2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

What is Preliepp's velocity looking like?

The one thing that worries me, if he is the Sox pick, is that this could be another Crochet situation because he doesn't have the innings base and track record of being a starting pitcher. Only 7 starts and 28 IP at Bama.

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think calling him a reliever at this point is short-sighted.

I think what you said is true.  But, with this organization, the reliever risk is heightened...by a lot.
I really don't want the Sox to draft anyone in in the first few rounds (until they start punting) that has any resemblance to a reliever.

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

What is Preliepp's velocity looking like?

The one thing that worries me, if he is the Sox pick, is that this could be another Crochet situation because he doesn't have the innings base and track record of being a starting pitcher. Only 7 starts and 28 IP at Bama.

This is a really good point. 

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think it’s their preference. The pitching class is underrated imo 

I can believe there are still some underrated effects of the pandemic year for this group, especially with so many of the write-ups I read knocking them for failure of development of another pitch or something there. They lost a year, could be it. They had to re-build stamina. Obviously, that same stuff can be applied to last year but last years group also had a ton of depth from what happened the year before, and maybe losing freshman year of college turns out to be worse than sophomore year.

That said, would go for hitting too, but the "worst draft class" thing I can see being off in a few years for this reason. 

I think they're gonna take a pitcher with the first pick but it wouldn't shock me if they went with a bat.  Last year they were taking  Gunnar Hoglund but when he was gone there wasn't another pitcher they liked better than Montgomery.  If Horton, Preilipp, Whisenhunt and Campbell are gone and Cole Young,  Jett Williams or Drew Gilbert are somehow sitting there I could definitely see them taking one of them over the Hughes, Tidwell, Hjerpe group.  I think that scenario is unlikely but in this draft they should be ready for the unlikely.  

One thing I feel pretty strong about is they're gonna get a college catcher somewhere in the top 5 picks.  Their organization catching situation is grim.  

The ESPN potential draft lists for the Sox and Braves were similar; but for the Braves they mentioned that they could sign one of them underslot.  Underslot seems like it would work for the Sox too, considering the volume of college pitchers in the 1/2 round category (recognizing they draft 6 spots later and that underslot in early rounds is not in Sox MO).

Edited by GreenSox

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The ESPN potential draft lists for the Sox and Braves were similar; but for the Braves they mentioned that they could sign one of them underslot.  Underslot seems like it would work for the Sox too, considering the volume of college pitchers in the 1/2 round category (recognizing they draft 6 spots later and that underslot in early rounds is not in Sox MO).

Weren't you just complaining about punting picks? 

I agree.  I hate the Sox strategy of putting most of their money in a couple players then drafting college seniors with the rest.  Trust your scouts to find the guys who will take slot money 3-10 and your development department to turn them into big leaguers.  That's what the best orgs with the deepest systems do. If you can't trust your guys to do their job then why the hell are they there.

• Like 1

I think last year was mostly fine, but I do think they should really push back on a selection like Burke. They paid him like a comp pick, and in absolute terms he got paid similar to Dylan Smith from Alabama and they were rated highly. But the Tigers only go slightly over for Smith, while the sox have to go way over for Burke. There are just so few college players getting overslots near where Burke got it. You have to be so so much higher to prioritize him that much. Colson was slot. It wasn't Kath alone that really screwed them, it was Kath + Burke putting them at 1M deficit. They could have punted their 3rd and had a few more Gosswein level players and still been able to afford MacDougal.

But Gosswein + Burke and in general just feels like sox have had to pay a lot of overslot deals to college players that just doesn't seem that common looking at other team lists.

2020 I think it's easy to criticize now with Kelly's failure to launch so far, and it was a weird year...but it was clear the minor leagues were headed for a cliff of talent, the draft dropped to only 5 rounds...I don't think it was the year to make that move. I mean Adisyn coffey is awful in A ball and Kade Mechals may never play. Obviously horn paid off nicely, but jeeze, just too big of a hole.

looking back through previous drafts and how players are performing...still gonna say I think soxtalk is a pretty good drafter. A lot of the players we hate suck, and a good number of board favorites are doing good.

Big miss on Ed Howard (though I think he was a bit more of a casual draft follow fav). 

Easy to say now that they are loaded in the top 100s but yeah I think the Cards have become my new fav drafting team. They've taken a lot of my fun 2nd round picks (because the league gives them free picks), but also man the Jordan Walker pick was pretty big time, especially given the pandemic year.

Ooof man Adrian Del Castillo just brutal. Was so obvious he wasn't going to cut it, surprised some of the draft sites were so conservative in dropping him down last year.

https://www.mlb.com/player/adrian-del-castillo-680728?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2022

18 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I said this in this thread and I’ll say it again but I wouldn’t be too upset if the Sox pulled a Giants/Angels and drafted all pitchers. I wouldn’t like it but I would understand it. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

looking back through previous drafts and how players are performing...still gonna say I think soxtalk is a pretty good drafter. A lot of the players we hate suck, and a good number of board favorites are doing good.

Big miss on Ed Howard (though I think he was a bit more of a casual draft follow fav). 

Easy to say now that they are loaded in the top 100s but yeah I think the Cards have become my new fav drafting team. They've taken a lot of my fun 2nd round picks (because the league gives them free picks), but also man the Jordan Walker pick was pretty big time, especially given the pandemic year.

Ooof man Adrian Del Castillo just brutal. Was so obvious he wasn't going to cut it, surprised some of the draft sites were so conservative in dropping him down last year.

https://www.mlb.com/player/adrian-del-castillo-680728?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2022

The biggest board hit was Mike Trout. I don't think there was a poster on the FS board in 2009 that didn't love Trout.