Will Hahn be more active this deadline?

Dominikk85

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he’s we should be pursuing Escobar & Marte over Frazier, but it would be way more awesome if he’s actually heard something around that.

The White Sox are very active in trade talks. I know that Arizona was a team they've talked to. I'm not sure about Pittsburgh. They're going to add. I don't know for sure what the targets are though. I'd target Marte from Miami and try to snag Escobar and Soria from Arizona. Then get closer to the deadline and acquire more relief pitching if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox are very active in trade talks. I know that Arizona was a team they've talked to. I'm not sure about Pittsburgh. They're going to add. I don't know for sure what the targets are though. I'd target Marte from Miami and try to snag Escobar and Soria from Arizona. Then get closer to the deadline and acquire more relief pitching if necessary.

Awesome...thanks for the update James!

So the Sox Machine guys were speculating on what it might take to get Adam Frazier and Nelson through out Kelley, Thompson, & Rodriguez.  Margalus said he felt two of those three would be enough.  Either way, no fucking thanks.  Frazier is a nice little player, but that’s a massive price for a good not great player IMO.  And don’t get me wrong, it’s not a totally unfair ask, but it’s move that reeks of desperation and would likely come back to haunt us one day.  If at all possible, we should hold off dealing those three along with Dalquist, Ramos, Gladney, & Krogman (and potentially a few others).  Let them continue to build up their value this year and save them as future trade chips or possible reinforcements down the road.

I still maintain that rentals are the way to go and I think we have quite a few interesting arms that could help get us what we need.  Pilkington, Bilous, McClure, Carranza, Johnson, Freeman, Schilling, & Horn are all guys that would likely be of interest to other teams.  I would look to move them along first obviously before considering the next tier of prospects in Lambert, Burdi, Sheets, & Burger.  I’d also try to cash in on Rutherford, Gonzalez, & Adolfo, but not sure how much value they have right now.  Regardless, I think we can shop in the rental section without giving up Cespedes, Stiever, or the key A Ball prospects and that would be a huge win for us in the long-run.

I wonder what the conversation will be around  Castellanos. My guess is the Reds are out of it by the deadline. Nick is putting up huge numbers and also has an opt-out after the season. Not sure he uses it, but it could lessen his value on the market…

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I wonder what the conversation will be around  Castellanos. My guess is the Reds are out of it by the deadline. Nick is putting up huge numbers and also has an opt-out after the season. Not sure he uses it, but it could lessen his value on the market…

Really interesting name. Reds gotta start sliding.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Escobar I can see.

Pass on Marte. No pop, doesn't walk much.  Tired.

Starling has some pop and will also steal some bases while he is hitting .340 at this point. .  I say sign both Martels, Sterling and Ketel  and we will be set in RF and 2B. ....................................

I would be willing to overpay for Marte a bit because he's our starting RF in the playoffs and he makes a healthy Eaton and Engel into much better players, and gives us a reason to DH Eloy in the playoffs or sit him if he is struggling at that point.  Marte would truly be a difference maker for us.

Marte could cost one of our better pitching prospects.  I might do it though now that I think about it.

Crazy idea: Marte for Engel and Ruiz/Burdi.  Would MIA actually say no to that?  I am really thinking that the rest of baseball may think a lot higher of Adam Engel than Sox fans generally do.  In fact, they might even think that is a steal.

5 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Starling has some pop and will also steal some bases while he is hitting .340 at this point. .  I say sign both Martels, Sterling and Ketel  and we will be set in RF and 2B. ....................................

He can also defend.  An OF with Robert in CF, and Marte/Engel/Eaton on the corners is a nice big defensive FU you the opposition.  I love it.

36 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

He can also defend.  An OF with Robert in CF, and Marte/Engel/Eaton on the corners is a nice big defensive FU you the opposition.  I love it.

Marte is a GG outfielder. Having Engel-Robert-Marte finishing the game in the OF would be deadly. That would be an all time great defensive OF, and pretty damn good against lefties. I'm salivating thinking about it. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

When the Sox are talking to M&M (Marlins and Mariners) about RFs, they should remember that you can't give up a Haniger-level price for Marte when Haniger is already under contract beyond this year and could be a QO candidate later on (requiring a draft pick) whereas Marte will not be a QO candidate and is a FA after the season.

If Marte talks get too expensive, pivot to Haniger.

Also, no matter what we do, I think we should try to swap Marshall for Detwiler at some level.  Detwiler is a better garbageman and can be more of a sport starter.  That move should be a no-brainer.  The Marlins should take Marshall if we eat his salary, otherwise maybe we need to give up a borderline prospect in the deal.  I'd still do it anyway.

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Marte is a GG outfielder. Having Engel-Robert-Marte finishing the game I'm the OF would be deadly. That would be an all time great defensive OF, and pretty damn good against lefties. I'm salivating thinking about it. 

Me too.

I'm against giving up too much for spot patch players, but Marte is different because he really is a difference maker.  He makes the offense and the defense and the pitching better in multiple places.  

Still the dorf will have to take on salary.  We will see.

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Me too.

I'm against giving up too much for spot patch players, but Marte is different because he really is a difference maker.  He makes the offense and the defense and the pitching better in multiple places.  

This may be the best part about having TLR as manager. Maybe Jerry will spend more on the team for his guy.

15 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Me too.

Jerry is making out like a bandit this year after going cheap this offseason and with fans now allowed in the park in high numbers.  Hahn has already indicated we’ll have the ability to take on money at the deadline and I bet our financial flexibility has only improved since he made those comments.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jerry is making out like a bandit this year after going cheap this offseason and with fans now allowed in the park in high numbers.  Hahn has already indicated we’ll have the ability to take on money at the deadline and I bet our financial flexibility has only improved since he made those comments.

Hopefully.

If they can add Marte/Haniger and Escobar, they will do a ton to improve the team.

Another RP would be nice but at the same time I am pessimistic, because from a talent perspective, we are already loaded.  If Heuer and Bummer get it together, sheesh, we are fucking disgusting just as it is.

I would still like another long man/spot starter/garbageman and Detwiler can be that guy for little to no cost in money or talent.

17 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Hopefully.

If they can add Marte/Haniger and Escobar, they will do a ton to improve the team.

Another RP would be nice but at the same time I am pessimistic, because from a talent perspective, we are already loaded.  If Heuer and Bummer get it together, sheesh, we are fucking disgusting just as it is.

I would still like another long man/spot starter/garbageman and Detwiler can be that guy for little to no cost in money or talent.

We should set our sights higher than Ross Detwiler.  We also have Jace Fry to add to the pen mix.