2021-22 NBA Thread

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I get the theis love, he was the only nice part about the last 20 games last year.

That said, having multiple good perimeter defenders needed to happen IMO more than Theis. Maybe Caruso offensively won’t do enough, but he is so good defensively, I had no idea bulls had him on radar. 

I saw some stats that actually said Theis wasn't that good with Thad or Vuc on the floor so maybe Theis wasn't a good fit.  That said - I feel like his toughness would have been nice, but I was more worried when Bulls lost him for nothing - once I saw we get a TPE (and maybe even the MLE back) - that was a game changer to me.  I am curious what they do with Lauri/Coby/Thad - they seem like the most likely guys to potentially still get moved and this new front office seems to get something for all their assets (thank goodness).  

The Bulls perimeter D was so bad last year - so having Caruso/Ball will clearly be a massive improvement on that front.  

1 minute ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Rebounding and rim protection will come from where?  These things still count, right?

I think that will be answered when they s&t lauri or lauri is about to stay for the year - which isn’t terrible either. But I still expect a big trade and they still have Thaddeus young and the tpe worth the mle. 

Taj is tough and can do those things to - if they want to bring him back to Chicago. 

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think that will be answered when they s&t lauri or lauri is about to stay for the year - which isn’t terrible either. But I still expect a big trade and they still have Thaddeus young and the tpe worth the mle. 

Taj is tough and can do those things to - if they want to bring him back to Chicago. 

Lauri can't do either.  Taj is old and 6'9" and can rebound a little, period.

4 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Lauri can't do either.  Taj is old and 6'9" and can rebound a little, period.

At this point it looks likely we can still use the MLE as well as whatever a Lauri may provide, as well as vet mins. And ... simonovic 

Man, I didn't realize just how solid Caruso was. I guess he was the best on guard defender in the league last year. Ball is a good defender as well. If they can add a guy like Whiteside, I could definitely see the Bulls making a Hawks like jump. 

• Like 2

Not sure we can count the Derozan chickens before they hatch after the moves the SAS made yesterday.

I am completely rejuvenated though by watching the FO yesterday. Talent-wise, it's not much different than I expected. But showcasing how player contracts can be converted into exceptions and S&Ts to create more flexibility makes me feel like we are finally able to move forward.

It was completely disorienting after watching how the bulls operate seeing how the Heat, with no cap space, just signed Jimmy Butler and forced a S&T. it's like wait, you don't need to just dismantle the team to the studs to make room for a player? you aren't completely ruined when you decide to sign Kirk Hinrich for 3 million and take you out of a max? Amazing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Williams still intrigues me enough to where I'd have no issues if they can't make DeRozan or a DeRozan level player happen. 

Idk who's out there, but I think I'd rather they try and get a legit well rounded 4.

Not sure it is a good idea but John Collins is only other "guy" imo. but collins and Vuc would be ...interesting defensively.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Not sure we can count the Derozan chickens before they hatch after the moves the SAS made yesterday.

I am completely rejuvenated though by watching the FO yesterday. Talent-wise, it's not much different than I expected. But showcasing how player contracts can be converted into exceptions and S&Ts to create more flexibility makes me feel like we are finally able to move forward.

It was completely disorienting after watching how the bulls operate seeing how the Heat, with no cap space, just signed Jimmy Butler and forced a S&T. it's like wait, you don't need to just dismantle the team to the studs to make room for a player? you aren't completely ruined when you decide to sign Kirk Hinrich for 3 million and take you out of a max? Amazing.

This RealGM thread is for you: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2111486

Garrett Temple:

- Turned a guy who normally you let walk for nothing into a sign and trade asset to get Lonzo with Satoransky who you would maybe get a 2nd round pick for at best

Daniel Theis:

- Turned a guy ready to walk into a trade exception. Now we have either gained a TPE or put Caruso into it and gained Caruso while holding onto full MLE

Not to forget, he flipped Gafford, Kornet, and Hutchinson into Brown Jr, Green, and a TPE (Caruso?) by taking advantage of a team up against the luxury tax.

+

By using Temple as an asset to acquire Ball, AKME has:

- allowed us to keep Thad Young
- allowed us to keep Lauri as either a player or tradable asset
- allowed us to acquire Caruso
- allowed us to acquire either a TPE or the MLE by being able to trade Theis

Four assets from one move involving Garrett Temple.

42 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Bulls are said to be discussing Khem Birch. I don't know anything about him, but a quick search tells me he's really solid on defense which is obviously a big need. 

I know nothing of him - but his PER wasn't bad given his minutes. Presume this would be small dollars (i.e., BAE) and he would have played with Vuc - so some familiarity there.  He also performed pretty well for the Raptors - who are a pretty sharp ran organization (after leaving Orlando).  Seems like an analytics guy and a solid depth signing.  

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Man, I didn't realize just how solid Caruso was. I guess he was the best on guard defender in the league last year. Ball is a good defender as well. If they can add a guy like Whiteside, I could definitely see the Bulls making a Hawks like jump. 

Whiteside would anchor the inside defense and rebounding, both of which are sorely needed.  Where's he gonna play if Vuc is your center?  PF, I guess.

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Bulls are said to be discussing Khem Birch. I don't know anything about him, but a quick search tells me he's really solid on defense which is obviously a big need. 

That is not a real name.  That is a randomly generated name from the game Destiny 

7 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Whiteside would anchor the inside defense and rebounding, both of which are sorely needed.  Where's he gonna play if Vuc is your center?  PF, I guess.

Whiteside is a backup at this point. After he signed his big deal, he went from being a 17-14-2 guy to 12-11-2 two years later. Last year he made $2.3M as a backup for the Kings, so Vuc isn't moving to PF for him.

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

Whiteside is a backup at this point. After he signed his big deal, he went from being a 17-14-2 guy to 12-11-2 two years later. Last year he made $2.3M as a backup for the Kings, so Vuc isn't moving to PF for him.

Since my post said he'd move to PF if Vuc is your center, what's the problem?  He doesn't have to be a scorer here.