ELOY back Monday against KC

2Deep

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Who said he isn't playing it here ?

Excuse the dumb question as I am an English White Sox fan whose knowledge of the finer points of baseball are not the best, but is Eloy actually as bad in LF as some posters on here like to have us believe?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Excuse the dumb question as I am an English White Sox fan whose knowledge of the finer points of baseball are not the best, but is Eloy actually as bad in LF as some posters on here like to have us believe?

Hes not a very good defender and always makes stupid decisions to chase balls in the stands or over fences that seem to always lead to some sort of injury.

If Eloy could stay within himself and be a decent route runner, I still believe he could be a serviceable LFer. It's all on him to do that, though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Well he is pretty bad out there and he continually gets hurt playing in LF. I think others would be OK with him playing LF if he didn't get hurt so much. That is the main concern. He does not seem to have the ability to figure out how to play the field and not get hurt. Anyone can get hurt of course but he seems to go out of his way to do things, odd things , that injure him.

Just now, South Sider said:

Hes not a very good defender and always makes stupid decisions to chase balls in the stands or over fences that seem to always lead to some sort of injury.

If Eloy could stay within himself and be a decent route runner, I still believe he could be a serviceable LFer. It's all on him to do that, though. 

That makes sense, I thought his injury was a pretty stupid one to do in Spring Training, but I did not think he was a liability in LF, just not the best.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 5:24 PM, GGajewski18 said:

What I would do right now:

Trade Jimmy Lambert and Rutherford for Eduardo Escobar and Joakim Soria

Trade Crochet, Sheets, Adolfo and Thompson for Gallo and Kennedy

5 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

That makes sense, I thought his injury was a pretty stupid one to do in Spring Training, but I did not think he was a liability in LF, just not the best.

He hasn't been good but he was improving. The issue to me is hurting himself. Running into walls and nets is stupid. It probably wasn't the smartest idea to try to catch a ball at the wall you have no shot at, in a game that doesn't  count, although that injury was a freak imo.

Edited by Dick Allen

10 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

He is an ok straight line athlete, but his routes in the outfield are often very bad which leads to many poorly fielded plays.  He also has the propensity for regular bodily injury - from routine plays to straight up stupid decisions like what put him on the shelf for half of this season.  His bat is too valuable to let him recklessly play the OF.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Just for comparison, look at how well Vaughn has taken to playing LF.  He's not the fastest but he makes good plays and isn't a liability or an injury risk.  If Eloy could be what Vaughn has been as an LF it would be an entirely different conversation, but to this point it isn't really close IMO.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Is Stone saying what, at least, 90% of the people on this board are saying: That whether he likes it or not, Eloy has to accept that he's going to be a DH and maybe some 1st base so that he doesn't get hurt anymore. Stone is being honest. Is that "lay(ing) in to Eloy"?  I don't think so. 

I would be surprised to see Eloy ever pick up a 1st baseman mitt.  I think DH and occasional LF is it for him.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well he is pretty bad out there and he continually gets hurt playing in LF. I think others would be OK with him playing LF if he didn't get hurt so much. That is the main concern. He does not seem to have the ability to figure out how to play the field and not get hurt. Anyone can get hurt of course but he seems to go out of his way to do things, odd things , that injure him.

Same. I don't necessarily have an issue with Eloy in LF in theory, it's more that he has the potential to hurt himself and Robert/Engel when he's out there. 

4 hours ago, Chimpton said:

He's not that bad of a fielder, he just lacks situational awareness for his surroundings and common sense.  

Dives at balls he should be playing on one hop, runs into the wall, falls over the stands, somehow ends up in the nets, and is a threat to run over center fielder.  

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea 1st base has plenty of opportunities for disaster maybe more so than LF.

Exactly my thought. Many more variables at 1B. I don’t see why people keep suggesting 1B as an option for a guy who can’t even play LF with any situational awareness.

10 hours ago, black jack said:

I don't know who it was but: 

please be who I think it is

please be who I think it is

please be who I think it is. 

You would be crabby too wearing dirty diapers all day. 

9 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

This might be an obtuse question but how many times has he injured himself from poor fielding decisions?

The man is just a walking injury. He hurt himself running in to celebrate for Giolito's no hitter. 

• Haha 2

• Heads22 changed the title to ELOY back Monday against KC