2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Pipeline mock from Callis.

26. White Sox: Tucker Toman, 3B, Hammond HS, Columbia, S.C. (No. 42)
As one of the best high school hitters available, Toman could go almost anywhere in the second half of the first round. Brock Jones and Gilbert are two college outfield possibilities, while the White Sox's affinity for Indiana products and high school pitchers could lead them to Andrew Dutkanych.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-22-2022?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wish the Sox would prioritize up the middle players a bit more, but do realize that's hard picking at the back end of every round. 

I do too, it’s a glaring hole in the org. They need more athletes too. 

9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

How high is he going to go and who is interested? Boras wants like $3-$3.5 million. Anyone going to do it? 

Sounds like there was a lot of heat there and he didn't disappoint.  I think everyone should be interested but if I had to guess I'd say the Pads, Cleve, NYY or Bos could be likely landing spots.  Maybe the Mets.

He's not the dynamic high ceiling middle of the field athete you would like in a 1st round pick but that doesn't mean he's not interesting.  He's a switch hitter with avg/above avg hit and above avg power from both sides.  That's a rare hitting skillset.  Where it gets dicey is his secondary tools.  He's a below avg athlete and runner.  He's also a below avg defender w/a fringe avg arm so it's very unlikely he stays on the dirt.  When you start looking around for players who match that type of skillset it gets very difficult.  Can he be Ian Happ? That would be a really good pick. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

@Harold's Leg Lift What about Owen Murphy?  Local kid.  Dominated.  

It's going to be very interesting to see who and where Owen gets popped.  He's a HS 6 foot right hander so teams that scout bodies/tools are going to be out because he has no remaining projection and it's command over stuff.  Teams that look at stats/data will be the ones in play because it's plus command of 3 avg/above avg pitches.  He's one of the more polished pitchers in the draft but at the end of the day he's a HS right hander with an avg fastball.   I could see him going in the 30-50 range.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's going to be very interesting to see who and where Owen gets popped.  He's a HS 6 foot right hander so teams that scout bodies/tools are going to be out because he has no remaining projection and it's command over stuff.  Teams that look at stats/data will be the ones in play because it's plus command of 3 avg/above avg pitches.  He's one of the more polished pitchers in the draft but at the end of the day he's a HS right hander with an avg fastball.   I could see him going in the 30-50 range.

Kansas City is my guess 

BA Mock 5.0

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2022-mlb-mock-draft-v-50/

White Sox
Gabriel Hughes
Gonzaga RHP
Notes:
Total Bonus Pool: $6,289,100
Pick Slot Value: $2,788,000

The White Sox get linked to bats plenty, but I think it’s just as likely that they go after a college arm, and they could be thrilled to get Hughes at this spot after he stumbled down the stretch. At one point he was a favorite to be the first college pitcher off the board and he checks a lot of boxes with size, youth and power stuff.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Hughes is realistic. Melton would surprise me. I'd be surprised by any college hitter at this point. I think it's prep bat or college arm. 

I’m hoping prep bat. I don’t think there’s first round value in most of the college arms other than Prielipp.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34160528/2022-mlb-mock-draft-20-kiley-mcdaniel-projects-first-41-picks-odds-no-1-overall

Kiley McDaniel

Dylan Beavers, RF, Cal

I think the White Sox will play cleanup on the back end of this run of college bats. Since a similar group of scouts/execs took a college power hitter with a divisive hand move (Zack Collins in 2016) at 10th overall, I could totally see them taking another divisive hand-move guy in Beavers this year.