MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

Just now, fathom said:

I will gladly take 6 competitive years for this core like the Cubs had. Anything outside of that seems difficult because this farm system sucks.

I would too, but clearly cubs are the bogeyman here so it is useful shorthand. 2015 royals, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Not just for me. I think some on here would get a better education on here before the meltdowns go nuclear. 

I forget sometimes that most posters haven’t been to the circus before… multiple times… annually. 😆

The amount of Hahn / Lozano negotiating fanfic I had to read where Hahn was treated like The Godfather was so brutal. 

Hahn: we know you have no other offers! Take this 4 years $80 million!

Lozano: yes I do and I can get $300 million

Hahn: Pound sand!

*hahn kicks Lozano out of window*

• Haha 1

We have major positions of need and only one can seemingly be solved via free agency (right field, second base, starting pitcher (unless we're thinking Kershaw or greinke)). That seems like a problem. Either a problem with use of resources, or lack thereof. Still in the bottom ten of top contracts given out. Plenty of offseason left to work with, but these common themes are annoying

Edited by whitesoxwinner

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pal, you were the one saying they had to land, in FA, Conforto and a good SP or the off-season was a bust.

Now you've moved the goal posts to Conforto and trade for another guy coming off a career year at 32 years old who will be 33 next season.

Of all contenders, the Sox have spent the least money on a player than any others. They already tried to supplement their core with trades. Only one of those moves has "worked."

The point of not spending for years and rebuilding was to run high payrolls and sign big money players to help the core. That's literally what the teams f'ing leadership said.

Why are Sox fans so broken that they have convinced themselves free agency is a bad thing and all these other teams are idiots for spending on great players. SMH

Slow you’re roll there guy as I never said it was Conforto & free agent SP or bust.  If they did both, that would be an awesome offseason for us and I was hoping they’d actually do just that.  But for me, it’s always been at least one free agent at the level of Conforto or better.  Anything less than that is an object failure.  And they’d still have to fill their other holes with decent to really good players for it to all work.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to defend Jerry here.  He’s fucked us over for years with his risk adversion to long-term contracts and an unwillingness to invest in his team to make money.  But at the same time, ignoring the reality of budgets and luxury taxes is stupid and few to no teams address all their needs in free agency.  The reality is we have a ton of high paid players absorbing a ton of payroll space.  I wish Jerry would go out and sign every major free agent, but he’s not Cohen and there will be financial constraints.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why do the Sox have to continue to trade assets (they're running out of ones of value) to supplement the core? Why do we continue to pretend that it's exciting that the Sox insist on trading assets to fill holes instead of just spending money as they promised?

1st thing you have ever said that I have agreed with.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t forget discussions about Lake Michigan tides and if he’d be able to push a dead body away from the city.  I’ll go back and read some of the PM that were sent during that time to see the crazy rumors.

You’re also missing peavy44, who had some of the best “insider” info ever.  Unfortunately, people refused to believe him because his grammar & spelling wasn’t so good.

Just now, fathom said:

Wait till they get the price tag to resign Tim Anderson and Giolito.    

We are realistically looking at a lot of possible turnover in 2024-2025.  We have not stocked the farm enough to replace that from within.   We built this by selling off vets at their peak and getting highly-rated prospects or formerly highly-rated prospects and turning them around.  And some international FA.  Most long-term successful teams build a pipeline in their farm system to either replace from within or to use as trading chits.  With the current state of our farm system the only way we can sustain this is to spend like a drunken sailor and to hope for some of our prospects to hit and then flip them.  The uglier side of this would be to trade from the major league roster.