2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

On 7/1/2022 at 4:35 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nick Hostetler is no longer part of the decision making process, Kiley.  That seems important.  Also, just call it a hitch ya douche.  

I hope that applies to taking likely relievers in the first-round too.

41 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I disagree.  Mike Shirley took a starting pitcher. Rick Hahn et al turned him into a reliever.  

What they did in 2020 was fine. As soon as Jerry Reinsdorf forced Tony La Russa on the front office though, his starting chances were basically over. No way Tony was going to allow that dude to pitch in the minors. Crochet needed to be in Double-A pitching every 5th day last year. Now he may never start because of it. That's a fair point on Shirley though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What they did in 2020 was fine. As soon as Jerry Reinsdorf forced Tony La Russa on the front office though, his starting chances were basically over. No way Tony was going to allow that dude to pitch in the minors. Crochet needed to be in Double-A pitching every 5th day last year. Now he may never start because of it. That's a fair point on Shirley though. 

Would you have pitched Crochet every 5th day and shut him down in July?

Or pitch him 3 innings or so every start for the season?

That about what his innings limit would have allowed.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Would you have pitched Crochet every 5th day and shut him down in July?

Or pitch him 3 innings or so every start for the season?

That about what his innings limit would have allowed.

Good point. I would’ve limited his innings with a plan to insert him in big league bullpen down the stretch. Do you think he’ll ever build enough innings to start because that’s what he wants to do next year. I don’t see it 

Good point. I would’ve limited his innings with a plan to insert him in big league bullpen down the stretch. Do you think he’ll ever build enough innings to start because that’s what he wants to do next year. I don’t see it 

That plan would work. I just don't see much difference from it and doing what they did with Kopech. Building innings is building innings. Once they get to that critical number, starting can happen.

It will be tough after missing a year due to the injury. Just depends on how patient they want to be. It will another 2 years of building innings to starter level.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

That plan would work. I just don't see much difference from it and doing what they did with Kopech. Building innings is building innings. Once they get to that critical number, starting can happen.

It will be tough after missing a year due to the injury. Just depends on how patient they want to be. It will another 2 years of building innings to starter level.

Kopech started throughout the minors. Crochet didn’t even start in college. There’s just no innings base 

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Kopech started throughout the minors. Crochet didn’t even start in college. There’s just no innings base 

Correct. Which is why they needed to keep the innings at a reliever level for 2 years, regardless of the MLB or minors.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Correct. Which is why they needed to keep the innings at a reliever level for 2 years, regardless of the MLB or minors.

Okay fair. I just don’t think it’s feasible to build him up as a starter on a contending White Sox team. You have to plan for like 7-8 starters because he’ll be really limited. What’s a feasible innings load for 2023? It just makes more sense for a team like Oakland than it does the Sox 

Okay fair. I just don’t think it’s feasible to build him up as a starter on a contending White Sox team. You have to plan for like 7-8 starters because he’ll be really limited. What’s a feasible innings load for 2023? It just makes more sense for a team like Oakland than it does the Sox 

That's why he's being used as a reliever in the MLB.  He still gets to the same innings limit but it's spaced out throughout the year and it's useful innings as he's learning ti get out MLB hitters.

I would think 60-70 innings. He will have an entire year to condition his arm, trunk and legs for the season.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's why he's being used as a reliever in the MLB.  He still gets to the same innings limit but it's spaced out throughout the year and it's useful innings as he's learning ti get out MLB hitters.

I would think 60-70 innings. He will have an entire year to condition his arm, trunk and legs for the season.

Do you think ~70 innings is the same regardless of how he gets there, or would it be more beneficial to be used as a multi inning reliever and for an occasional spot start? I am still hoping the Sox eventually transition Crochet into starting, but this thread has me wondering if that's realistic given how long it would take for him to become a 150 inning guy.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Do you think ~70 innings is the same regardless of how he gets there, or would it be more beneficial to be used as a multi inning reliever and for an occasional spot start? I am still hoping the Sox eventually transition Crochet into starting, but this thread has me wondering if that's realistic given how long it would take for him to become a 150 inning guy.

Crochet is on record as saying he wants to be a starting pitcher next year. Good luck with that. 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Crochet is on record as saying he wants to be a starting pitcher next year. Good luck with that. 

I was hoping Crochet getting hurt could reset his development plan where they gradually build him up from the ground floor as a starter. But that seems difficult to envision now after thinking about how the Sox value relievers and it'll take years for him to build up the innings to be a viable SP anyways.

23 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think they can do it either way. Innings are innings at this point.

It will take 2 years to get up spot starter innings. Probably 3 to get to 150 that's if his body can take it without injury.

That's the big unknown. He has never done it so can he handle it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I was hoping Crochet getting hurt could reset his development plan where they gradually build him up from the ground floor as a starter. But that seems difficult to envision now after thinking about how the Sox value relievers and it'll take years for him to build up the innings to be a viable SP anyways.

It will be the same innings regardless if he us a starter or reliever. 

• Like 1

No change in the latest Prospect's Live mock draft for the White Sox. These guys have lots of intel on the Sox usually. Good sources. Tucker Toman and Roman Anthony would be a very solid first day. 

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No change in the latest Prospect's Live mock draft for the White Sox. These guys have lots of intel on the Sox usually. Good sources. Tucker Toman and Roman Anthony would be a very solid first day. 

Love it. Give me more prep bats!

2 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I'm staying away from a guy who just had shoulder surgery. No chance I would consider Rocker. Way too risky!

The upside is too great. Pitchers get used up anyway. Get the most you can out of him. The stuff is still there. Rodon had shoulder surgery and didn't lose much. 

Look if Rocker is willing to share medicals and workout for the team, as well as sign for a slot type bonus, you take him every time if he checks the boxes.  He has front line potential if he healthy and recovered. 

He would also be a quick mover potentially, which you know the Sox would love.