MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If he was a slam dunk to sign a pillow contract, he might as well have just taken the guaranteed $18.3 mill QO and had certainty prior to lock out.

Players who believe in themselves will reject qualifying offers and they also have an agent telling them he's going to a lot of big offers . Maybe he does get big offers but the rumor mill around him has been pretty quiet.

Didi Gregorius had 2 straight 4 WAR seasons then had a .9 WAR season entering his FA year and had to settle for a 1 yr. $10M contract. He didn't even have the draft pick attached to him like Conforto does. I'm pretty sure he was around the same age as Conforto.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like we need to define leak here.

If Conforto signs here, was it not clear that he could be a Sox target? Plenty of smoke from Fox, etc.

Whereas if Sox sign Kris Bryant, that be pretty unannounced.

Also consider the number of fake insiders at this point. If I wanted to be a fake insider, it wouldn’t be hard to guess at guys that fit the White Sox and relentlessly repeat those names. The White Sox are likely to sign guys who fit them, so a very good chance you will be right often enough while guessing.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Players who believe in themselves will reject qualifying offers and they also have an agent telling them he's going to a lot of big offers . Maybe he does get big offers but the rumor mill around him has been pretty quiet.

Didi Gregorius had 2 straight 4 WAR seasons then had a .9 WAR season entering his FA year and had to settle for a 1 yr. $10M contract. He didn't even have the draft pick attached to him like Conforto does. I'm pretty sure he was around the same age as Conforto.

Wasn’t Didi badly injured? Like that 1 year was a “he will miss some time” contract?

31 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Bad timing for this NY writer regrading Mets and Conforto.  Positive for Sox. Maybe 5-$100 ??

https://risingapple.com/posts/ny-mets-sign-michael-conforto-threat

In that article it gives the stats of how bad he's hit in high leverage situations and how he's hit in Mets losses. You'd still want him at 5 yrs and $100 mill? 

I haven't heard many Mets fans wanting to build a winning team around Conforto. Not a guy I'd want the Sox to spend that money on. 

9 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Please no Conforto. The fans who have seen him for his entire career have little good to say about him other than he tries hard and seems like a good guy. Complaints such as: he is prone to long slumps that coincide with Mets losing streaks; he has potential but hasn't reached it; his lack of power; and that he won't be worth the money some sucker team is likely to give him. They say they can't believe they can get a pick for him as well. That doesn't seem like the key posiition player acquisition I'd want the Sox to add.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/michael-conforto-to-reject-qualifying-offer.html [ Check out the comments section].

https://risingapple.com/2021/10/10/ny-mets-michael-conforto-devils-advocate/ 

Fans are idiots. 

9 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Please no Conforto. The fans who have seen him for his entire career have little good to say about him other than he tries hard and seems like a good guy. Complaints such as: he is prone to long slumps that coincide with Mets losing streaks; he has potential but hasn't reached it; his lack of power; and that he won't be worth the money some sucker team is likely to give him. They say they can't believe they can get a pick for him as well. That doesn't seem like the key posiition player acquisition I'd want the Sox to add.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/michael-conforto-to-reject-qualifying-offer.html [ Check out the comments section].

https://risingapple.com/2021/10/10/ny-mets-michael-conforto-devils-advocate/ 

Tbh I don't give a damn what some meathead new yorkers have to say about him

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, beck72 said:

In that article it gives the stats of how bad he's hit in high leverage situations and how he's hit in Mets losses. You'd still want him at 5 yrs and $100 mill? 

I haven't heard many Mets fans wanting to build a winning team around Conforto. Not a guy I'd want the Sox to spend that money on. 

5/100 is prolly too much for us. I don't see us going that high, which means they will need to pivot to Schwarber fast and then make a decision on Vaughn.

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They were rumored on Hendriks the entire offseason last year. 

Fully agree on Hendriks, but other than that I feel there hasn’t been a ton of smoke on most of our largest signings from the national writers in the past.  You and a few others have done a great job of sharing things, but I can’t think of a ton of moves that guys like Nightengale, Rosenthal, or Passan leaked early into discussions.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Wasn’t Didi badly injured? Like that 1 year was a “he will miss some time” contract?

