500 seats and those are really good seats.

On 7/1/2023 at 4:16 PM, CentralChamps21 said:

No other motorsports threads so I'll leave this here:

The #77 White Sox Chevy was one of the slowest in qualifying for tomorrow's race around Grant Park.

Must be sponsored by Grandal.

On a serious note, I looked into tickets and the cheapest seats were $450. We pay $130 each for our Indy 500 seats and those are really good seats.

We looked into tickets and we’re shocked at the first round being $200+. But glad since weather was awful anyway.