2021 College Football

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

So much for that halftime prediction.

That said, UGA and Bama are head and shoulders above everyone else.

Iowa just doesn't have enough offense and relying on turnovers and special teams every game is not enough to be elite.

What was that about Bama's head and shoulders?

28 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

What was that about Bama's head and shoulders?

Guess the difficulty of winning in the road in such a hostile environment was slightly overlooked.

Nearly everyone asserting today was the best crowd in Kinnick history, at least going back 36 years ago to #1/2 matchup against Michigan (that I was so fortunate to be at as a high school sophomore).

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Guess the difficulty of winning in the road in such a hostile environment was slightly overlooked.

Nearly everyone asserting today was the best crowd in Kinnick history, at least going back 36 years ago to #1/2 matchup against Michigan (that I was so fortunate to be at as a high school sophomore).

Nice win by Iowa, but Penn State was overrated. Barely beat a bad Wisconsin team and only beat Auburn, who needed the refs help to beat Georgia State, by 8. Penn State will lose 2-3 more games.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Nice win by Iowa, but Penn State was overrated. Barely beat a bad Wisconsin team and only beat Auburn, who needed the refs help to beat Georgia State, by 8. Penn State will lose 2-3 more games.

I don't think Iowa is better than even 2015, but their toughest remaining game is at Camp Randall in two weeks.

But I also don't believe any of those remaining teams have the talent to win on neutral fields, unless Caleb Williams of OU wins the Heisman as a true freshman (or plays at that level from here on out), but B12 defenses are just too soft.

And even most objective Iowa fans will admit PSU probably wins with Clifford still in for the second half.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't think Iowa is better than even 2015, but their toughest remaining game is at Camp Randall in two weeks.

But I also don't believe any of those remaining teams have the talent to win on neutral fields, unless Caleb Williams of OU wins the Heisman as a true freshman (or plays at that level from here on out), but B12 defenses are just too soft.

And even most objective Iowa fans will admit PSU probably wins with Clifford still in for the second half.

I still take it. Who knows what will happen. I bet iowa somehow loses a game before the big championship but who knows. Schedule looks good and the d is awesome. 

I expect oline and ground game will only get better and hopefully qb can make enough plays. Do I think they are the 2nd or 3rd best team in country…no…but I will enjoy the run while it lasts!!! 

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I still take it. Who knows what will happen. I bet iowa somehow loses a game before the big championship but who knows. Schedule looks good and the d is awesome. 

I expect oline and ground game will only get better and hopefully qb can make enough plays. Do I think they are the 2nd or 3rd best team in country…no…but I will enjoy the run while it lasts!!! 

The lines are getting better and better. Petras just does enough to win, similar to Stanzi, Stanley and Beathard.

Of course, Ragaini was open by 15 yards on that play action...

All that said, forgot they get a bye week before WI, but Purdue, in Evanston (hard to imagine this year) and at Nebraska if Frost doesn't lose control of that program are all tough games.

Beating Ohio State or Michigan State are also going to be a huge challenge as well in eventual title game.

Losing Riley Moss if the knee injury's serious is another tough blow to overcome.  All that said, whenever they get a really hyped recruiting class (once a decade) it's usually counterproductive because the Iowa tradition is transforming 2-3 star recruits into NFL draft picks.

Welcome to being an Iowa fan.

You know every season going in that you have at least a 75% chance of losing 2/3 to Purdue, Northwestern and Wisconsin.

Well, it was nice while it lasted...but they just never had the offensive playmakers or play action QB (you have to go all the way back to Brad Banks/2002) to pull this off.

Iowa State and Indiana were both highly overrated, and Penn State probably would have won the game last week were it not for the Clifford injury.

They're just getting their butts whipped, at Kinnick, in the ABC 2:30 regional game against an unranked team.  It should be 24-7 if not for that fumble in the end zone.

Well, at least there's always Oklahoma (my dad's univ and adopted #2 team), with Caleb Williams.  They might be in for a letdown against TCU after the huge Texas comeback last week.   MIGHT.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Iowa qb play has been terrible. New it would evaporate at some point. They are still a very good team - but not a national title contender - never were. Not with the garbage qb they have.

Better off going to a NY6 game and not having to play Georgia. Nobody is beating Georgia this year.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Iowa qb play has been terrible. New it would evaporate at some point. They are still a very good team - but not a national title contender - never were. Not with the garbage qb they have.

Maybe they can get Rattler, but he’s on the bench for the same reason…

In the end, Iowa hasn’t been able to get multi-dimensional QB’s for the same reason they are successful at TE, special teams or line play or sending more than their fair share to the NFL based on recruiting ratings.  They were the beneficiary of a boatload of turnovers, and that wasn’t going to stand up, but they did win 12 or 13 in a row after starting out poorly last year in the shortened season.

As long as the Ferentzes are in charge, they will always run boring, run oriented offenses with jailbreak screens that define risk mitigating with limited explosiveness on the outside…they are the exact opposite of the wide open style of the BB team.

Look at OU, Mayfield to Murray to Hurts to Williams now.  That’s four starting-caliber NFL QB’s in less than a decade.  And they get all the receivers they want because big-time skill players want to play in huge national t.v. games and get noticed by scouts.  It’s really quite simple.  Iowa maximizes their results based on their recruiting limitations, but a national title contender without a great QB and a couple of Reggie Bushes they can never be.

Edited by caulfield12