Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Gong to miss Nicky 2 strikes. He was good for this lineup.

Me too - the saving grace is - technically 2B are dime a dozen - but he was a guy I Liked rooting for (small, scrappy, old school ball player who I think is going to have a really good career).  But - with Hernandez being added - you can see he'll be the 2B again next year (and he's a legitimate quality 2B) - so I don't hate it from that side. I buy Heuer having some more really good years.

I much prefer this to Crochet going though.  Cause not having Nicky will likely not be a huge reason this team can't contend and they can find someone like Heuer, plus they have Kimbrel to package in the off-season (as long as he is healthy and hopefully that is after he is coming off a world series championship).  

• Like 3

trades are already controversial ... throw in a controversial player in Madrigal and there will be some fun takes. 

Personally it stings, but second baseman are one of the easier positions to replace (which is a bit funny when you think how long we went with Mendick and Leury). I loved his throwback style and this stings personally, but i get it. this makes us a better team. 

Guessing that the Cubs ate the salary for this year to get Madrigal, but still would cost $16mm next year ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I like Nick Madrigal and all, but he feels highly replaceable. The ceiling isn't enormous. I'm okay with this.

and at this point, there has to be concerns about his injury history.  The funny thing is Hoerner and him are basically the same player.

• Like 3

Just now, sin city sox fan said:

Is Andrew Vaughn our second baseman of the future now?

Him and Burger are going to get plenty of reps - but they have Hernandez at $6M for next year - which is nice.  Makes that Hernandez trade look even better.  Kind of like some 3D chess by Sox right there.  

• Like 2

I think it comes down to this:

1. If the Sox win a World Series with Kimbrel, it's a great move. 

2. If the Sox want to be big boys, they can sign Marcus Semien or any other handful of guys that will be out there and replace Nicky without blinking an eye. It only hurts if they don't replace him with talent. 

I love, love LOVE the White Sox going for it. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

They are going for it folks. Every season is sacred in itself. 

We will think about next year when it comes. Enjoy the ride and LFG. 

Yup, I'm excited as shit for this year and this makes them better and it's great.

I just hate giving up a young position player for a damn reliever. Relievers are whatever. Even Kimbrel was complete trash the previous two years. Just a lot of risk with relievers, and their impact is on so few innings. The Sox could have just SPENT money on a big time reliever too, they didn't have to trade assets which makes it even more maddening.

Love it for this year though. Fearful we'll regret it next year and beyond though. Who cares if we cash in this year, but if we don't this could suck.

I really thought Madrigal complimented this roster and lineup perfectly.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

52 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is bonkers to me. The Sox don't spend big money on FA's, and you'd want to give 16 million a year to Kimbrel while ALSO giving up a young pitcher with 6 years of control and electric stuff?

That's a huge NO from me, dog.

Unless you mean only if Bryant was included, but for just Kimbrel that would be a flat out raping by the Cubs.

That's exactly what I meant.

The good: The bullpen is fucking scary now. The lineup is covered. Clearly, the money will be spent.

The risk: Madrigal turns into a batting champion on the North Side and is beloved. He could also be constantly injured, make mistakes this board shredded him for, etc. and this turns into a massive win for the Sox (I say this as a Madrigal fan).

Just now, fathom said:

and at this point, there has to be concerns about his injury history.  The funny thing is Hoerner and him are basically the same player.

And from the sounds of it, they have been trying to trade him for a year now, FWIW.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Let's hope this is our Torres for Chapman move.

Let's hope this isn't our Torres for Chapman move.

Cubs also traded over a few years Eloy, Cease, Soler as well as Torres (Vogelbach, too, but he hasn't panned out).  I liked Nicky, but this is perfectly OK with me.  The pen is ridiculous now and gets even crazier if Bummer straightens it out.  Sox, so far, have only given up one top end prospect. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sin city sox fan said:

Is Andrew Vaughn our second baseman of the future now?

Now you see why we traded for Hernandez. He's our starting 2B next year unless he completely flops. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I think it comes down to this:

1. If the Sox win a World Series with Kimbrel, it's a great move. 

2. If the Sox want to be big boys, they can sign Marcus Semien or any other handful of guys that will be out there and replace Nicky without blinking an eye. It only hurts if they don't replace him with talent. 

I love, love LOVE the White Sox going for it. 

We have DEFINITELY seen an over population of talent out there at 2B.

• Like 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic