2021 NFL Season Thread

Trevathan, who I liked a lot as a player when he was healthy, but was a disasterous extension a year ago (vs. Kwit or the other guy whose name escapes me that left) - is evidently going to go on IR to start the season.  

Bears are signing Perriman, who isn't great, but did put up 500 yards or so receiving last year. He was cut by the Lions.  

18 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Not sure how they are adding 2 wideouts...but obviously one is a special team player.  

Since we're only carrying 3 RBs to start the season, I think we can effectively consider the punt returner as what will eventually become the roster spot for the 4th RB (once Cohen is back).

okay, read this before seeing the rest, now it makes sense except for Perriman.

Waived Adams (to PS) -> Claimed Webster

Moved Trevathan, Jenkins to IR -> Re-signed Artie Burns, Marqui Christian

Not sure who the other cut will be for Perriman.

Cutler on McAfee show a few days ago was hillarious.  I miss Jay on the Bears - so sad they didn't put the right parts around him early in his career. Dude was just so physically talented.  Also - if people haven't seen it - watch Kurt Warner dissect Fields preseason play. Its a really good watch...maybe not super entertaining as Warner is dry...but his QB analysis is fantastic (way better than all those random youtubers who circle stuff up and really don't know what they are talking about). Warner goes next level and in general - I think any Bear fan will come away pretty impressed...but as Warner points out, there is clearly work to do.  

Let the oline gel under Dalton - than shift to Fields in the middle of the year (unless they are somehow rolling). 

This whole thing is a planned orchestration by the Bears.  By running the way less popular Dalton out there, the Bears build themselves equity for when they are actually willing to run Fields out there.  The longer it takes, the more willing Bears fans will be willing to accept his shortfalls once he starts leading the team.  Plus you let the offensive line abuse Dalton while figuring themselves out during all of these injuries.  It's not the dumbest plan I have seen.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This whole thing is a planned orchestration by the Bears.  By running the way less popular Dalton out there, the Bears build themselves equity for when they are actually willing to run Fields out there.  The longer it takes, the more willing Bears fans will be willing to accept his shortfalls once he starts leading the team.  Plus you let the offensive line abuse Dalton while figuring themselves out during all of these injuries.  It's not the dumbest plan I have seen.

Exactly - it isn't like the team is that good and no matter what Fields is going to take time. You run him out now - starting the season against two of the 5-10 best defenses in the league (Rams & Browns), with an oline that was injuried through most of trainin camp, while he is already inexperienced...could he overcome it, sure...but why chance that vs. let him sit and soak things in a bit.  Waiting isn't going to hurt him - getting him out too early and having him seeing ghosts or getting happy feet because he isn't ready...that could just create bad habits that do impact his long run.  

4 of the greatest QB's in NFL history sat out of the gate - Patrick Mahomes (not the length but he sat), Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady (obviously no would have have started him right away).  There are also exceptions - like Peyton Manning and many others...but I am very happy Bears are waiting. They are going to wait until he can just play and get a half season under his belt (worse case).  Best case Dalton is actually pretty decent and Fields gets to just watch for a year and be that much more ready (nothing wrong with that either).  

I dont think the Bears did much of anything to improve the roster, EXCEPT for Fields miraculously falling into their laps:

1. They've gotten older overall on the defense

2. They've gotten worse on the O-Line & in the secondary. 

3. The offense, that started to be more efficient towards the end of last season with a more balanced attack will go back to Nagy’s stoopud pass-happy attack that sucks.

Meanwhile, the stoopud media just wants to see fields ASAP, so that they have something to talk about on their shows, or write about in their articles. Im perfectly fine with letting fields sit, because this team ain't winning anything; I also don't want Fields to get hurt in what looks like a losing season.

I think this is a 6 or 7 win team at best. YMMV.

10 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dont think the Bears did much of anything to improve the roster, EXCEPT for Fields miraculously falling into their laps:

3. The offense, that started to be more efficient towards the end of last season with a more balanced attack will go back to Nagy’s stoopud pass-happy attack that sucks.

Meanwhile, the stoopud media just wants to see fields ASAP, so that they have something to talk about on their shows, or write about in their articles. Im perfectly fine with letting fields sit, because this team ain't winning anything; I also don't want Fields to get hurt in what looks like a losing season.

Truth PTL. 

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think you're right about points 1,2,3. 

But I think you're missing the mark with the bolded. This "When Will He Start?" conversation is golden sports talk radio drama. No one knows the answer so it's just pure speculation, which is what fuels conversation like that. So I think the media actually is enjoying this "controversy" as it's creating manufactured drama they can keep latching onto. 

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I think you're right about points 1,2,3. 

