2021 College Football

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC would be pretty crazy…can understand why A&M wants to protect their home turf.

Both those programs have surrendered t.v. rights through 2025.

Obviously athletes in higher profile SEC programs stand to make a bigger pie of the endorsement pie.

Seems to be a byproduct of all the NIL stuff. Oklahoma state law requires OU and OSU to be in the same conference though, so we'll see if that has an impact.

I am not a fan of this new realignment at all.

I felt like college football was already losing some of what made it special, and it was becoming a focus on just the playoffs.

Now, when we turn to 2-3 mega conferences, that will be even more evident.

I also wonder, if you're a bottom half college football team in one of these conferences, especially one that moves to a new conference, what are you looking forward to?

And I really don't understand Texas' motivation.  They have been struggling to return to their glory.  How is being a midlevel SEC team going to make that any easier?

8 minutes ago, SexiAlexei said:

I am not a fan of this new realignment at all.

I felt like college football was already losing some of what made it special, and it was becoming a focus on just the playoffs.

Now, when we turn to 2-3 mega conferences, that will be even more evident.

I also wonder, if you're a bottom half college football team in one of these conferences, especially one that moves to a new conference, what are you looking forward to?

And I really don't understand Texas' motivation.  They have been struggling to return to their glory.  How is being a midlevel SEC team going to make that any easier?

Texas and Oklahoma get one game per year certain to get national attention when they play each other. You occasionally get Baylor or Iowa State having a great season, but those names just don't draw the TV ratings when they play Texas or Oklahoma. The SEC brings several huge ratings games per year, depending on how they structure the conference.

On 7/24/2021 at 5:00 AM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Texas and Oklahoma get one game per year certain to get national attention when they play each other. You occasionally get Baylor or Iowa State having a great season, but those names just don't draw the TV ratings when they play Texas or Oklahoma. The SEC brings several huge ratings games per year, depending on how they structure the conference.

Oklahoma also lost the yearly rivalry game with Nebraska.

Other than Ok State and Texas, not too many games on the FB schedule to get excited about except for occasional non conference like Ohio State.

Then sort of a rivalry with KU in basketball but pretty one-sided.

As to an earlier point, Texas A&M made sense to elevate their program and recruiting in the SEC, but doesn’t seem as much of an issue for UT.  Just seems to complicate their path to another NC game even more.

The other thing is that Oklahoma and Texas are going to quickly have to improve defensively or get run over…guess it also depends how long they can keep their head coach, so this move might be part of the thinking about staff retention.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If you are a top high school recruit you want to play in the SEC. 

Yes, but are Texas and Oklahoma going to be getting recruits that would have gone to LSU and Florida, or ones that would have gone to Clemson and Ohio State. If it's the former, then the SEC doesn't really gain that much.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and UCF to the Big 12.

Will likely be a 14 team league for a year or two unless OU and Texas really wanna pay.

Would imagine something like this:

Big 12 West

BYU

ISU

KU

KSU

OSU

TT

Big 12 East

Cincy

WVU

UCF

TCU

Baylor

Houston

Eh.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:22 PM, Texsox said:

If you are a top high school recruit you want to play in the SEC. 

Right, because

1) They have the best football teams

2) You don't have to participate academically

That being said, if you want to be on the national stage, you're better off at Ohio State than any SEC team not named Alabama. The fact is there are no surprises in college football. Everyone knows everything about every player by the time the draft rolls around.

I'm interested to see what happens if there's a consortium of non-SEC conferences, because the Big Ten and Pac 12 are still more influential big picture than the SEC.

Edited by Vacheron

11 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Will likely be a 14 team league for a year or two unless OU and Texas really wanna pay.

Big 12 West

BYU

ISU

KU

KSU

OSU

TT

Big 12 East

Cincy

WVU

UCF

TCU

Baylor

Houston

Eh.

That has all the signs of a potentially amazing basketball conference. Houston is a far better basketball program than either Texas or Oklahoma

Edited by Vacheron

11 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Big 12 West

BYU

ISU

KU

KSU

OSU

TT

Big 12 East

Cincy

WVU

UCF

TCU

Baylor

Houston

Eh.

Texas Tech will balk at not being in the same division as the other Texas schools.

My guess is: Cincy, WVU, UCF, ISU, KU, KSU in the same division

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Yeah but for how long? For the first 3 years, you're coaching mostly the previous guy's players.

The Championship team was his players, he had 13 wins the next year, and only 2 years under 10 wins in his 8 years. Fisher brought that team back to prominence after it was awful in the 00s due to sanctions and poor recruiting at the end.

Just now, bmags said:

The Championship team was his players, he had 13 wins the next year, and only 2 years under 10 wins in his 8 years. Fisher brought that team back to prominence after it was awful in the 00s due to sanctions and poor recruiting at the end.

OK, I guess I remembered it incorrectly.

Kansas won its first game in over a year on Friday, beat tiny South Dakota by a couple points. The students stormed the field but did not tear down the goal posts.

Q: Embarrassing display or students having fun? Also do any of u midwesterners think Kansas will be accepted into the Big Ten at some point or no way? Peace out.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:12 AM, Heads22 said:

Big 12 West

BYU

ISU

KU

KSU

OSU

TT

Big 12 East

Cincy

WVU

UCF

TCU

Baylor

Houston

Eh.

It’s interesting that four of the original teams from the Big Eight would be left in the North…

Except for Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado and Oklahoma leaving now.

Then you have Texas A&M moving twice (Southwest Conf to Big 12 to SEC), Texas also following that path with Texas Tech and Baylor remaining.

Drake, Grinnell, Iowa and Wash U. were members in the 1920’s.  St. Louis University was rejected.