He was returning from TJ surgery and ended up with 344 PA.  He then rebounded in the Covid yr prompting the Phillies to extend him for another 2 yrs @$28M and he ended up being very bad  in 2021 .Conforto had 502 but people are blaming the down yr on hamstring troubles which just sounds like agent talk to me even if it's a legit reason for the higher then usual GB rate from him, lack of his usual power and worse fielding year of his career.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

23 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I will give Mets fans one thing-they know what terrible baseball looks like. Conforto is either part of the solution or part of the problem for the Mets (offhand Die Hard reference-Christmas movie time has officially started). Their fans think he’s part of the f——-n’ problem

Edited by beck72

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like we need to define leak here.

If Conforto signs here, was it not clear that he could be a Sox target? Plenty of smoke from Fox, etc.

Whereas if Sox sign Kris Bryant, that be pretty unannounced.

I’m talking hard connections from the national guys.  James and a few others have leaked stuff, but it doesn’t seem like Nightengale, Rosenthal, Heyman, or Passan have leaked much about us until a move is about to happen.  Hendriks being the one clear exception.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Do you actually think Schwarber comes in at substantially cheaper than Conforto?

Isn't Schwarber's projection around 4/70? I don't see a DH/LF getting much more than that. 

Conforto can actually play a position competently. If this talk about Conforto getting more than Marte is true, I fully expect the Sox to pivot and even Harold/fathom/Jimmy are all kind of dropping hints this AM that Conforto is gonna be too rich for us. 

If we need to pivot, then pivot already but we need a legit RHP killing savage.

Sign Schwarber and figure out where to fit him in later. 

I have had enough of pretending switch hitters who are barely above average against RHP (Grandal) is meaningfully addressing the problem.

It's not. Don't put lipstick on a pig and call it a supermodel. 

Address the damn need already. 

IDGAF what it costs. We need multiple left handed savages, so if Conforto is out, we will need Schwarber PLUS something else. I am sick and tired of being exposed against any halfway decent righty. 

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

IDGAF what it costs. We need multiple left handed savages, so if Conforto is out, we will need Schwarber PLUS something else. I am sick and tired of being exposed against any halfway decent righty. 

So where are you going to play Schwarber? Do we not have enough DH's on the roster already?
IMO while we need a lefty bat, competent ML play in the field is a higher priority. Schwarber doesn't address that.

10 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Isn't Schwarber's projection around 4/70? I don't see a DH/LF getting much more than that. 

Conforto can actually play a position competently. If this talk about Conforto getting more than Marte is true, I fully expect the Sox to pivot and even Harold/fathom/Jimmy are all kind of dropping hints this AM that Conforto is gonna be too rich for us. 

If we need to pivot, then pivot already but we need a legit RHP killing savage.

Sign Schwarber and figure out where to fit him in later. 

I have had enough of pretending switch hitters who are barely above average against RHP (Grandal) is meaningfully addressing the problem.

It's not. Don't put lipstick on a pig and call it a supermodel. 

Too many "ifs" involved here. No one knows who is in or out yet. People might be disappointed if there no movement from the Sox by Dec.1st  if guys we want get signed before then. There's also going to be a long wait to see how the CBA gets resolved and to actually figure out how the Sox fill their holes.

Personally I 'll be happy if just the Kimbrel deal gets done.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Too many "ifs" involved here. No one knows who is in or out yet. People might be disappointed if there no movement from the Sox by Dec.1st  if guys we want get signed before then. There's also going to be a long wait to see how the CBA gets resolved and to actually figure out how the Sox fill their holes.

Personally I 'll be happy if just the Kimbrel deal gets done.

I'd be very surprised if they don't get at least the Kimbrel thing done. That seems to be a super high priority.

• Like 1

Ian Happ - 25 HRs (22 vs. RH pitching). Can and has played all 3 OF positions as well as 2nd base (and 3rd/1B on rare occasions).  Under contract for 2 more years at @$8M/per. Guessing Cubs would entertain offers. Maybe a package to possibly include Kyle Hendricks ?

56 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Lol says the fan from somewhere else.  

I know you didn’t mean it this way but it reads funny like you actually believe you are a more knowledgeable baseball person than these other “meatballs”.😂🤣😂🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With Sanchez and Frazier off the board, it seems to suggest the Semien pursuits are legit (unlikely IMO) or a Kimbrel-Segura+ trade could happen (more likely).  One way or the other, they must have a primary target in mind.

I bet with Mets being in the mix and being overcrowded, I could see a McNeil + swap being an option too, similar to a Phil’s deal.