White Sox playoff position tracker

Balta1701

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok, Yankees and Red Sox lose, Mariners and Blue Jays win tomorrow for complete chaos!

That would be great. It would suck if the Yankees and Red Sox both win, but at least we’re getting 6 games tomorrow that really mean something…if the Mariners finish this off tonight.

Edited by flavum

It's official--the Astros have clinched the #2 seed and will have home field advantage in the ALDS vs the Sox.

Seattle leads the Angels 3-1 after 5

Dodgers lead Milwaukee 7-1 in the 6th

If those results hold we have 4 teams for 2 wild card spots in the AL and the NL West on the line in the final day.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok, Yankees and Red Sox lose, Mariners and Blue Jays win tomorrow for complete chaos!

UGGGH : Chris Sale is going for clincher tomorrow.  Washington bullpen is dynamite  ready to blow any game in case  Sale fails. 

15 minutes ago, flavum said:

That would be great. It would suck if the Yankees and Red Sox both win, but at least we’re getting 6 games tomorrow they really mean something…if the Mariners finish this off tonight.

I'm surprised Cole isn't going tomorrow. 

Wacha may be bad, but he's actually been good against New York this year. 

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Fun stuff in Seattle.

Never expand the postseason. Don’t do it. 

I think this is the most fun I've had watching a non-Sox game all year. I don't even like the Mariners, but the thought of them and Toronto making it over NY and Boston has me rooting for them. 

• Like 2

10/3:

We've made it to the final day of the season, and six teams still have something to play for.

Teams who are locked into spots and do not, are Tampa Bay, Houston, and the Sox as division winners in the AL and 1, 2, and 3 seeds respectively. Milwaukee and Atlanta as division winners in the NL and 2 and 3 seeds respectively. Saint Louis as the second wild card.

San Francisco and the LA Dodgers have been locked into the postseason for a long time, but their positions are yet to be settled. A Dodgers win + a Giants loss gives us a Monday tiebreaker with the winner being NL west champs and #1 seed, and the loser being the first wild card. Any other pair of outcomes today gives the Giants the NL West title.

Now to the AL wild card which has lived up to the "wild" to the fullest extent. As we enter play today, Boston and the NY Yankees are tied for the two WC positions with Toronto and Seattle one game back. Any combination of those four teams could ultimately fill the two wild card slots. In any scenario, Boston and the Yankees are both guaranteed to play at least one more game today, whether that be in the wild card game or a tiebreaker game. All games start between 2:00 and 2:30 today so that no team gets the advantage of knowing an outcome before playing.

All the possible outcomes [TLDR version: 9 of the 16 possible outcomes have tiebreaker game(s)]:

Boston and Yankees both win, regardless of Toronto or Seattle outcomes - Boston is the first WC and the Yankees are the second WC

All four teams lose - Boston is the first WC and Yankees are the second WC

Boston wins, other three lose - Boston is first WC and Yankees are second WC

Yankees win, other three lose - Yankees are first WC and Boston is second WC

Boston and Toronto win, other two lose - Boston is first WC and Toronto and Yankees are tied for second WC

Boston and Seattle win, other two lose - Boston is first WC and Seattle and Yankees are tied for second WC

Yankees and Toronto win, other two lose - Yankees are first WC and Toronto and Boston are tied for second WC

Yankees and Seattle win, other two lose - Yankees are first WC and Seattle and Boston are tied for second WC

All but Boston win - Yankees are the first WC and the other three are tied for the second WC

All but Yankees win - Boston is the first WC and the other three are tied for the second WC

Seattle wins, other three lose - Boston, Yankees and Seattle tie for both WC spots

Toronto wins, other three lose - Boston, Yankees and Toronto tie for both WC spots

Seattle and Toronto win, Boston and Yankees lose - All four are tied for both WC spots

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'm most excited that all of the games start at the same time today. We're going to need like a RedZone quad box to watch the final few innings. 

I sure hope so. Early leads for the Red Sox, Yankees, and Giants could make today a dud too. I’m just glad they got here. It’s good for MLB to see it’s better for the game if teams come up short of the playoffs and not just handed a spot if they finish over .500.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flavum said:

I sure hope so. Early leads for the Red Sox, Yankees, and Giants could make today a dud too. I’m just glad they got here. It’s good for MLB to see it’s better for the game if teams come up short of the playoffs and not just handed a spot if they finish over .500.

The only downside to this setup is that it's the most exciting day in regular season baseball and we still have to contend with NFL Sunday. That exciting night in 2011 was a a Wednesday and Thursday where MLB knew it would be the only thing going.

I'm sure they have a reason for dropping that weeknight finish ($$?) but it would be really cool if somehow baseball had this all to themselves.