Byron Buxton is likely to sign extension or be traded

maxjusttyped

The Twins are tempting injured center fielder Byron Buxton, taking their best shot at signing him to a long-term extension, according to major-league sources.

The team’s latest offer to Buxton is in excess of the $70 million the Yankees awarded center fielder Aaron Hicks over a seven-year extension in Feb. 2019, sources said. Buxton, 27, likely will be dealt if he rejects the proposal, if not by the July 30 trade deadline — he currently is on the injured list with a fractured left hand — then this offseason.

The disappointing Twins, owners of the fourth-worst record in the American League, are at a similar crossroads contractually with right-hander José Berríos, who, like Buxton, is eligible for free agency after the 2022 season. Club officials presumably will gauge Berríos’ interest in signing long-term as well, and possibly trade him if no agreement is reached. A number of other Twins on expiring contracts, including designated hitter Nelson Cruz and shortstop Andrelton Simmons, also are candidates to be moved.

https://theathletic.com/2710439/2021/07/16/rosenthal-twins-are-trying-to-sign-byron-buxton-to-a-long-term-deal/?source=rss

3 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

If Buxton were smart he’d sign that extension in a heartbeat. Dude is a helluva talent, but he’s literally always injured.  

I think he'd be a fool to sign 7 for 70 at 27. Guy has been the best player in baseball when he's played this year. His injuries have been terrible luck. I'd love the sox to trade for and extend Buxton for more than that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think he'd be a fool to sign 7 for 70 at 27. Guy has been the best player in baseball when he's played this year. His injuries have been terrible luck. I'd love the sox to trade for and extend Buxton for more than that.

He would be quite smart to sign that deal with an opt out after year 2 or 3.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

He would be quite smart to sign that deal with an opt out after year 2 or 3.

With an opt out, sure. But with no opt out he'd be nuts to lock himself in until 35 with his talent. Guy finally has put it all together imo. I'd give up pretty much any piece for Buxton if I were the sox. Any non-mlb piece, but I'd consider crochet/burger type deal, then lock Buxton up.

• Like 2

Yeah if I was Buxton I'd let it roll. It looks quite good for him that the twins look like shit when he is out then look like world beaters when he's in. He's also one of the most exciting players in baseball and a great teammate. If it wouldn't waste robert or his talents to have one in RF (though elite RFs are awesome) I would take him in a heartbeat.

Buxton is a weird case, (IF and it's always a huge IF with him) he is healthy his value the first couple years of that deal will be insane...but then he will have one more injury and fall off a cliff. Twins are dumb if they trade him under this type of ultimatum. It won't happen to Sox, and hopefully he goes to the NL so Sox don't have to see him when he hits his peak health window. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

Buxton is a hell of a case. He's a $25mm a year player when healthy ... at least for the next 3-4 years in his prime/speed. However once age catches up? Then he's probably a $10mm player. Sprinkle in injuries? I'd go something like 5/60mm on him if I were the twins. 

43 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

That he is offered an extension is notable and gives insight into how a team foresees the next couple years. You’re the lame one here. 

So a team offering their star player an extension is breaking news. Ok guy. 

6 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Did you know water is wet? That would make a good article also.

Buxton isn’t a FA until 2022 so him getting the ultimatum now is notable, and nobody cares about your threshold for making a trade rumors post in the trade rumors forum.

Don’t know why your all butt hurt, I wasn’t attacking the original poster. It’s the article… if they can’t extend their star player they’re going to try trade him? Is that earth shattering news? 

Edited by ShoeLessRob

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Don’t know why your all butt hurt, I wasn’t attacking the original poster. It’s the article… if they can’t extend their star player they’re going to try trade him? Is that earth shattering news? 

Yes.

Buxton is the more likely to sign, but there’s a lot of differences on guaranteed/upfront money and additional incentives (if he put together an actual full season, he’d be Top 5 in MVP vote, for example).

Twins want to be closer to 6 years, $70 million, Buxton side up to 7-8 years and anywhere from $80-105 million.

Huge risk/reward on both sides of that equation, for both organization, and player/agent.

Berrios reportedly wants that six year, $150 million deal for a FA of his pedigree and age.   Same one Lucas will be pursuing after 2023.

He’s gone IMO between the trade deadline and this coming offseason.

Twins still have to make decisions on Donaldson, Cruz, Pineda, Rogers (value down), Robles and Simmons, to name a few.

Those are the six everyone is watching, along with the Big 2 headliners.