Future rotation may look like this

AJ'S Cousin

It’s 2024 and Lynne is gone. Hypothetically Rodon and Gio were extended. 

2024 rotation:

Gio

Rodon

.Kopech

Cease

Crotchet

Big if that hopefully Rodon and Gio  will still be around  Rodon should be extended  now. If he hits the free agent market and has a great post season, we’ll lose him

Edited by AJ'S Cousin

2024 Probably more likely to have ReyLo than Rodon.

Gio will be gone via free agency 

Lynn  could be here, hope he is, that means he was awesome for us the next couple years and they pick up the option.

so hopefully Lynn, Cease, Kopech, Crochet and (wow am I really typing this) Lopez.

the whole Lopez in 2024 is weirding me out, pretend I didn’t type that. 

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Uh… yea.

Pretty sure we’ll see someone like Kelly or Dalquest or Thompson… possibly a guy like DeGrom or Wheeler.

Hopefully Kopech is our ace… really will love it if he hits the ceiling.

it's difficult for me to project the rest of September and October and here we have a thread about the starting rotation in 2024. Mind blown.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is not what the rotation will look like

Gio and Rodon will not be resigning, instead going for the big bucks. Cease has Giolito in his ear telling him to follow suit.

Kopech and Crochet and whatever years of control Cease has left is the start..... not bad. Then they will have to buy some arm or two to fill in.

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Crochet will not be in the starting rotation.

I hope Kopech is given a chance for at least a few months next season. Really disappointed he is at 57 innings, though he seemed to be pitching better his last longer outing (his first since May), and hopefully he can pitch 2+ solid innings when called upon in the postseason.

I don't think it will be Rodon, but I do think the Sox will acquire a starter for 2022, either by free agency or trade. That would allow Kopech and Keuchel to split 5th starter duties, with Kopech unlikely to be durable enough to start for the entire season and Keuchel just being someone we don't want starting an entire season.

Depending on how many years of control that acquisition has, that might affect how they handle Crochet going forward.

2 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

Sox are about to go to the playoffs back to back years for the first time in most of our lives. But let’s talk about the 2024 starting rotation.

Right?!?!? 

There are always those people, the moment after the team wins the World Series, thinking "BUT WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT NEXT SEASON NOW?!?" 

We're fans. Enjoy the ride a little bit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon will not be pitching for the Sox past 2021. I’d bet very large sums of money on that. 

I'm not convinced that's true, at all. 

Say the Sox make a long playoff run. Say they win the World Series and Rodon is the ace during the playoffs, pulls a Bumgarner. While that will earn him more money on the open market, I also could very easily see Jerry and the brass making sure that World Series "hero" doesn't walk away for nothing....

A lot will have to do with this teams performance in October. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Too big of an injury risk because of the way he's been handled. They see him as more than a middle reliever going forward.  

So are you meaning as possibly a closer in the future?  I have been thinking that his drop in velocity this season has a lot to do with prepping him to eventually be a starter.