2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

24 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Keeping my fingers crossed they don’t have to punt any picks. Do we know what Pallette is asking for?

Haven't seen anything. I wouldn't be surprised if he's slot, overslot, or underslot.

Pallette is a 4 year college player; should be underslot, if anything.
Schultz could be overslot; but reaching for an overslot player doesn't seem like the best approach.  So, I'm thinking (hoping?) that he's slot.

Oh, they'll punt. I just hope they don't do so as obnoxiously (5 rounds of 10K players) as they have recently.

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's not going to miss much development time but there are other things here to woory about.  I don't like the small frame, the max effort level and that he was also hurt his sophmore year. He has a pretty big hill to climb.

Well, as the kids would say, he's going to be running up that hill, be running up that building.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I think sox should try with Dunhurst, but I know in 5 years I'll be bored by him hitting .500 OPS in birmingham.

I get it but I'm getting sick of seeing "bat first" catchers who end up hitting .200 in the big leagues while not being able to call a game or handle a pitching staff.  I'm all for a lock down defensive catcher who will also occasionally knock the ball out of the yard. 

21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I get it but I'm getting sick of seeing "bat first" catchers who end up hitting .200 in the big leagues while not being able to call a game or handle a pitching staff.  I'm all for a lock down defensive catcher who will also occasionally knock the ball out of the yard. 

Like a Ron karkovice? 

36 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I agree, but I think some of the day 1 guys I'd feel good about having the opportunity to check that box. But I also like Carlos Perez a lot anyway. (edit: and I meant to say here that I don't feel like the prospects today have made me confident they have much of a chance to provide what you wanted depth wise in this org)

But when we have such limited expectations, I'd also point out that a guy like Garrett Stubbs was available for a song, his expectation is what you described, and sox are mostly just idiots. Their journey with catchers during the hahn era just seems like a bunch of own-goals over and over.

Just now, bmags said:

Of course not, I'm going down the BA 500 lol

Ha ok.  He's really interesting but the bat isn't ready.  He has this big leg kick that he doesn't time up that leads to a lot of swing and miss.  Great athlete (3 sport guy) above avg power potential good defender strong arm.  Won't stay at SS but should stay on the dirt.  He's also a great makeup kid but he has to go to college. Think Gio Urshela.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Not sure if it was a mistake, maybe jerry way afraid rodon takes the QO and he has to pay the 18 mil or whatever the QO is now

A calculated risk, but one that should have been taken.  Draft pick or Rodon for another year is better than letting him walk for absolutely nothing. 

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Not sure if it was a mistake, maybe jerry way afraid rodon takes the QO and he has to pay the 18 mil or whatever the QO is now

But they picked up Kimbrel's.  I think they thought KImbrel would have a vigorous trade market (they announced the plan to trade him right after picking up his contract; probably not the best way to play your cards).  FO out to lunch on the entire market last offseason.
Anyway, Pollock is getting Rodon's money.

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

But they picked up Kimbrel's.  I think they thought KImbrel would have a vigorous trade market (they announced the plan to trade him right after picking up his contract; probably not the best way to play your cards).  FO out to lunch on the entire market last offseason.
Anyway, Pollock is getting Rodon's money.

Ugh, this team would have been so much better off with Rodon than Pollock

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

Admittedly, I wrote this class off after their first pick. I love Noah Schultz. I think he’s the third-best prep arm in this class with the ceiling neither Dylan Lesko nor Brock Porter possess. But I thought the cost was going to be so prohibitive, it would crush their later rounds. I was wrong. In the second round, Peyton Pallette may end up a first round value as he fully recovers from TJ. He’s got a lightning quick arm, elite-level spin rates on the curveball and a heater up to 99 that hops. A whole lot of Walker Buehler in the Arkansas hurler. As we move down their board, I’m not entirely sure why Jonathan Cannon would last until round three. He’s got plus command, up to 97 with a budding slider, an average changeup and a cutter he’s just scratching the surface with. It’s no. 3 starter upside. I like the floor Jordan Sprinkle presents defensively. By all accounts, his down year at the plate isn’t indicative of the offensive player he can become. Eric Adler in the sixth round is risky. He may never get past Double-A. But if he figures out his command, he might have the best pure stuff in college baseball. Bar none. It’s high-leverage, lockdown closer stuff. I think catcher Michael Turner is a sleeper in this class, much like Charlie Welch was for the Mariners in 2021. Just didn’t get the runway over his college career to impress scouts. Tim Elko and Jacob Burke are both good hitters, the latter providing some defensive value in the field. Elko is a DH-or-bust type, but a PR dream. Elsewhere on day three, Brooks Baldwin and Bryce Willits can really hit. Billy Seidl is one of the bigger relief sleepers in this class with outstanding release traits and a fastball that explodes at the top of the zone. If the White Sox can wrangle him in to even fringe-average command, he’s got 8th inning upside. 

From Prospects Live "Standout Draft Classes."

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/7/19/6-standout-draft-classes

Edited by DirtySox
  • Fire 3