2021-22 NBA Thread

11 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Is he friends and family w KD? 

I'm dumb and was thinking of DeAndre Jordan. Two centers named Andre (kinda) that played for the Nets and Sixers last year, so kinda understandable mistake.

For context: Kyrie and KD wanted DJ in the starting lineup over Jarrett Allen. Once Kenny Atkinson was gone, DJ was in the starting line. Also, he was the third wheel of a pact KD and Kyrie made at the Olympics to play together.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I doubt they were gonna use the full MLE anyhow. 

Probably not, but I just don’t think Drummond is worth the difference between a $3.3M portion of the MLE vs a vet minimum signing if it limits what else they can do with the MLE.  There are ways to get under the tax before the 2022/23 season ends. 

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Probably not, but I just don’t think Drummond is worth the difference between a $3.3M portion of the MLE vs a vet minimum signing if it limits what else they can do with the MLE.  There are ways to get under the tax before the 2022/23 season ends. 

You also have to wonder how much $300k a year matters for someone like Drummond. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

You also have to wonder how much $300k a year matters for someone like Drummond. 

If I’m Drummond I’m taking the most I can get and I don’t begrudge him for it at all.  Does Drummond for $3.3 vs a vet min big move the needle on the court at all though?  That’s where I’m skeptical.  I don’t want to play Gallo $8M, but it would be nice to have an $8M option to for someone who does move the needle. 

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well, according to Cowley, the Bulls made calls to the Nets about Durant.

As they should.  I don’t expect them to pull that one off, but running it back plus Drummond & Gallo and hoping for health is hardly an inspiring off-season. 

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

As they should.  I don’t expect them to pull that one off, but running it back plus Drummond & Gallo and hoping for health is hardly an inspiring off-season. 

This is the most White Sox Bulls off-season you can imagine so far. 

Although, what is the equivalent of a non-elite reliever in the NBA? They need to sign more of those. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I will say that if Vuc is heading out the door via trade in the coming weeks I like the Drummond pick up way more.  But I can’t really get hope up there. 

I don't think you want Drummond playing more than 15-20 minutes a game. Everything I've read from Nets and Sixers fans/sites is that Drummond did very well for them in a back-up center role. 

• Like 1

If the Bulls want to stay under the tax, they can only afford to pay Gallinari something like $6.7 million a year. With LaVine on a max contract and Terry on a rookie contract, they have $9.988 million in space before the tax threshold. With Drummond taking up $3.3 million of that, there's only around $6.7 million left. Boston can offer Gallinari $6.5 million on the tax payer's MLE and seemingly don't want to give him more than 1 year. 

I'm sure they can clear some room later on in the off-season if they need to. All the rumors pointed to Gallinari getting at least 2 years at $7.5 million a year. 

Edited by chw42

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't think you want Drummond playing more than 15-20 minutes a game. Everything I've read from Nets and Sixers fans/sites is that Drummond did very well for them in a back-up center role. 

I’m just one thousand percent ready to move on from Vuc.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin-durant-trade-rumors-how-the-designated-rookie-rule-will-limit-who-the-nets-can-deal-for/

The NBA salary structure is wild:

The Designated Rookie rule allows teams to sign players coming off of rookie contracts to a five-year extension rather than the typical four. A team can designate up to two rookies for such contracts, but there's a caveat: only one of them can be acquired by trade. Simmons, himself on a five-year deal signed with Philadelphia, already occupies one of those slots. Therefore, if the Nets keep Simmons, they cannot acquire another in a trade for Durant.

That takes 12 notable players off of the table in a Durant trade for the time being: 

Luka Doncic
Trae Young
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
De'Aaron Fox
Donovan Mitchell
Bam Adebayo
Jayson Tatum
Karl-Anthony Towns
Devin Booker
Jamal Murray
Andrew Wiggins
Joel Embiid

Bam, Mitchell, and Murray feel like the biggest three hindrances for their teams + good news for the Bulls.

To me Drummond is a guy you get on vet min. As seen by: last 2 years. That doesn’t mean he’s unproductive, just that you don’t want him being immovable.

Using MLE should get you a legit add to the team, not incentives to get vet min guys you couldn’t recruit.

Did not expect this team to be maxed out after last year, but they really are tapped 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

To me Drummond is a guy you get on vet min. As seen by: last 2 years. That doesn’t mean he’s unproductive, just that you don’t want him being immovable.

Using MLE should get you a legit add to the team, not incentives to get vet min guys you couldn’t recruit.

Did not expect this team to be maxed out after last year, but they really are tapped 

Couldn’t they just use part of their tpe on Drummond and than still have the full MLE. That is if JR was willing to pay luxury tax. 

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Couldn’t they just use part of their tpe on Drummond and than still have the full MLE. That is if JR was willing to pay luxury tax. 

That would have required the Nets to participate.