2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I hated the Sheets and Walker picks. Sean Burke has been awesome though. Totally worth $900K 

I’m so glad that Hostetler isn’t making the draft decisions anymore. No more prioritizing 1B only, college corner types. 

14 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I hated the Sheets and Walker picks. Sean Burke has been awesome though. Totally worth $900K 

I just can't  figure out why team would pay any college 3rd year player overslot. Frankly, most should be paid underslot considering their negotiating position.  
Maybe that's why other teams an afford to  punt for a 50K player while the Sox punt for a 10K talent.

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I just can't  figure out why team would pay any college 3rd year player overslot. Frankly, most should be paid underslot considering their negotiating position.  
Maybe that's why other teams an afford to  punt for a 50K player while the Sox punt for a 10K talent.

They wanted Sean Burke. They agreed to a deal with Sean Burke for $900K. He likely could've gone earlier. This is the part of the process that you're refusing to understand. It's overslot because the White Sox felt he was a better player than the 94th pick. Think of it as them trading up to select him. That's essentially what it would be like in other drafts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They wanted Sean Burke. They agreed to a deal with Sean Burke for $900K. He likely could've gone earlier. This is the part of the process that you're refusing to understand. It's overslot because the White Sox felt he was a better player than the 94th pick. Think of it as them trading up to select him. That's essentially what it would be like in other drafts. 

Sure he could have gone earlier; but he didn't.  Unless they had an agreement pre draft and that agreement caused other teams to pass (maybe that's what you were saying),  I still can't see why you'd pay over slot.  It's just consumer surplus.  In every pick in a draft (except for maybe the first round)  there is someone on your list ranked higher than the position you are drafting  due to varying evaluations of players.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Sure he could have gone earlier; but he didn't.  Unless they had an agreement pre draft and that agreement caused other teams to pass (maybe that's what you were saying),  I still can't see why you'd pay over slot.  It's just consumer surplus.  

Not pre-draft necessarily but during for sure. His camp was looking for $900K. The White Sox met that price and he ended up here. It happens in every round, with every team, every year. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I got into mlb draft projections much deeper when the Sox were in rebuild mode and have followed the last couple years best I can.   I really appreciate so many of you in these long term draft threads giving your thoughts and opinions. Anyway with just over a month before the draft I would love to see what your fav first pick would be in each of the four demographic groups while assuming being available for Sox:

1. High school pitcher

2. High school hitter

3. College pitcher

4. College hitter 

28 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Sure he could have gone earlier; but he didn't.  Unless they had an agreement pre draft and that agreement caused other teams to pass (maybe that's what you were saying),  I still can't see why you'd pay over slot.  It's just consumer surplus.  In every pick in a draft (except for maybe the first round)  there is someone on your list ranked higher than the position you are drafting  due to varying evaluations of players.

That's literally how this works.  Kid agrees to 900k with the Sox. Then he tells everyone else it will take a million plus to sign him, and don't bother if you won't pay because he will just go back to school if not. Other teams pass on him because they have other plans. As Jimmy said, it happens all the time.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I wish they'd bring back the 40 rounds, or at least 30.  If nothing else, they were fun to listen to.
And there's always the next MB.

There may not be a 38th round but draft and follow is back.

• Like 2

Fun!

Notes:
HT: 5-10 | Wt: 167 | B-T: B-B
Commit/Drafted: Mississippi State
Age At Draft: 19.1
Cijntje is one of the more unique talents in the 2022 class, as a legitimate switch-pitcher who routinely works as a lefthander and righthander. His stuff is louder from the right side, with a fastball that has been into the mid 90s and up to 96 but he’s also gotten into the lower 90s with his left hand, though he mostly pitches in the upper 80s from that side. He’s a smaller pitcher at just 5-foot-10, 167 pounds, but has surprisingly good feel to pitch from both sides of the plate. Cijntje is committed to Mississippi State.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Backwash07 said:

I got into mlb draft projections much deeper when the Sox were in rebuild mode and have followed the last couple years best I can.   I really appreciate so many of you in these long term draft threads giving your thoughts and opinions. Anyway with just over a month before the draft I would love to see what your fav first pick would be in each of the four demographic groups while assuming being available for Sox:

1. High school pitcher

2. High school hitter

3. College pitcher

4. College hitter 

1. Brandon Barreira 

2. Tucker Toman 

3. Connor Prielipp 

4. Drew Gilbert 

5 hours ago, Backwash07 said:

1. High school pitcher

2. High school hitter

3. College pitcher

4. College hitter 

Disclaimer. I don't know shit except what I read from publications and see on Twitter/YouTube. My "all for fun" selections with lousy reasoning behind them:

1. Brandon Barriera

2. Jett Williams. (Probably a long shot as he seems to have some helium.)

3. Connor Prielipp

4. Ryan Cermak (Harold has sold me.)

• Fire 1

Looks like we have another Mayo mock.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-2022-draft-combine-edition?t=mlb-draft-coverage

26. White Sox: Kumar Rocker, RHP, Tri-City ValleyCats (No. 39)
That's right, he’s back in a mock. The reports of his stuff in his first two starts have largely been very good, though he will still have to answer questions on the medical side for a team to feel really comfortable taking him in the first round.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Backwash07 said:

1. High school pitcher

2. High school hitter

3. College pitcher

4. College hitter 

1. Robby Snelling

2. Tucker Toman

3. Connor Prielipp

4. Drew Gilbert

Any chance on the White Sox taking a run at Robert Moore the second baseman from Arkansas in the 3rd or 4th round?   Young man was a top 30 pick on many draft boards before the college season started but he had a really down year with the bat.   I believe his father is working in the Royals organization.

2 hours ago, Johno said:

Any chance on the White Sox taking a run at Robert Moore the second baseman from Arkansas in the 3rd or 4th round?   Young man was a top 30 pick on many draft boards before the college season started but he had a really down year with the bat.   I believe his father is working in the Royals organization.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit and his dad is the GM of the Royals Dayton Moore. 

Law updated his big board of 100. Wish he provided a previous ranking to compare it to. The following players had some big jumps/falls when comparing the old and new list. Will note old rank in parenthesis.

13.) Brock Jones (42)

18.) Carson Whisenhunt (47)

25.) Jacob Melton (NR)

26.) Peyton Graham (45)

28.) Connor Prielipp (15)

30.) Thomas Harrington (44)

32.) Robby Snelling (72)

34.) Kumar Rocker (46)

40.) Max Wagner (NR)

41.) Dalton Rushing (70)

48.) Nick Morabito (NR)

51.) Roman Anthony (NR)