Summer Olympics Thread

I love the Olympics - needs a thread.  Crazy with Biles now out of the all around competition now too.  Cool to see Ledecky come back after struggling in 200 to crush it in the 1500.  Can't believe having to do 2 events in such short of a time frame (and to come back from that first loss to crush it the next time is huge).  

No, not Phelps. He doesn't start screaming every time there's a somewhat close race. There's the main play-by-play guy, Phelps who speaks sometimes in a clear baritone voice, and then the annoying guy who starts screaming all the time.

e: it's Rowdy Gaines

Edited by StrangeSox

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I love the Olympics - needs a thread.  Crazy with Biles now out of the all around competition now too.  Cool to see Ledecky come back after struggling in 200 to crush it in the 1500.  Can't believe having to do 2 events in such short of a time frame (and to come back from that first loss to crush it the next time is huge).  

Completely agree on Ledecky.  Crazy to see her race in 2 finals so close together, including the 2nd one being 1500m.  15 round-trips laps is unbelievable.  The men's 4x200 relay was disappointing - from 1st to 5th in the last 50m of the 3rd leg, and then never really recovered.

I love getting to see people who put so much into things for literally one or two events - just spectacular and the raw emotions etc.  I love the olympics - but especially summer olympics. And we havent' even started track and field yet!  

48 minutes ago, wegner said:

The pure emotion of Caleb Dressel after he won the 100M Freestyle Gold was wonderful....and get to see Ledecky swim later too...outstanding stuff.

Ansd how tight the race is. .06 seconds. Crazy and awesome.  

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I love getting to see people who put so much into things for literally one or two events - just spectacular and the raw emotions etc.  I love the olympics - but especially summer olympics. And we havent' even started track and field yet!  

The dedication and emotion is fun to watch.  I love both the Summer and Winter Olympics.  I actually enjoy the swimming races more than track and field but they are both outstanding races.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

The dedication and emotion is fun to watch.  I love both the Summer and Winter Olympics.  I actually enjoy the swimming races more than track and field but they are both outstanding races.

Swimming is my favorite - and I too like winter - but man summer is so awesome.  This relay is interesting - crazy how Titus got beat by someone in the 200.  

Wow - what a relay - Ledecky was a beast to get US to silver.  That was fun.  Love the time zone where so many of this events are live late for me on the west coast (especially since its during a busy time while I'm working still). 

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wow - what a relay - Ledecky was a beast to get US to silver.  That was fun.  Love the time zone where so many of this events are live late for me on the west coast (especially since its during a busy time while I'm working still). 

It is great that most of the swimming is live.  I have been pretty good at not hearing other results so far.  My wife came home last night asking if I had heard anything (she had heard all about Biles earlier in the day).  My wife asked if I wanted to know what she knew and I was torn.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

It is great that most of the swimming is live.  I have been pretty good at not hearing other results so far.  My wife came home last night asking if I had heard anything (she had heard all about Biles earlier in the day).  My wife asked if I wanted to know what she knew and I was torn.

Yeah - the olympics has been rough - cause my wife tells me  and I'd rather not know. prefer the drama to unfold before my eyes.  

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think part of the deal NBC got when they paid for the broadcasting rights was they most popular events in the US being scheduled to fall during primetime in the US.

Google loves to shove news headlines into my notifications with random results, and if you go to nbcolympics to watch coverage of some other random sport that won't be covered in primetime, you're likely to get spoiled

The spoiler thing is interesting because Tirico started off the broadcast last night talking about Biles. Imagine all the people who avoided the news all day and then he blows it within 30 seconds of starting the broadcast. Even on delayed coverage you think they might avoid things like that knowing a lot of people are holding out. 

Edited by Marqhead

I had been so good lucky missing results beforehand so far...Then just clicked through from this site to Twitter to follow an 👀 thread and accidentally saw Olympic results trending on the side....Damn Twitter.

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I had been so good lucky missing results beforehand so far...Then just clicked through from this site to Twitter to follow an 👀 thread and accidentally saw Olympic results trending on the side....Damn Twitter.

Another classic Seinfeld bit reference:

On another site I saw someone say they put a bunch of custom filters into their ad blocker (Ublock Origin) so that when they load NBCOlympics.com, it doesn't show any of the spoiler banners.

Really just need to consider the events live 24/7 and live with most likely getting a spoiler.

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Another classic Seinfeld bit reference:

On another site I saw someone say they put a bunch of custom filters into their ad blocker (Ublock Origin) so that when they load NBCOlympics.com, it doesn't show any of the spoiler banners.

Really just need to consider the events live 24/7 and live with most likely getting a spoiler.

Yep that is what I have been trying to do...the swimming has been fantastic.  The problem is I watch the women's gymnastics with my wife...the other day she knew the results and now I do.  Whatchagonnado??

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Yep that is what I have been trying to do...the swimming has been fantastic.  The problem is I watch the women's gymnastics with my wife...the other day she knew the results and now I do.  Whatchagonnado??

Its the same - my wife & daughter like gymanastics but its harder to watch if I don't know whether this person is going to make it or not. That said - got my espn breaking news alert this morning re: this mornings results. 

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Its the same - my wife & daughter like gymanastics but its harder to watch if I don't know whether this person is going to make it or not. That said - got my espn breaking news alert this morning re: this mornings results. 

I will probably still watch, especially since the Sox game is an afternoon affair, but I too would much rather not know the results like I do.  There is always live swimming to enjoy.  Maybe I will go for a walk with my son when gymnastics comes on and get a video game update in the process. :D