Scherzer to SD close - errr Not so fast

Sleepy Harold

I'm probably in the minority - but I'm glad we have Hahn and not Preller. That team had a stockpile of talent, and it's cool they're going for it, but if it doesn't work out, it's going to sting when they're watching like 20 prospects across the league flourish.

• Haha 2

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

I'm probably in the minority - but I'm glad we have Hahn and not Preller. That team had a stockpile of talent, and it's cool they're going for it, but if it doesn't work out, it's going to sting when they're watching like 20 prospects across the league flourish.

Yeah I think you're in the minority.

Also, I don't think any of those 20 flourishing prospects will be Tatis, lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah I think you're in the minority.

Also, I don't think any of those 20 flourishing prospects will be Tatis, lol.

To me you just look at like the Patino for Snell trade... I think I'd already rather have Patino and the Rays have how many more years of him and what cost? 

I don't know what a Scherzer costs ... maybe its Gore? Maybe Gore turns into a nobody, maybe he turns into Giolito. i get it's the cost of going for it, but I'd rather dink and dunk with Cesar Hernandez' of the world than give up controllable talent if I were the Padres. Two of those three teams in the West are going to be playing each other in the WC game to probably play the other team in the West in a 5 game series. You have one bad outing in the WC game and the year is moot and you've lost your controllable talent for a short term guy. 

5 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

To me you just look at like the Patino for Snell trade... I think I'd already rather have Patino and the Rays have how many more years of him and what cost? 

I don't know what a Scherzer costs ... maybe its Gore? Maybe Gore turns into a nobody, maybe he turns into Giolito. i get it's the cost of going for it, but I'd rather dink and dunk with Cesar Hernandez' of the world than give up controllable talent if I were the Padres. Two of those three teams in the West are going to be playing each other in the WC game to probably play the other team in the West in a 5 game series. You have one bad outing in the WC game and the year is moot and you've lost your controllable talent for a short term guy. 

I get that, but the net is that they look like the most talented team in the league, and with several years left in the window. I don't think any Padre fans anywhere are feeling any stress from losing the Snell trade.

There are pros and cons to Preller's ultra aggressive style, but he deserves a TON of credit for building a system that's still stacked with talent even after the Padres had one of the best rosters in baseball.

I'm sure the Sox would have loved to take a bigger swing than Hernandez & Tepara but given where the system was at that would have been extremely difficult to actually do

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Scherzer to SD close - errr Not so fast