Royals Listening on Merrifield

bmags

I mentioned that I think the royals could be interested in a package surrounding Jake Burger considering the structure of their team where lopez could move to second, witt comes to short, but I did not know of a great 3b option (Pratto will also be coming up to 1b).

In Rosenthal today:

The Athletic’s Jayson Stark hears the Royals appear more open than in the past to trading All-Star second baseman Whit Merrifield, who is batting .272 with a .726 OPS, leads the majors with 24 stolen bases in 25 attempts and remains one of the game’s bigger bargains.

Merrifield, 32, is owed the rest of his $7.25 million salary this season and $3.25 million next season, and his contract includes an $11 million club option in 2023 (he took less money in ’22 to protect against a possible lockout). The Royals, though, have told other teams they believe they are close to contention, and are signaling that they do not want to trade established major leaguers for prospects who might not join them for three or four years. That could make it difficult for them to match up with clubs that have expressed interest in Merrifield.

While Merrifield's offense may be underwhelming, he would be an excellent utility piece to have that reminds me of fitting in zobrist. His speed and contact ability to me add to our fun complementary group of anderson and madrigal alongside the obp and power of grandal, abreu, moncada, eloy.

While right haned, he's been able to maintain league average production vs righties for his career, though he has dipped.

Concerns would be : sapped power this year, but he was really heating up in june power wise - but has had a tough July to date. 

Burger seems great, and I am against the notion of trading because they are blocked, but as a corner RHH on a health sox team with eloy coming back, I really don't know if we can find him time. And his play at 3b showed to me at least that he can stick.

It probably isn't the most popular through, but I think Whit is slightly overrated because he is in a town where he is pretty much the best player on the team, even though he isn't a big time player.  He'd help our team, but I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay up for him and his control.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It probably isn't the most popular through, but I think Whit is slightly overrated because he is in a town where he is pretty much the best player on the team, even though he isn't a big time player.  He'd help our team, but I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay up for him and his control.

I also don't want to trade with the Royals. 

I'd much rather have Frazier if I had to pick between the 2. Frazier is left handed, probably costs less, and they're probably very similar offensively going forward.

Edited by chw42

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know, they are very milquetoast in how they deploy him. If he was on the dodgers he'd probably have a 900 ops and play 5 positions like the rest of them. He just reminds me a lot of zobrist but granted does not have the same obp. But I think that's partly because kc is a little more old school and may want him to lean into that.

Sox don't really change that though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I also don't want to trade with the Royals. 

I'd much rather have Frazier if I had to pick between the 2. Frazier is left handed, probably costs less, and they're probably very similar offensively going forward.

I'd personally vote neither.  Give me a stop gap for the next two months in Baez/Escobar etc and get Madrigal back for next year.

Just now, maloney.adam said:

It’s hard to predict what KC will do at the trade deadline. They are 19 games back but still feel that they are close to competing in the future. 

They are about to get two of the best offensive prospects in the game. I don't really get the swooning for the tigers, the kc pitching isn't at the same level but it is deep and their offense looks much more promising.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mentioned that I think the royals could be interested in a package surrounding Jake Burger considering the structure of their team where lopez could move to second, witt comes to short, but I did not know of a great 3b option (Pratto will also be coming up to 1b).

In Rosenthal today:

The Athletic’s Jayson Stark hears the Royals appear more open than in the past to trading All-Star second baseman Whit Merrifield, who is batting .272 with a .726 OPS, leads the majors with 24 stolen bases in 25 attempts and remains one of the game’s bigger bargains.

Merrifield, 32, is owed the rest of his $7.25 million salary this season and $3.25 million next season, and his contract includes an $11 million club option in 2023 (he took less money in ’22 to protect against a possible lockout). The Royals, though, have told other teams they believe they are close to contention, and are signaling that they do not want to trade established major leaguers for prospects who might not join them for three or four years. That could make it difficult for them to match up with clubs that have expressed interest in Merrifield.

While Merrifield's offense may be underwhelming, he would be an excellent utility piece to have that reminds me of fitting in zobrist. His speed and contact ability to me add to our fun complementary group of anderson and madrigal alongside the obp and power of grandal, abreu, moncada, eloy.

While right haned, he's been able to maintain league average production vs righties for his career, though he has dipped.

Concerns would be : sapped power this year, but he was really heating up in june power wise - but has had a tough July to date. 

Burger seems great, and I am against the notion of trading because they are blocked, but as a corner RHH on a health sox team with eloy coming back, I really don't know if we can find him time. And his play at 3b showed to me at least that he can stick.

Whit Merrifield is an absolute stud.  I imagine he'd cost Crochet ++.  Averaging 3.75 WAR the past 3 full seasons and on that pace again this season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

They are about to get two of the best offensive prospects in the game. I don't really get the swooning for the tigers, the kc pitching isn't at the same level but it is deep and their offense looks much more promising.

Neither is close to contending IMO.  They might be close to becoming a .500 team.  KC has no pitching; Detroit needs half a dozen position players.

I hope KC over values him and their roster and they screw it up.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

As mentioned in other 2nd base target threads...the elite teams need at 2nd base isn't that great...but Whit's ability to move him to the outfield also adds to his appeal. I could see the yankees making a play here if they are buying. who else would be in on him? Sox have a need, but this would be burger & crochet as the asking price. 

20 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

As mentioned in other 2nd base target threads...the elite teams need at 2nd base isn't that great...but Whit's ability to move him to the outfield also adds to his appeal. I could see the yankees making a play here if they are buying. who else would be in on him? Sox have a need, but this would be burger & crochet as the asking price. 

I don't see the yankees wanting a 2b and solidifying gleybar at SS, and I fully expect them to be in on the SS market this offseason. And with DJ's 6 year contract, they already have a somewhat flexible infielder on the books for a while.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

In Rosenthal today:

The Royals have some interesting prospects in their system, but I cannot see them contending in 2022, or even 2023 for that matter. 

6 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

i'd give up a ton for him. burger and sheets and lopez. goodbye in a heartbeat. merrifield would be a 3 year guy with us and fills so many holes and very underrated in my opinion. 

Hard to imagine the Royals moving him within the division

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sal Perez says hello.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

The Tigers are about to just four games under .500 and could be legit threats as late as second half 2022 for a wild card spot because of how bad the Twins, Indians and Royals could all be depending on how things break.

I don't get the love for Merrifield.  He 32+ and his offensive numbers have declined every year since his peak year in 2018 to where he's now below league average.  Would I take him over Leury Garcia?  Yes.  But I wouldn't give up much to get him. 

• Thanks 1

I'll never say never, but I'd almost never consider trading away prospects to a division team. Having them come back and beat our brains out 19 times a year for a decade is crazy. I'd take Escobar in a heartbeat, Frazier ONLY if it didn't cost a Crochet/Burger and pass on Merrifield. The age doesn't bother me, just the cost.