Trevor Bauer receives 2 YEAR suspension from MLB

Kyyle23

Caulfield asking the hard questions like "do we even care if it's just a guy beating a woman and not this super famous guy?" And pointing out that Bauer should be liable for her injuries but maybe not because of 50 shades of gray is peak 2021 caulfield 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Caulfield asking the hard questions like "do we even care if it's just a guy beating a woman and not this super famous guy?" And pointing out that Bauer should be liable for her injuries but maybe not because of 50 shades of gray is peak 2021 caulfield 

I didn’t say he wasn’t liable or responsible.  That’s not the question at all.

He will undoubtedly have to pay a huge NDA settlement.

It’s what happens next?  If there’s not a criminal trial, which there probably won’t be, then what happens next to his career?

It all depends on any documentation that Bauer produces to back up his claims…and secondarily, what is a “reasonable standard of care” when one is participating in consensual/pre-agreed to BDSM?

He crossed the line, surely…but everything comes down to he said/she said except for the skull fracture, obviously.

For example, in the court of public opinion, is this worse than/equal to DeShaun Watson?  Why/why not?

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s what happens next?  If there’s not a criminal trial, which there probably won’t be, then what happens next to his career?

It all depends on any documentation that Bauer produces to back up his claims…and secondarily, what is a “reasonable standard of care” when one is participating in consensual/pre-agreed to BDSM?

He crossed the line, surely…but everything comes down to he said/she said except for the skull fracture, obviously.

"Except for the skull fracture, obviously"

my man did you even read this.  What the fuck dude

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

"Except for the skull fracture, obviously"

my man did you even read this.  What the fuck dude

I could break the xiphoid process between your ribs doing CPR improperly and cause a fracture as well.  There are all kinds of different fractures and levels of severity.

We’re treating this situation somehow like it’s even worse than “normal/regular DV” because it makes society somehow more uncomfortable.

Many of those players come back to MLB and certainly don’t end up in jail like the Argentinian golfer Cabrera recently for two years and likely more before all the cases are adjudicated.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I could break the xiphoid process between your ribs doing CPR improperly and cause a fracture as well.  There are all kinds of different fractures and levels of severity.

We’re treating this situation somehow like it’s even worse than “normal/regular DV” because it makes society somehow more uncomfortable.

Many of those players come back to MLB and certainly don’t end up in jail like the Argentinian golfer Cabrera recently for two years and likely more before all the cases are adjudicated.

Yea none of this means a damn thing dude.  Severity of the fracture doesn't negate or increase the punishment.  He fractured her skull while she was unconscious, the safe word didn't fucking matter.  Why are you trying to split hairs like this is nuanced and she was aware of what he was doing 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

What the fuck? You are a weirdo at best or one of those guys who are “just asking questions“ to mask their rape apologia

Then you want him to go to jail for how many years?

Life sentence?

If there was a clear cut way of dealing with this, then he would be in jail right now…if we just try him in the court of public opinion.

I don’t even like Bauer, don’t like his politics or his attitude or the way he treats women in general, but let’s hear everyone jumping all over me play judge and executioner…

Clearly you guys think he should never play baseball again as a pre-convicted rapist…so how long should he be sentenced?

If MLB can’t so clearly see this as you guys do…what is the reason why they are waiting to ban him for life?

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea none of this means a damn thing dude.  Severity of the fracture doesn't negate or increase the punishment.  He fractured her skull while she was unconscious, the safe word didn't fucking matter.  Why are you trying to split hairs like this is nuanced and she was aware of what he was doing 

So if it can be proven he did that to her while she was unconscious, it’s basically second degree murder charges…while arguably intentional or unintentional, if by applying enough force to fracture the skull then why isn’t he at the very least in a psychiatric treatment center if he is a danger to himself as well as to society?

If it is that cut and dried as some are making it, why is he not in jail today?

Why wouldn’t the Dodgers be severing their contractual relationship as quickly as possible?

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So if it can be proven he did that to her while she was unconscious, it’s basically second degree murder charges…while arguably intentional or unintentional, if by applying enough force to fracture the skull then why isn’t he at the very least in a psychiatric treatment center if he is a danger to himself as well as to society?

If it is that cut and dried as some are making it, why is he not in jail today?

Why wouldn’t the Dodgers be severing their contractual relationship as quickly as possible?

That's a great question why he isn't in jail. The best question you have asked today, congrats 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

From the reporting I've read it sounds there won't be a criminal trial (at least at this point) because she initially declined to press charges, though that could change based on a number of factors. Assuming he's not arrested, though, to your ultimate question: I think his future in baseball will depend upon how he handles the civil case. If he simply ends this with a confidential settlement I suspect the details that have leaked to the public will be enough to make MLB clubs steer clear of him. The only way I see him coming back from this (professionally) is by declining to settle, fighting the civil suit, and winning (which would of course require that the entire factual record is somehow favorable to him, and the public revelations give plenty of reason to doubt this is the case.)  Even he could win, the process itself would be lengthy, public, and damaging.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Then you want him to go to jail for how many years?

Life sentence?

If there was a clear cut way of dealing with this, then he would be in jail right now…if we just try him in the court of public opinion.

