Deadline Prediction Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, fathom said:

That could be what they’re asking just for Story

Gotcha.  I still think there might be something there with Bard & Givens, although take Ramos out of the equation and throw something else back their way.  Honestly, there aren’t a ton of great relievers out there at the moment, especially if some of the in-between teams like the Nationals & Angels don’t sell.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Gotcha.  I still think there might be something there with Bard & Givens, although take Ramos out of the equation and throw something else back their way.  Honestly, there aren’t a ton of great relievers out there at the moment, especially if some of the in-between teams like the Nationals & Angels don’t sell.

Even getting mediocre ones is better than sticking with some of our bad ones. But I'm sure anyone can make the argument if you are going to do that you might as well hope guys like Heuer turn it around in the 2nd half.

14 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

used to want an outfielder or 2b.... now i think need all relief pitching

An outfielder or second baseman would be a luxury. The bullpen is the obvious weakness. Bringing in Lopez, even in a low leverage situation, says a lot about this bullpen. No additions to the bullpen equals no success in the playoffs. A team can only do so much at the deadline. Have to get at least one reliever. I don't expect someone like Kimbrel. Just get someone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

An outfielder or second baseman would be a luxury. The bullpen is the obvious weakness. Bringing in Lopez, even in a low leverage situation, says a lot about this bullpen. No additions to the bullpen equals no success in the playoffs. A team can only do so much at the deadline. Have to get at least one reliever. I don't expect someone like Kimbrel. Just get someone.

I have to agree. 

Whatever Katz did to the bullpen, I cant understand how it got this bad. Or more probably, this bullpen was not exposed during a shortened 2020 season.

That said, I think some of the "kinda-sorta competing" teams that aren't really in the postseason race don't seem to be selling. (Thinking LAAA, Toronto, Philly, st Louis.)

So, Hahn's gonna have to get creative and aggressive to add to this bullpen. Ian Kennedy, Yimi Garcia, come on down. Or whoever he can get, because its clear that this bullpen simply isn't good enough for the postseason, as currently comprised.

But, I'm thinking that relief help will be a seller's market, because there may not be as many sellers in the market. And thus, less "inventory" for the real contenders to choose from, at least compared to a more open trade season.

16 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I have to agree. 

Whatever Katz did to the bullpen, I cant understand how it got this bad. Or more probably, this bullpen was not exposed during a shortened 2020 season.

Need to line up Katz's halo with a plumb bob.  Or postpone the beatification.

The good news is the Bummer doesn't get shelled, he just has no command and gives up a ton of soft hits. He needs to get straight.  Crochet seems to go missing a lot. I hope it isn't because he is sore. In the playoffs you don't need 5 starters, so I imagine Kuechel or Cease will take the roll Kopech has and Kopech can pitch the 7th or the 8th. Hopefully,  they can get one reliable guy to take Burrs or Ruizs place. I think the bullpen can still be a strength.

New October Roster:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, DH
  5. Schwarber, LF*
  6. Vaughn, RF
  7. Grandal, C#
  8. Robert, CF
  9. Escobar, 2B#
  • IF: Garcia#
  • IF: Mendick
  • OF: Engel
  • OF: Hamilton
  • BC: Collins*
  1. Lynn
  2. Rodon*
  3. Giolito
  4. Cease
  • CL: Hendriks
  • SU: Kopech
  • SU: Bummer*
  • SU: Bard
  • MR: Givens
  • MR: Crochet*
  • MR: Heuer
  • LR: Keuchel*

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

New predictions:

• Matt Foster & Jason Bilous for Eduardo Escobar
  • Micker Adolfo, Jimmy Lambert, & Konner Pilkington for Daniel Bard & Mychal Givens
  • Luis Mieses & McKinley Moore for Kyle Schwarber

I'll grant you that Schwarber is an interesting thought.

But, from where I sit, buying 2 bats is an extravagance. OTOH, buying 2 RPs just might be an absolute need. 

Looking at this bullpen, it looks like it has one dominant RP in Kopech, a great closer in Hendriks, and then a disgusting pile of puke that can't fucking find the fucking strike zone with a road map.

By contrast, we can at least squint, and see Eloy/Robert/Grandal coming to the rescue of a struggling offense. But this pitching staff has got a strike-throwing allergy, and Katz has gotta come up with something other than "use sticky stuff to get a better grip."

On 7/19/2021 at 6:07 AM, beck72 said:

Who the Sox Will Add:

Joey Gallo

Andrew Chafin

Eduardo Escobar

Yimi Garcia

I'm amending my prediction based on WASH now being sellers:

*Jake Burger, Micker Adolfo, Matt Foster for Brad Hand and Daniel Hudson: [It might be too much. But if the Nats are packaging both like its been reported to get the best return, the Sox will match and beat other teams offers].  

*Matthew Thompson and Bryan Ramos for Trevor Story [Escobar probably isn't healthy enough or the Sox would have pulled off a deal already]

Just to get it on record, it will be something like this.

We like where we are, we have an *8 game lead (whatever it ends up being on Friday) in the division.

We don't have to add from outside because we just got Jimenez back and Robert (maybe Grandal) will be back soon.

There were talks with other teams, but we just didn't feel the value was there for us.

13 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Just to get it on record, it will be something like this.

We like where we are, we have an *8 game lead (whatever it ends up being on Friday) in the division.

We don't have to add from outside because we just got Jimenez back and Robert (maybe Grandal) will be back soon.

There were talks with other teams, but we just didn't feel the value was there for us.

There is zero chance we don’t make multiple additions.  Worst case scenario, we add one reliever and backup IF.  More likely, we add a starting 2B and two relievers.  Not totally out of the question is an OF on top of all that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is zero chance we don’t make multiple additions.  Worst case scenario, we add one reliever and backup IF.  More likely, we add a starting 2B and two relievers.  Not totally out of the question is an OF on top of all that.

I agree, and I'm also very skeptical about the idea of adding an outfielder. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are you skeptical about adding an OF?

For two reasons:

1) It is a much lower priority, with Eloy and Robert joining the mix of  Vaughn, Engel, Goodwin, Sheets and Hamilton. 

2) They don't have the prospect capital to acquire any long term solution to the RF void and the need for a LH bat.

It just seems like they have much more critical needs. I still think Escobar is coming, as he is the perfect fit. LH power bat, a rental who'll be gone next season, when Madrigal comes back, and he shouldn't cost much. I really doubt that his health is a concern, he's been in the lineup almost every game, even after the cautionary reports about his hamstring.

La Russa has always placed a huge premium on the bullpen and he can't be very happy with how the Sox relievers have looked. He is almost certainly urging Hahn to get some help for the pen, which I believe is the primary focus of the front office. Therefore, unless Hahn is going to be extremely aggressive, I think your assessment is right on target.