2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

The law review of the draft is very good. I think vs. other drafts we really did get 6 solid guys rather than the no doubt 2-3 of the last two drafts. And maybe we continue to find solid player depth in the 11-20 rounds (sox really have done well there. Kudos for the list yesterday I believe @southsider2k5 pulled - Zevala, Mendick, Engel, Bummer, Martin, foster & a few more all from day 3. Not super stars, but for years we couldn't get a call up to be productive)

Finally, I don’t grade drafts. I think that whole idea is absurd. The best I can offer is to tell you that I think teams did well or not well based on what I know about the players available at those picks.

The White Sox took a high school pitcher in the first round for the first time in 20-plus years, taking local lefty Noah Schultz (1), a 6-foot-9 Vanderbilt commit who comes from a low slot that gives him a lot of deception — left-handed high school hitters probably called in sick whenever he was the opposing starter — and projects to get to the mid-90s with a plus slider. He missed most of the spring with mono, but returned with the same stuff in May. The history of pitchers that tall is not great, though; very few stayed healthy long enough to work out as starters, although one of the ones who did ended up in the Hall of Fame. Arkansas right-hander Peyton Pallette (2) missed the spring after Tommy John surgery but was a very likely first-rounder before that, showing three above-average pitches including a plus curveball and a fastball up to 96 mph. His arm is usually late, which isn’t great for a starter, but he has all the other ingredients to be an above-average member of a rotation. Georgia starter Jonathan Cannon (3) added a cutter this year to try to get something to miss bats, and switched back to using a four-seamer as his primary fastball. He looks like he should start, and he has the arm strength and pitch mix to do so, but he can’t miss enough bats. He’s a great project for player development.

Infielder Jordan Sprinkle (4) is a good buy-low draft pick, as he came into the spring as a possible top 30 or 40 pick and then just didn’t hit, losing contact and power. He had real trouble with sliders down and away, and there are some swing issues to work out, but if the White Sox get the 2021 version of Sprinkle and he stays at shortstop, this is a steal. Ball State lefty Tyler Schweitzer (5) has fringy velocity but the fastball plays up thanks to its spin rate and vertical break, while his average-ish slider gets a lot of swings and misses thanks to its contrast with the heater. He has average control and just short of average command, but avoids hard contact thanks to the movement on the fastball, giving him back-end starter upside.

Right-hander Eric Adler (6) is 93-96 mph with a decent curveball but he walked 25, hit nine batters and threw 14 wild pitches in 21 1/3 innings for Wake Forest this spring — meaning 30 percent of the batters he faced reached first base without swinging the bat. The delivery isn’t that bad, but in some sense that’s even more of a problem because there isn’t some obvious fix at hand.

Jonathan Cannon is definitely going to be traded to the Guardians in 2 years for a plug in player lol.

• Like 1

Pipeline's favorite pick from each team.

https://www.mlb.com/news/favorite-picks-from-2022-mlb-draft?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

White Sox: Peyton Pallette, RHP (second round)
The White Sox got a college pitcher with first-round talent in the second round because Pallette had Tommy John surgery in January. Before he got hurt, he drew comparisons to Walker Buehler with his wiry 6-foot-1 build and quality stuff, including a 93-95 mph fastball that touches 99 and a hammer 78-83 mph curveball.

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told he was never really in the mix.  

That seems like the case. Just heard some podcasts saying that Toman may have asked for more at the moment than Schultz, this would refute that.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

That seems like the case. Just heard some podcasts saying that Toman may have asked for more at the moment than Schultz, this would refute that.

No one knows what a players number is not even teams until right up to the draft.  If a players number is somehow made public it's an exaggerated number put out by the agent to try and artifically increase his players profile and it's starting to get annoying. 

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

I heard a rumor the other day that Schultz only gave one team his number, and it was the Sox.  New source so who knows how accurate.

Edited by fathom

• 1 month later...