Will Hahn be more active this deadline?

Dominikk85

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will say this much. After a relatively cheap winter, and 100% capacity coming up, this team should have the monetary resources to acquire some contracts and not waste prospects wherever possible.  

The dorf won the offseason by default.  His cheapness resulted in trading Dane Dunning to pick up 2 SPs for $12M total, yet those were probably the 2 best moves the Sox could make.  Had they gotten more of a proven vet FA SP they could have spent that in one player and gotten stiffed.

But still, there should not be any excuses for taking on salary to acquire rentals.  We will have to see.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

The dorf won the offseason by default.  His cheapness resulted in trading Dane Dunning to pick up 2 SPs for $12M total, yet those were probably the 2 best moves the Sox could make.  Had they gotten more of a proven vet FA SP they could have spent that in one player and gotten stiffed.

But still, there should not be any excuses for taking on salary to acquire rentals.  We will have to see.

It also got us Adam Eaton. 

7 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I hope Hahn will not sit on his ass this deadline again. 

I certainly support don’t breaking the bank and keep the top5 prospects but the market for rentals has been very cheap the last years.

Thus I would hope he gets at least two rentals this deadline (a 2b and a relief pitcher). Just keep the major leaguers and young high upside prospects like Kelley and Bailey and be aggressive in shipping away the 22-25 yo prospects which are not top 100 and haven't made the majors yet. 

He's going to make some moves, but, assuming they keep playing at a high level, I don't know that they are going to make any significant moves, especially if there is a chance that they get either Jimenez or Robert back in August. 

So far, this team appears to have tremendous depth. Engel looks like a starting caliber CF/RF and Vaughn is a top MLB prospect who has found a home in LF. Mendick looks serviceable as well at 2B. 

It looks like the bullpen can be fortified, but there's still time for a few of these guys to get their stuff together. I really don't think Hahn is going to make a blockbuster though just for the sake of it. This team is loaded and there's really no obvious place, maybe outside of RF to add, but that can be solved by getting Robert back.

• Like 1

Just like the managerial selection, the decision is not up to Hahn. 

When the Sox failed to compensate for the loss of Eloy and Luis, that told me all I needed to know.

Lord knows I'm no great fan of Hahn but I know who the puppetmaster is.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, GradMc said:

When the Sox failed to compensate for the loss of Eloy and Luis, that told me all I needed to know.

This take just shows a complete lack of understanding how baseball works. Which  player that is an upgrade over the in-house options was available at the end of spring training and in early May? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

SFG.  Cleveland.  Blue Jays.   At least two of those are more deserving.

Rodon, Lance Lynn moves looking genius. Depth coming out of nowhere to cover multiple massive injuries. Hahn is gonna win this. 

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Rodon, Lance Lynn moves looking genius. Depth coming out of nowhere to cover multiple massive injuries. Hahn is gonna win this. 

Nobody in baseball expected the Giants to even be a .500 team.

Nobody in baseball can name a single Indian other than Ramirez, Bieber and maybe Karinchak.

Tampa Bay or A’s could get more votes, too.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I agree about the Lynn move. Rodon and the depth pieces have been with the club for years though except for Hamilton. 

30 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I agree about the Lynn move. Rodon and the depth pieces have been with the club for years though except for Hamilton. 

Rodon could have signed with any team, though. Hahn deserves credit for that one. Rodon looked like he was done. 

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just to expand on this, imagine this lineup:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Moncada, 3B#
  4. Abreu, 1B
  5. Jimenez, R
  6. Grandal, C#
  7. Marte, RF
  8. Vaughn, LF
  9. Escobar, 2B#

Don't think I'd have Escobar 9th . He has 15 HR's which would easily be the most on the Sox right now. However in your defense that lineup is so stacked I don't really know what to change. I doubt we have the bullets for more than Escobar and a Relief pitcher though. Marte would be pretty cool though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't think I'd have Escobar 9th . He has 15 HR's which would easily be the most on the Sox right now. However in your defense that lineup is so stacked I don't really know what to change. I doubt we have the bullets for more than Escobar and a Relief pitcher though. Marte would be pretty cool though.

Yeah I don’t disagree with anything you say Cali, but kind of hard to place all those bats.  Would be a good problem to have, but you’re right, we’ll see if they can land all those pieces.  The system being in bad shape won’t help matters unfortunately.

Said this in the Madrigal thread, but the deadline is a ways away, so much could and probably will change by then. 

1.You’ll have a much better idea about the recovery of Robert and Eloy. Nicky as well, but for whatever reason my gut tells me he’s done for the year

2. Who knows what the health of this team looks like in 5 week, someone else could go down 

3. In 5 weeks, there are going to be a number of teams that are “in it” right now that won’t be then. 

4. Most importantly….this team needs to just keep putting away W’s. The Indians are the only threat to the Sox in the division and as we know, they may sell if things stay the course. If the Sox hit a rough patch here with Tampa and Houston, things may get a lot tighter. It’s very possible that happens. But if the Sox continue to expand their division lead, a trade this season is strictly for the playoffs, not to win the division. 

They need to wait, identify a few key players who they believe may be able to help them in October, and hopefully make a few key additions to go along with the return of Robert and Eloy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Am i crazy...Escobars numbers are super pedestrian. What am i missing?

15 HR's would be 1st on the Sox and his .463 Slg would be right behind Abreu for team lead. Of course he's also a switch hitter and can play all infield positions mostly 3rd and 2nd .

The problem with Escobar is he hits lefties better than righties just like the rest of the Sox. His splits are a little more dramatic this year than his career splits but he still has 10 of his HR's against RHP. Someone else said his fielding looked good statistically this year at 2nd base but I believe it's only 20 games so not much to go on.

There's still time before the TDL to assess the most glaring holes but most would probably agree there is a need for a relief pitcher or 2. When you have 3 RP struggling and Kopech and Crochet on pitching limits and all starting pitching having a good chance of being fatigued due to the short season last year (especially Rodon) it would be wise to load up on relievers.  I would think every playoff caliber team will try to do this so it could be a sellers market for relief pitching so my 1st move would be to get ahead of the market and try to get a good one now. I think these factors are often overlooked because it's always more glamorous to dream about more hitting .

In summary ,go after relief pitching 1st and foremost striking asap.

Keep reassessing the biggest need among position players as long as you can but be ready to pounce when the time is nigh. I anticipate either 2nd base or RF to be the most pressing need but one never knows when someone else may go down.

Keep in mind this may be the best year the Sox have to win a World Series so talking about having faith in Mendick , Goodwin , Engel or the pen guys to turn it around won't get the job done. Make the team as strong as you can now. The 2nd half is going to be a bear to all pitchers .

• Like 1