Gavin Sheets - STUD

ron883

Burger really did similar compared to sheets in both minors and majors (120 wrc+ and 122 in AAA and mlb for burger and 131 and 125 for sheets) but I think sheets got more of a run because he is a lefty and the Sox are an extremely right handed line up.

The Sox simply needed some lefty bats and sheets offered that and did well. 

Burger didn't really Hit worse but with so many right handers in the lineup he probably is more expendable 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Burger really did similar compared to sheets in both minors and majors (120 wrc+ and 122 in AAA and mlb for burger and 131 and 125 for sheets) but I think sheets got more of a run because he is a lefty and the Sox are an extremely right handed line up.

The Sox simply needed some lefty bats and sheets offered that and did well. 

Burger didn't really Hit worse but with so many right handers in the lineup he probably is more expendable 

I wish Burger played more 2B in the minors this year. ala Moustakas

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I wish Burger played more 2B in the minors this year. ala Moustakas

Imagine Burger at 2B, Eloy in LF, Vaughn in RF, Sheets DH. That lineup would be fun as hell to watch. The defense would be all time bad though. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Imagine Burger at 2B, Eloy in LF, Vaughn in RF, Sheets DH. That lineup would be fun as hell to watch. The defense would be all time bad though. 

I'd permanently move Eloy to DH. lol Vaughn LF (passable).

I imagine Burger or Sheets to be on the block this offseason.  Both of them are redundant. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd permanently move Eloy to DH. lol Vaughn LF (passable).

I imagine Burger or Sheets to be on the block this offseason.  Both of them are redundant. 

As bad as Eloy looks out there sometimes, speed is a component of being able to play outfield and Vaughn just can't cover ground. He's fine when something like this year happens and your 3 best OF all get injured, but he's never going to be a full time OF.

Sheets is not redundant because there's really no other lefty power bat in the organization.

There's nowhere in the near future that both Burger and Vaughn are in the lineup, so one of them can be traded.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

As bad as Eloy looks out there sometimes, speed is a component of being able to play outfield and Vaughn just can't cover ground. He's fine when something like this year happens and your 3 best OF all get injured, but he's never going to be a full time OF.

Sheets is not redundant because there's really no other lefty power bat in the organization.

There's nowhere in the near future that both Burger and Vaughn are in the lineup, so one of them can be traded.

This will be an interesting offseason to watch in terms of Vaughn.  I agree that Burger is probably gone...no reason to keep him around.  But Vaughn...no way do you make him a platoon-player and I feel he is a better all-around hitter than Sheets but can he hit his way into the permanent lineup?  He is going to have to if he wants to beat Sheets out for that OF spot.  He also has the disadvantage of being RH though when compared to Sheets.  Will he ever have more value if you consider trading him?  Hope so because that means he is doing well...but if he does well then there is no need to trade him.  Hope he sticks in the organization for a long time!  He seems like the kind of guy you want on your team!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

This will be an interesting offseason to watch in terms of Vaughn.  I agree that Burger is probably gone...no reason to keep him around.  But Vaughn...no way do you make him a platoon-player and I feel he is a better all-around hitter than Sheets but can he hit his way into the permanent lineup?  He is going to have to if he wants to beat Sheets out for that OF spot.  He also has the disadvantage of being RH though when compared to Sheets.  Will he ever have more value if you consider trading him?  Hope so because that means he is doing well...but if he does well then there is no need to trade him.  Hope he sticks in the organization for a long time!  He seems like the kind of guy you want on your team!

Burger has options left right?

25 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Eloy may cover more ground, but the dude has been hurt probably 5 times just by playing the field.  He shouldn't anymore.  I thought we all learned this by now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I am slightly terrified we move Vaughn this offseason because we think Eloy can play LF and Burger/Sheets are capable DHs.

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am slightly terrified we move Vaughn this offseason because we think Eloy can play LF and Burger/Sheets are capable DHs. 

Vaughn seems like the guy we would regret moving in 5 years!  Sure Sheets will be on some highlights as he just hits massive HRs...but Vaughn seems like an everyday stud player.  Yeah he wore down this year but he did everything that was asked of him! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Vaughn seems like the guy we would regret moving in 5 years!  Sure Sheets will be on some highlights as he just hits massive HRs...but Vaughn seems like an everyday stud player.  Yeah he wore down this year but he did everything that was asked of him! 

I don’t disagree but I will also listen based on the return, especially if some team is trying to shift things around due to the new CBA. The list of guys I would move him for who might actually be marketed isn’t long.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I hope we keep them all.  Burger is the only one that might be moved IMO, but he hasn't built up meaningful value yet.  If I were GM for a rebuilding club the Burger/Sheets guys would be high on my get list.

• Like 2

Just now, poppysox said:

I hope we keep them all.  Burger is the only one that might be moved IMO, but he hasn't built up meaningful value yet.  If I were GM for a rebuilding club the Burger/Sheets guys would be high on my get list.

I hope we keep Vaughn and Sheets...but do agree that Burger won't get us much at this point.  Sheets however...depends upon the internal evaluation of him.  Do the White Sox see him being a 1 tool player (power from the left side)?  If so...this might be the time to see what one could get for him?  That left-handed bat really seems to be weighing on me though...because my head tells me Vaughn is going to be a stud for a long time yet I would be nervous trading Sheets this winter!  

• Like 1

Vaughn is a passable corner OF and looks better at 1B than Sheets IMO, whereas Sheets really shouldn’t play anywhere but DH in meaningful games.  His lefty power is definitely valuable for this RH heavy lineup.  You can keep both around and make it work.  Burger is a great story but unfortunately he just has no real path to the bigs here.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is Eloy/Vaughn in LF/RF and Sheets not a possibility next year?  Add Semien for 2B and you have the best lineup in baseball.

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Jimenez, LF
  4. Moncada, 3B#
  5. Semien, 2B
  6. Abreu, 1B
  7. Grandal, C#
  8. Vaughn, RF
  9. Sheets, DH*

With strategic late inning defensive replacements on the corners I think it works.  That lineup would potentially put quite a few games comfortably out of reach.  Adjust as needed in the postseason. 

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is Eloy/Vaughn in LF/RF and Sheets not a possibility next year?  Add Semien for 2B and you have the best lineup in baseball.

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Jimenez, LF
  4. Moncada, 3B#
  5. Semien, 2B
  6. Abreu, 1B
  7. Grandal, C#
  8. Vaughn, RF
  9. Sheets, DH*

I think Engel is the regular RF, and Vaughn rotates among RF/LF/1B/DH.

Don't see the Sox being the highest bidder for Semien though.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Robert, CF
  3. Jimenez, LF
  4. Moncada, 3B#
  5. Semien, 2B
  6. Abreu, 1B
  7. Grandal, C#
  8. Vaughn, RF
  9. Sheets, DH*

Why is Abreu 6 and Moncada 4 lolll.  Flip them.