2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

From Law.

Chicago White Sox select P Noah Schultz No. 26
Schultz missed almost the entire spring after contracting mono in March, but did return in mid-May and appeared to have recovered fully from the illness. He’s 6-9 and very projectable, coming from a very low 3/4 slot that will, of course, elicit comparisons to Randy Johnson and Chris Sale. The slot alone gives him deception against left-handed batters, and his height gives him some natural extension to further that. He has a sweepy slider that projects to plus. He should end up throwing comfortably in the mid-90s given his frame and the way his arm works, with his changeup a clear third among his current offerings.

He’s considered a very tough sign due to his Vanderbilt commitment. Bear in mind, history is working against Schultz becoming a durable starter: Only five pitchers in MLB history 6-9 or taller have thrown at least 500 innings, and only three have topped 1,000. One of them is in the Hall of Fame, though, and I’m sure any team making a run at Schultz this spring will have Randy Johnson on their minds.

The White Sox were the only team I ever heard on Noah Schultz, a 6-foot-9 lefty from the Chicago area who was presumed to be going to Vanderbilt, especially after a spring when he barely pitched after a bad case of mono.

If you saw Eury Perez in the Futures Game, you have some idea of what Schultz looks like, except from the left side – huge, but with a low slot and some extension out front, along with a sweepy slider that plays up because of where his arm finishes. He’s very projectable, low 90s now but with a ton of velocity upside. That said, there have been very, very few pitchers this tall to last as starters, and two of them, Randy Johnson and Chris Young, were unicorns.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

1 minute ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I would love to know how much they are paying Schultz. Hoping he’s a White Sox fan and takes slot. Dictates the rest of the draft. 

Harold can correct me on this but thought I heard he’s a Cubs fan

21 minutes ago, ron883 said:

In all honesty, I wonder if they promised to fast track him to the majors in a relief role? I'd imagine that would make him more likely to sign

He should require that the Sox write into the contract that they WON'T do that.  

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

And non-draft stuff.
Be that as it may, MLB, Law, Fangraphs - not in the top 40.  Mono shouldn't drop anyone; it's not like surgery.

Mono can be worse. It can really change someone's endurance. It has ruined careers if runners.

That's why his performance after returning was so important.