But I think you're missing the mark with the bolded. This "When Will He Start?" conversation is golden sports talk radio drama. No one knows the answer so it's just pure speculation, which is what fuels conversation like that. So I think the media actually is enjoying this "controversy" as it's creating manufactured drama they can keep latching onto. 

I think we're saying the same thing, actually.

I think that most media types are like hyperactive 12 year olds with ADD: ANY type of attention, whether positive or negative, is a "good thing" for them. So whether you're "hate watching" a show, or "hate listening" to Bernstein or Parkins or any other talking head, its still ratings to them, just the same as if you're tuning in after a big win. 

As it pertains to QBs, didn't we just see a highly-drafted QB get pressed into service 4 games into his career? And how, exactly, did that go? How many great QBs started right away in recent years? [Maybe Luck? or Manning? I honestly can't remember many that did.]

OTOH, we can list chapter-and-verse of great QBs that sat and watched for a majority of their rookie seasons, without suffering any ill effects on their development. [Mahomes, some guy named Brady, a couple bums up in green bay, and a couple others come immediately to mind, without consulting the interwebs.] For me, I'd rather go the Mahomes/Brady mode of development, than the Trubisky mode of development.

Long story short, these media types give zero fucks about whether the team does well, only that you listen to/watch their shows.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

11 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think we're saying the same thing, actually.

I think that most media types are like hyperactive 12 year olds with ADD: ANY type of attention, whether positive or negative, is a "good thing" for them. So whether you're "hate watching" a show, or "hate listening" to Bernstein or Parkins or any other talking head, its still ratings to them, just the same as if you're tuning in after a big win. 

As it pertains to QBs, didn't we just see a highly-drafted QB get pressed into service 4 games into his career? And how, exactly, did that go? How many great QBs started right away in recent years? [Maybe Luck? or Manning? I honestly can't remember many that did.]

OTOH, we can list chapter-and-verse of great QBs that sat and watched for a majority of their rookie seasons, without suffering any ill effects on their development. [Mahomes, some guy named Brady, a couple bums up in green bay, and a couple others come immediately to mind, without consulting the interwebs.] For me, I'd rather go the Mahomes/Brady mode of development, than the Trubisky mode of development.

Long story short, these media types give zero fucks about whether the team does well, only that you listen to/watch their shows.

I mean...that's kind of the way it's supposed to be, no? 

11 hours ago, Tony said:

I mean...that's kind of the way it's supposed to be, no? 

Well, spreading your opinions in the media on the basis of intellectual dishonesty is a bad thing, wouldn't you say?

After all, it isn't just in sports media that we see this sort of thing. We've got millions of imbeciles who refuse to Vax based on the media's intellectual dishonesty, which makes life suck for those of us who aren't imbeciles.

So as it pertains to Chicago sports media, I HATE with the fire of 1,000 Suns how they cheer for the scrubs from the press box, and I hate how they argue dishonestly about other topics. In this case, Fields is a fucking Fabrege Egg, and should be handled with kid gloves. At least initially, IMO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Well, spreading your opinions in the media on the basis of intellectual dishonesty is a bad thing, wouldn't you say?

After all, it isn't just in sports media that we see this sort of thing. We've got millions of imbeciles who refuse to Vax based on the media's intellectual dishonesty, which makes life suck for those of us who aren't imbeciles.

So as it pertains to Chicago sports media, I HATE with the fire of 1,000 Suns how they cheer for the scrubs from the press box, and I hate how they argue dishonestly about other topics. In this case, Fields is a fucking Fabrege Egg, and should be handled with kid gloves. At least initially, IMO.

Media has always been click baity and tabloid with sports writers and talk.  Controversy sells, we have had the intellectual dishonesty in our faces our whole lives, we just see it 24/7 now.  I remember watching the SportWriters on TV on sports channel as a kid and those guys would just bring in their articles and talk shit for an hour 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Media has always been click baity and tabloid with sports writers and talk.  Controversy sells, we have had the intellectual dishonesty in our faces our whole lives, we just see it 24/7 now.  I remember watching the SportWriters on TV on sports channel as a kid and those guys would just bring in their articles and talk shit for an hour 

Indeed.

I'd actually respect say, a Bernstein or a Parkins if they just came out and admitted that they just want to see Fields for the benefit of their shows. It would be refreshing for them to admit their own interests, rather than bullshitting their way through life.

This is probably a 6-11 or 7-10 team, at best. There will probably be another year or two of having to cull stoopid contracts from their cap structure. And, there isnt a 1st round pick at the end of this year. On balance, I'm not expecting much of anything from this team, so I don't want Fields' development to get fucked over.

That said, its actually refreshing, in that I can just dvr the games, rather than watching them live/in full. I can then fast forward through ~2.5 hours of the 3 hours of show time per game this year. Im gonna get a lot done on Sundays this fall, I think.