9/28 Reds @ Sox 7:10PM CT

Tnetennba

• bmags pinned this topic
21 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Think we'll see Abreu get a break after getting hit on the elbow, let any bruising or swelling settle down for a day. 

Or two. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get Vaughn, et. al.  a game at first and it might be hard to keep Abreu off the field against the Tigers this weekend.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Let's rattle off some Ws boys. Don't think we'll catch Houston, but it would be fun to make it interesting, and at least play some encouraging ball the last week. 

Man, Tampa sweeping Houston this week would be sweet. 2.5 back but need to finish ahead of them since they have were better head-to-head. Let's goooooo!!!

Edited by manbearpuig

11 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Man, Tampa sweeping Houston this week would be sweet. 2.5 back but need to finish ahead of them since they have were better head-to-head. Let's goooooo!!!

One win clinches the #1 seed for Tampa. Do they really want to give Houston a look at their best pitchers this close to the postseason if they don't have to?

10 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

One win clinches the #1 seed for Tampa. Do they really want to give Houston a look at their best pitchers this close to the postseason if they don't have to?

Houston really doesn't have a ton to play for either. Both will be jockeying for rest/rotation alignment. if all things are equal in tanking...I think Tampa gets 2/3. If Sox sweep this short one with the Reds it gets very interesting. 

57 minutes ago, flavum said:

…and why they shouldn’t expand the playoffs.  These games matter, and if they went to 8 in each league permanently, they’d be ignored. 

100%, if they expand to more playoff teams they might as well shorten the season to 100 games or so because it would be the most drawn out, boring thing in this game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flavum said:

…and why they shouldn’t expand the playoffs.  These games matter, and if they went to 8 in each league permanently, they’d be ignored. 

13 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

100%, if they expand to more playoff teams they might as well shorten the season to 100 games or so because it would be the most drawn out, boring thing in this game.

The last two weeks of the season are essentially a long playoff with a lot of incredibly exciting games. Expansion never made sense - aside from the obvious reason of more dollars. I really hope they keep it the way it is, but I'm not hopeful. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Big boy lineup tonight

I'd still rather see Vaughn in LF and Eloy at DH.  

But seems pretty much guaranteed Eloy is our LF in the playoffs.  Which means Vaughn is going to be competing with Sheets for DH at bats, because I think Leury is going to be in RF assuming Engel isn't going to be healthy enough to play everyday (if at all). 

I think this is the best realistic lineup:

TA SS, Robert CF, Abreu 1B, Grandal C, Eloy DH, Moncada 3B, Vaughn LF, Engel/Leury RF, Hernandez 2B 

If Engel were healthy, I'd put him in RF and Leury at 2B instead of Cesar who I hate. But chances are Engel isn't going to be healthy. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Unless Vaughn can turn it around in the last few games, I think you are right about platooning him at DH with Sheets.  Not a bad plan.   

Vaughn or Sheets could make the difference in a play-off game with a key shot off a pitcher who thinks they just got through the heart of the order and can let up some.

• Like 1