Yoan Moncada should volunteer to play 2b this year

VAfan

I think Chris Getz is the one pushing Burger aggressively up the ladder, and rightly so. They’re going to fit him in next year, probably as a right fielder, until Jose declines at 1st. Sheets is the the odd man out, as much as I like him, but he can’t cover RF  Jake will be the future at 1st. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You suggested moving him to 2N literally like 3 days ago. 

Because I think adding a bat will be cost prohibitive.

I'm not trading Vaughn/Kopech/Crochet/Madrigal for a half year fix. 

If they can get Escobar for a fair price, fine. 

They should be showcasing Burger for a deal though. If that means DHing Moncada a few times a week temporarily, fine. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 7/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, southsider2k5 said:

The answer for Moncada hot takes part IX is the same as part I.  Why would you downgrade two positions?

I would say the average Sox fan only cares about run production and the other parts of baseball is meaningless.  They are more than happy winning a 12-10 game despite the Sox were up by 10 runs early.

I'm not surprised this topic took a lot of flak, but I stand by it.  Burger hit a monster HR tonight, along with a double in the gap, while Andrew Vaughn had a poor night against the same pitchers.  If I were the Sox, i would not be trading Jake Burger on the cheap, which is all we'd get for him in trade at this point.  He might be every bit the hitter that Vaughn is, or he might not be.  But I'd want to find out more.  

Having Moncada volunteer to play some games at 2B would allow TLR more lineup flexibility, and we'd finally get to see less of Leury Garcia, who is supposed to be a UTILITY player, not an everyday one.  It would allow the Sox to focus their attention on shoring up the weakest part of the team at the deadline, which is the BULLPEN. 

The Sox offense will be fine when Eloy, Robert, and Grandal return.  RF will be OK with Engel/Goodwin/Sheets/Lamb, and 2B would be fine with Moncada/Garcia with Moncada/Burger at 3B.  

51 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I'm not surprised this topic took a lot of flak, but I stand by it.  Burger hit a monster HR tonight, along with a double in the gap, while Andrew Vaughn had a poor night against the same pitchers.  If I were the Sox, i would not be trading Jake Burger on the cheap, which is all we'd get for him in trade at this point.  He might be every bit the hitter that Vaughn is, or he might not be.  But I'd want to find out more.  

Having Moncada volunteer to play some games at 2B would allow TLR more lineup flexibility, and we'd finally get to see less of Leury Garcia, who is supposed to be a UTILITY player, not an everyday one.  It would allow the Sox to focus their attention on shoring up the weakest part of the team at the deadline, which is the BULLPEN. 

The Sox offense will be fine when Eloy, Robert, and Grandal return.  RF will be OK with Engel/Goodwin/Sheets/Lamb, and 2B would be fine with Moncada/Garcia with Moncada/Burger at 3B.  

Saved the best post for last.  He was never as bad at 2B as you all think you remember and he's a member of a team with WS ambitions whose needs come before his personal whims.  His comfort at 3B is more likely the result of maturation than anything else.  I want to see Burger going long here for years, not on the highlights from godknowswhere.  And thanks for knowing the difference between flak and flack.