I don’t even like Bauer, don’t like his politics or his attitude or the way he treats women in general, but let’s hear everyone jumping all over me play judge and executioner…

Clearly you guys think he should never play baseball again as a pre-convicted rapist…so how long should he be sentenced?

If MLB can’t so clearly see this as you guys do…what is the reason why they are waiting to ban him for life?

I would jump to any conclusions as to why any criminal charges were brought against Bauer. The last comment that I've come across from the LAPD is this remains an ongoing criminal investigation which is "bigger than we (LAPD) thought".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/police-say-criminal-investigation-of-dodgers-pitcher-trevor-bauer-bigger-than-we-thought/ar-AALI2SZ

We were looking into some things and we thought we were nearing the end,’’  Lt. Carolyn Gordon, who is overseeing the investigation, told USA TODAY Sports Friday. "We are not close to the end. "This investigation is bigger than we thought. So we have to look a few more places. We want to try to uncover as much stuff as we can.''

Hours after this police statement, the Dodgers placed Trevor Bauer on paid leave.

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I would jump to any conclusions as to why any criminal charges were brought against Bauer. The last comment that I've come across from the LAPD is this remains an ongoing criminal investigation which is "bigger than we (LAPD) thought".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/police-say-criminal-investigation-of-dodgers-pitcher-trevor-bauer-bigger-than-we-thought/ar-AALI2SZ

Hours after this police statement, the Dodgers placed Trevor Bauer on paid leave.

Yes, he’s far from out of the woods on the criminal side. And I wouldn’t read much into the passage of a couple weeks without arrest, either. That’s not a significant amount of time in a criminal investigation, and with a public figure involved they’re probably going to be extra deliberate and conservative. 

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

From the reporting I've read it sounds there won't be a criminal trial (at least at this point) because she initially declined to press charges, though that could change based on a number of factors. Assuming he's not arrested, though, to your ultimate question: I think his future in baseball will depend upon how he handles the civil case. If he simply ends this with a confidential settlement I suspect the details that have leaked to the public will be enough to make MLB clubs steer clear of him. The only way I see him coming back from this (professionally) is by declining to settle, fighting the civil suit, and winning (which would of course require that the entire factual record is somehow favorable to him, and the public revelations give plenty of reason to doubt this is the case.)  Even he could win, the process itself would be lengthy, public, and damaging.

I’m almost certain he will pitch again. I just hope it’s not for my team. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mqr said:

I’m almost certain he will pitch again. I just hope it’s not for my team. 

You may be right—just comes down to different clubs’ risk tolerances, about which I have no idea.  The way this keeps spiraling, though, I could see this being a bigger deal than the “run-of-the-mill” DV case (a depressing idea). 

9 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

You can’t give consent if you‘re passed out. This is a pretty textbook case of rape, nothing to do with #metoo.

She specifically asked him to choke her out and giver her all the pain. Of course anybody reasonable would not think she wanted to have her skull fractured, but that seems like a hard legal case to make.

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

She specifically asked him to choke her out and giver her all the pain. Of course anybody reasonable would not think she wanted to have her skull fractured, but that seems like a hard legal case to make.

Be careful.  You’ll be mischaracterized as a rape apologist with this kind of logic.

Part of the problem here is also meeting twice.  

And no, that doesn’t mean that every guy who has “tolerable” sex with a woman has the right to fracture her skull or anally penetrate her without permission on the second encounter.

37 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Not if he goes to jail.

I am going to be honest here, there is about zero chance he goes to jail.  Cases like this are so notoriously hard to convict in, especially because it is the one crime where it is perfectly OK and standard protocol to put the victim on trial.   Offenders are rarely charged, let alone convicted.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to be honest here, there is about zero chance he goes to jail.  Cases like this are so notoriously hard to convict in, especially because it is the one crime where it is perfectly OK and standard protocol to put the victim on trial.   Offenders are rarely charged, let alone convicted.

Will Bauer be criminally charged?

Lawyers told The Times last week that in this case, obtaining a conviction could be hard because the woman returned for a second sexual encounter, and because of text messages released by Bauer's camp showing the woman encouraging rough sex. The bar for guilt in a criminal court is proof beyond reasonable doubt, and while a "he said, she said" case might find Bauer guilty in the court of public opinion, that will be much harder in a courtroom. The district attorney’s office could also hesitate to prosecute a high-profile case it may not win.

If more women come forward alleging similar acts by Bauer, however, it would increase the likelihood of a criminal case. According to theprosecutors and defense lawyers with whom The Times spoke, it seems more likely that the case will go to civil court, where the bar for conviction is a preponderance of evidence and Bauer could face a large indemnity if found guilty.

How long will this take to play out?

Though there’s been no timeline set for the completion of the police investigation, a case like this can take a long time to work its way through the legal system, particularly with a high-profile client whose lawyers will be adept at holding things up. Whether or not more women come forward will affect the timeline of both investigations as well.

From the MLB side, a lot depends on whether the MLBPA consents to extending Bauer's administrative leave past next week. If it does, that gives the league more time to investigate the woman's claims. If not, then it's not entirely clear what would happen, as there is no precedent for the situation. Any MLB investigation also faces the barrier that the league, unlike law enforcement, does not have subpoena power.

from the LA Times

https://www.yahoo.com/news/faq-know-trevor-bauer-case-130039375.html