Trade an asset

Jnooch

Would anyone be in favor of trading Carlos Rodon for a meaningful LH bat? I dont see Carlos signing next year with the Sox. 
Boros is his agent and with Carlos health history I dont see this org signing him to a 5 year deal. It would have to be to a contender because 

Arizona, Pittsburgh, and other non contenders are looking for young prospects. Could Michael Kopech step in to his spot?

23 minutes ago, Jnooch said:

Would anyone be in favor of trading Carlos Rodon for a meaningful LH bat? I dont see Carlos signing next year with the Sox. 
Boros is his agent and with Carlos health history I dont see this org signing him to a 5 year deal. It would have to be to a contender because 

Arizona, Pittsburgh, and other non contenders are looking for young prospects. Could Michael Kopech step in to his spot?

NO, unless you think that they are giving up on the expectation of a deep post season run. Very unlikely. They're almost certainly all in, for this season and Rodon would be key to their hopes, especially if one of the starters gets hurt. Although the Sox have had several devastating injuries, they haven't lost anyone from the rotation, for any significant length of time. It wouldn't be wise to press their luck, given how many pitchers around the League have gone down. Having the depth to their rotation is probably the greatest single key to their chances for a ring. 

Edited by Lillian

28 minutes ago, Jnooch said:

Trading one of the year's top starters would be an excellent idea. Excess baggage. 

1 hour ago, Jnooch said:

Only if we can't move Robert, Moncada, and Eloy first

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jnooch said:

I've seen this somewhere before. Oh yea it was me in my fun idle speculation last night.

I know people will say it's dumb but it's actually not.

What if the Sox are working on getting another starter right now. Lets say Zac Gallen in a trade with Escobar.

Now if you keep Rodon obviously he walks as a free agent and you get nothing which is why it sucks to luck into Rodon being good and not be able to cash in on your luck by trading him because he is a main cog for this year.

But if you trade him , you get Gallen to replace Rodon. Obviously you'd also have to make a pretty good offer besides Rodon, like Crochet and Madrigal or Crochet and 2 prospects. Diamondbacks then trade Rodon for whatever they can get then. Hard to say exactly what Rodon and Gallen are worth with Rodon a mystery about how many innings he is capable of pitching this year and Gallen just coming off the IL with the partial tear in his UCL and a stress fracture in his pitching arm earlier.

Could be a 3 way trade.

Sounds pretty tempting to me.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Rodon's performance this year is the biggest reason I am okay with the Sox trading prospects to add.  He's their Game 1 ace.  He's the biggest horse.  You get rid of him and our chances to win anything of consequence in the playoffs drop considerably.

However he is also going to have to be watched very closely. You can't automatically say he's our 1 guy in a long playoff run because his combined IP for the last 2 years is 42 innings. Can you reasonably expect him to pitch 150+ innings this year ? At some point this year he's going to have to be Il'd like Kopech has been in order to get him through the playoffs. If he can be replaced with another pitcher of high quality it's intriguing.

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

Anyone is traceable if the offer is correct however could you imagine the meltdown if you face Rodon in the playoffs and lose?

Oh yea just trading him would be very controversial but if he's traded to the NL then or any playoff team in the AL that team could be eliminated before the Sox face him or if the Sox face him and lose to him they could still win the series.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh yea just trading him would be very controversial but if he's traded to the NL then or any playoff team in the AL that team could be eliminated before the Sox face him or if the Sox face him and lose to him they could still win the series.

Agree but converse also holds.  Anyone in the right deal but it would require stones that I don't see.  Also a meltdown if the acquiring team wins.  "Worse than White flag" lol.  

Just now, BamaDoc said:

Agree but converse also holds.  Anyone in the right deal but it would require stones that I don't see.  Also a meltdown if the acquiring team wins.  "Worse than White flag" lol.  

The way I look at it is you go into next year without Rodon and Lynn. That's a kick in the butt of a way to start the off season. No matter who you get at  the trade deadline a lot of the Sox chances to win depend on Rodon's arm holding up , which in itself is dicey and Eloy and Robert returning  to form another dicey proposition.

Chances of winning the World Series are slim every year even with a very good team.  Chances improve for the coming years if you can add another quality SP when you are losing 2 of them. Plus next year hopefully Eloy and Robert can stay healthy.

