2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

10 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Was just going through BA's Mock from last week, and the first college pitcher taken is Barco at 18. This college pitching class is wrecked.

It is but I'm starting to think that's the direction they're gonna go with their 1st pick.  Campbell, Cannon, Tidwell should be in the mix along with some of the injured guys like Preilipp, Sims or Rocker.....

10 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It is but I'm starting to think that's the direction they're gonna go with their 1st pick.  Campbell, Cannon, Tidwell should be in the mix along with some of the injured guys like Preilipp, Sims or Rocker.....

I know they like Hughes from Gonzaga too. They can’t afford Rocker imo

Since we are talking about the Sox possibly being into college pitching.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/10-breakout-pitchers-of-the-2022-college-baseball-season/

It’s been said that college baseball is light on proven pitchers this season, and while that’s unequivocally true, it does mean that the door is open for new standout arms to emerge.

These are 10 pitchers who stepped into the void, made big leaps from previous seasons and became big names on the scene in college baseball with breakout 2022 campaigns so far.

Jonathan Cannon, RHP, Georgia

Expectations have long been high for Cannon at Georgia, but the canceled 2020 season and an early-season bout with mononucleosis in 2021 have contributed to the righthander not quite putting it all together. He’s developed into a workhorse for the Bulldogs this season, however, as he has a 1.71 ERA, a matching .171 opponent batting average, 46 strikeouts and just three walks in 47.1 innings.

Cooper Hjerpe, LHP, Oregon State

Hjerpe had a 4.21 ERA in 77 innings last season, but this season, his excellence has helped Oregon State withstand some injuries to other key pieces on the pitching staff. In 41.2 innings, the lefthander has a 1.94 ERA, 68 strikeouts compared to 10 walks and a .180 opponent batting average. Last weekend against Stanford, Hjerpe struck out 17 batters, which tied the Oregon State single-game program record.

Jake Bennett, LHP, Oklahoma

After putting up a 6.34 ERA in 55.1 innings for the Sooners last year, Bennett has a 2.09 ERA, a 46-to-8 strikeout-to-walk ratio and a .205 opponent batting average in 43 innings this season. Crucially, he has also avoided the long ball. In 2021, he surrendered seven of them. This season? Just one. He gives Oklahoma a chance to win every single Friday night.

Edited by DirtySox

9 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Don’t know anything about this draft class but I want the Sox to do the Montgomery/Kath approach but with outfielders this time.

I want a deeper class this time. I like last years draft a lot but they need some more arms.

9 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Don’t know anything about this draft class but I want the Sox to do the Montgomery/Kath approach but with outfielders this time.

They took two HS infielders last year because they finally took the two highest rated players on their board.  If they take two HS outfielders this year it should because they are the two highest rated players on their board and not because they're trying to check boxes.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They took two HS infielders last year because they finally took the two highest rated players on their board.  If they take two HS outfielders this year it should because they are the two highest rated players on their board and not because they're trying to check boxes.  

If they wanted to get the two highest rated players possible, they should have offered Rodon the QO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2022 at 12:17 PM, PolishPrince34 said:

That's a brutal last name.

Yeah but once you see it, it's almost impossible to forget about it. That's something that stays with you for a long time.....