Cruz traded to TB

soxfan49

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This sucks. Sox will ultimately need to face him the the playoffs. Would have rather seen him stay on the damn Twins for the rest of the year.

I mean he was gonna get traded to a playoff team in the AL. 

• Like 2

I’m guessing the return will be quite low, to the point it woulda been like a … sheets? Or rutherford + Lopez type return. I think we’ll say, that’s all? Just a hunch. 

(and I get sheets is looking good, but he’s likely a 3-5 year player, nice bench type piece)

This literally just puts them in a better position to compete with us.

Anyway, trying to keep a guy away from a team where he is a better fit is not a good strategy unless you have a ton of resources to trade, which we don’t. Our job is to fill 2b and get bullpen help.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Solid return for a rental DH, even one that rakes like Cruz does.

Strotman is probably top 10 in our system.

Ryan is almost top 100. 

Edited by chw42

This is why the Sox need to be aggressive at the deadline and improve the team early enough to finish with the best record in the AL, to force the Astros and Rays to face each other in the ALDS, not just wait until the deadline because of the 8 1/2 game lead over Cleveland.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Tampa's 10th and 17th best prospect in their system. Solid deal for Twins too.

Yeah that's a really good for half a season of a DH. We definitely can't match that package for someone like Cruz. We got bigger holes elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Strotman is probably top 10 in our system.

Ryan is almost top 100. 

I think you can argue either of them would be the best pitching prospect in the Sox system. The number of pitchers putting up video game strikeout numbers in the Rays system is crazy. Guys that never get any prospect coverage are putting up ~35 k%+. Their pitching development is pretty remarkable.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This literally just puts them in a better position to compete with us.

Anyway, trying to keep a guy away from a team where he is a better fit is not a good strategy unless you have a ton of resources to trade, which we don’t. Our job is to fill 2b and get bullpen help.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to beat this price for Cruz when we have actual holes to fill.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think you can argue either of them would be the best pitching prospect in the Sox system. The number of pitchers putting up video game strikeout numbers in the Rays system is crazy. Guys that never get any prospect coverage are putting up ~35 k%+. Their pitching development is pretty remarkable.

Yup. If it came out that we had to trade Kelley and Stiever for Cruz, this board probably would have exploded.