Luis Robert cleared for Rehab Assignment

maxjusttyped

38 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Can you give an example of an "affluent sportsmen", because I believe I speak for a lot of us that we don't know how you are using this term.

Are the hedge fund owners of the Dodgers and Mets affluent sportsmen? The Steinbrenner Family? Mark Cuban? The fleabag Rickett Family? Any other affluent sportsmen in MLB ownership suites? 

All signs point to the Reinsdorf children taking over when Jerry steps down or passes. If the Reinsdorf children take up fox hunting, sailing, or equestrian sports like showjumping, steeplechase or polo, would they become affluent sportsmen/women, and would that improve White Sox fortunes?

Can we expect Grey Poupon at concession stands?

Five words:

Hall of Fame List him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jake said:

Seby can't hit, I don't care how well he catches. Yes, 3 homer game notwithstanding. Unless Frank Menecchino just taught him something that he didn't know when he struck out 40% of his PA in Charlotte, Seby's gotta go and shouldn't be playing this much as it is.

He is a catcher so actually catching well is part of his job and only helps the Sox....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

He is a catcher so actually catching well is part of his job and only helps the Sox....

I agree with this. Especially when Grandal comes back. You need your backup catcher to be able to catch better than he hits. Seby is the better catcher between him and Collins.

Eloy and Robert coming back also diminishes the need for Collins' bat in the lineup.

8 hours ago, Jake said:

Seby can't hit, I don't care how well he catches. Yes, 3 homer game notwithstanding. Unless Frank Menecchino just taught him something that he didn't know when he struck out 40% of his PA in Charlotte, Seby's gotta go and shouldn't be playing this much as it is.

True. But it's pretty clear that TLR values defense over bat (doesn't help that Collins doesn't have a bat). I was totally against it at first, but once Robert and Eloy are back? We don't really need an extra bat, especially as a backup to Grandal. I'd stick with Seby or the guy we just traded for. I was ready to be a fan of Collins ... i defended him a bunch at the outset ... I'm officially done with him. 

in regards to Sheets/Goodwin/Hamilton ... it's pretty easy - one guy you can send down with no repercussions ... Sheets. You do that. If Robert is back in ... what? 5-10 days that puts us at almost mid August. September call ups are around the corner. Sheets on the bench for 2-3 weeks of meaningless games or cut bait with Goodwin?  

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I agree with this. Especially when Grandal comes back. You need your backup catcher to be able to catch better than he hits. Seby is the better catcher between him and Collins.

Eloy and Robert coming back also diminishes the need for Collins' bat in the lineup.

With the lack of other lefty options I don’t see at all how Eloy and Robert diminish the need for Collins. The only guys who can do that are Moncada and Sheets, maybe Goodwin, and Moncada is still not showing a big power game. If sheets continued putting up a big OPS, that could drop the need for Collins, but we need someone with splits against RH starters in this lineup.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

With the lack of other lefty options I don’t see at all how Eloy and Robert diminish the need for Collins. The only guys who can do that are Moncada and Sheets, maybe Goodwin, and Moncada is still not showing a big power game. If sheets continued putting up a big OPS, that could drop the need for Collins, but we need someone with splits against RH starters in this lineup.

Who is Collins pinch hitting for when everyone is healthy?  And I don’t think we’re ever starting Collins over Grandal based on a right handed pitcher starting.  For a full game Seby’s glove behind the plate is more valuable than Collins bat and I don’t see where Collins bat is even used off the bench when Robert and Eloy are back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

True. But it's pretty clear that TLR values defense over bat (doesn't help that Collins doesn't have a bat). I was totally against it at first, but once Robert and Eloy are back? We don't really need an extra bat, especially as a backup to Grandal. I'd stick with Seby or the guy we just traded for. I was ready to be a fan of Collins ... i defended him a bunch at the outset ... I'm officially done with him. 

in regards to Sheets/Goodwin/Hamilton ... it's pretty easy - one guy you can send down with no repercussions ... Sheets. You do that. If Robert is back in ... what? 5-10 days that puts us at almost mid August. September call ups are around the corner. Sheets on the bench for 2-3 weeks of meaningless games or cut bait with Goodwin?  

Brian Goodwins waves hi from Centerfield.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

There is no way Seby has leaped in front of Collins.

I wouldn't say that definitively. They have been playing him a lot. I think they probably want to keep Collins options for next year or to keep his trade value/flexiblility but I don't see this as cut and dried really. 

16 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

With 75 combined years of running major league sports franchises, like it or not, JR is the current definition of "affluent sportsman".

No he isn't.

He is businessman who figured out a way to own sports teams and make googobs of money without being remotedly competitive.

Affluent yes.

A sportsman - hardly.

Reinsdorf would have played out eans ago in any other major city except Chicago.

The bar is set incredibly low in this town. One championship in 40 years - all of you apologists just need to quit.

And there are some on this board far more poignant in their disdain for this ownership group than me.

If you enjoy this product on the field and envision it as a perrenial contender, you better include ownership that is wiling to PAY for the realization of that vision.

I truly enjoy Soxtalk.

It's actually a hoot once you get past the projection, the strawmen, the gaslighting and the ad hominens.

Edited by GradMc
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GradMc said:

No he isn't.

He is businessman who figured out a way to own sports teams and make googobs of money without being remotedly competitive.

Affluent yes.

A sportsman - hardly.

Reinsdorf would have played out eans ago in any other major city except Chicago.

The bar is set incredibly low in this town. One championship in 40 years - all of you apologists just need to quit.

And there are some on this board far more poignant in their disdain for this ownership group than me.

If you enjoy this product on the field and envision it as a perrenial contender, you better include ownership that is wiling to PAY for the realization of that vision.

I truly enjoy Soxtalk.

It's actually a hoot once you get past the projection, the strawmen, the gaslighting and the ad hominens.

There is telling on yourself, and then there is this post.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

There is no way Seby has leaped in front of Collins.

I think Seby catches better, but his hitting needs to improve (one game aside). Collins seems like he will always be too limited defensively to be a starting catcher but as a first round pick the front office seem determined to give him enough chances, unless Grandal returns fully fit to catch and stays that way this could be a big weakness/decision ahead.

Edited by Chimpton
Spelling