2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Florida State has an interesting LHP tandem in Messick and Hubbart. Both seem to be command/control guys without eye popping velocity, but they are performing well. Messick seems to have a unique build and not the smoothest delivery though. Ranked 56th and 57th accordingly on BA's initial draft prospect list.

On 2/25/2022 at 9:34 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm gonna have to get schooled on that guy myself.  

Hunter Barco threw the crap out of it again tonight.  That guy checks a lot of boxes for the Sox.

If you're looking to learn more about Tommy White I recommend this biography

10366081.jpg

https://atozsports.com/nashville/tony-vitellos-great-reaction-tennessee-vols-pitcher-throwing-103-mph/

Ben Joyce of the Volunteers doing his own Garrett Crochet impression throwing 103 MPH

On 2/27/2022 at 7:16 AM, TomPickle said:

If you're looking to learn more about Tommy White I recommend this biography

10366081.jpg

Oh my god - I used to read Matt Christopher books like every week as a kid.  That and the Hardy Boys were literally my two favorite books.  I have probably read over 100 Matt Christopher books and now I am ready to go to library and big some up for my son.  

BA Stock Watch for this week has the following players with helium. Original rankings in parenthesis. Will post the blurbs for the two not ranked dudes.

- Kevin Parada: C, Georgia Tech (No. 15)

- Jonathan Cannon: RHP, Georgia (No. 58)

- Cooper Hjerpe: RHP, Oregon State (No. 90) 

- Luis Ramirez: RHP, Long Beach State (NR)

Ramirez was fantastic in the season opener against Mississippi State, when he retired the first 14 batters he faced and turned in six shutout innings to help Long Beach State upset the Bulldogs. In that outing he struck out five, walked two and didn’t allow a single hit.

He continued to pitch well in his second start of the season against Sacramento State last Friday, with seven shoutout innings while scattering six hits and striking out seven batters while walking none.

Scouts seem to regard Ramirez as one of the better college pitchers on the West Coast. Evaluators like his easy delivery and arm action and have noted that his velocity has trended in the right direction over the last few seasons.

So far in 2022 he’s sat around 92-93 mph with plus sinking action and impressive feel to spot his stuff around the strike zone. It's a heavy sinking fastball that should encourage plenty of weakly hit ground balls (so far he’s generated 17 groundouts and 10 fly outs) and scouts also think he has a strong changeup that mimics the shape of his fastball and could be effective as a swing-and-miss offering with increased usage.

On top of that, he has a breaking ball that gets above-average grades and features solid tilt and sharp, late bite at its best. The pitch will pop out of his hand and hang to his arm side, but when he executes down and to his glove side, it’s a legitimate swing-and-miss weapon.

- Cory Lewis: RHP, UC Santa Barbara (NR)

Lewis is the Friday night starter for UC Santa Barbara, and is coming off a six-inning shutout start against Nevada last Friday. After striking out 11 batters and walking four, he’s up to 21 strikeouts and six walks on the season over two starts and 10.2 total innings.

His performance during week 2 earned him Big West pitcher of the week honors.

Lewis is a 6-foot-5, 220-pound righthander who throws a fastball in the 89-92 mph range, but the pitch reportedly features standout induced vertical break and has gotten plenty of whiffs up in the zone. He’s also got a breaking ball in the 78-80 mph range that some scouts believe is his best pitch, in addition to a changeup and a knuckleball that could be a viable offering at the next level—a rarity for pitchers in the modern game.

In 2021, Lewis posted a 3.38 ERA over 80 innings while starting 10 games and relieving five, with solid strikeout (9.7 K/9) and walk rates (3.5 BB/9). Early in the 2022 season, Lewis’ strikeout (17.7 K/9) and walk rates (5.1 BB/9) are both up significantly, but he’s an interesting college arm with a unique pitch mix who could slide into the top 200 draft list on our next update.

Edited by DirtySox