I remember Steve Stone saying that a pitcher coming off of TJ in his 1 year will experience a dead arm at some point. He was talking about Rodón & Kopech. Kopech’s arm got some rest being on the IL. Rodón has been great this year but should fall off after the All Star break. Trading a star pitcher when he is hot is something that Tampa Bay would do. A nice return for a 1/2 season rental would be nice ( If we don’t have to see him). If they keep Rodón offer him a qualifying offer and he leaves next season do the Sox get a comp pick?

5 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Xbox GM off-season start early?

Why not Rodon and whoever for Zac Gallen  and Escobar ? Sure it's crazy to think about. But Rodon is gone next year and his health for the rest of the year and throughout the playoffs is questionable.

Gallen's health is also questionable. He missed part of spring training with a stress fracture in his pitching arm and just missed a month and a half for a partial UCL tear.

Today is his 1st start since then.

AZ might be wise to trade him now before TJ surgery. However he doesn't become a FA until 2026.

What if the Sox wanted to wait on a trade for Escobar to see how Gallen pitches today or another start after today ?  Lets say his arm holds up for 2 starts it's still at risk considering a partial tear of the UCL just doesn't heal in 1.5 months . Then there's the stress fracture earlier so his pitching arm is taking quite a beating.

Any trade with AZ might also take a bit longer because their GM is on leave because of his wife's illness  and they brought in Allard Baird a former GM and expanded the role of the Asst. GM. Trading Gallen would be a big decision for them . Also would be a big decision for the Sox to trade Rodon so they could stipulate that the Dbacks can trade Rodon to any team except the Indians as part of the trade.

Any way would be quite ballsy on the part of both teams so not likely to happen .

Most think trading Rodon would be a concession speech for this season but it doesn't have to be that way. Have to think outside the box some times.

8 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Trading your best player while trying to win a division probably isn’t the best move.  

Your best pitcher who has pitched 42 innings combined the last 2 years. How many innings do you think he is capable of this yr ? He's already pitched 79 innings and the season isn't half over.

If he had pitched 150 Innings last year you could reasonably expect 175-200 IP this year. He pitched 8 innings last year. Do the math . Unless he is monitored closely and shut down for a month or longer this year like Kopech he isn't going to make it through the playoffs and if he does he won't be the same pitcher he is now . Maybe Kopech can pick up the slack but if you can also get Gallen  there's your replacement for Rodon this year and  Lynn  next year if his arm holds up. If it doesn't you still have him through 2026 so you can still get a few years of him healthy .

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Your best pitcher who has pitched 42 innings combined the last 2 years. How many innings do you think he is capable off this yr ? He's already pitched 79 innings and the season isn't half over.

If he had pitched 150 Innings last year you could reasonably expect 175-200 IP this year. He pitched 8 innings last year. Do the math . Unless he is monitored closely and shut down for a month or longer this year like Kopech he isn't going to make it through the playoffs and if he does he won't be the same pitcher he is now . Maybe Kopech can pick up the slack but if you can also get Gallen  there's your replacement for Rodon this year and  Lynn  next year if his arm holds up. If it doesn't you still have him through 2026 so you can still get a few years of him healthy .

Maybe I am missing something , but why would AZ want Rodon? I would assume they want prospects back in any trade they make. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Maybe I am missing something , but why would AZ want Rodon? I would assume they want prospects back in any trade they make. 

To trade him for the best deal they can get. Or do a 3 way deal with another team and a prospect from the Sox with a prospect from another team and Rodon goes to the 3rd team ?

Thanks for asking even though I made 2 different posts in the thread that explained it  but it makes the thread longer  :) You get a thank you emoji !

3 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

I’m not training any assets if I’m KW and Hahn. I ride it out until next year and hope like hell that JR comes to his senses and lets  them end his ill fated manager experiment. Start fresh in 2022 and act like 2021 never happened. 

SO nothing at the deadline last year when we probably make the playoffs  And you want no deals  when you make the playoffs 2 times in a row for the 1st time in our franchise history ? I would call that unacceptable. Hahn was right . I'll paraphrase: Chances to win are sacred and they should be treated as such.

33 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

What I would do right now:

Trade Jimmy Lambert and Rutherford for Eduardo Escobar and Joakim Soria

Trade Crochet, Sheets, Adolfo and Thompson for Gallo and Kennedy

Holy overpay on the Gallo deal, Batman. 

I'd trade that package for Bryan Reynolds though.