We All Know What the Problem Is: Jerry Reinsdorf

shago

Nepotism has run rampant through Reinsdorf owned teams forever. And it's one of the biggest problems in this organization. It's the whole reason TLR is here.

Reinsodorf sabotaged the Bulls for years because of his GarPax stupidity. He's probably going to do the same with the Sox.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If you're not willing to pay an "unfair" price at least sometimes, you'd better be as perfect at drafting as Tampa Bay if you want to win in the postseason.

There were better options for RF than Adam Eaton, better options for a backup 2B/SS than Leury Garcia, and better options for RH setup than Even Marshal/Codi Heuer.

I agree with you. We did pay an unfair price at the deadline...... we gave away Madrigal and Heuer for Karosine Kimbrel. How did that one work out? I'm all for overpaying to get a much needed piece for the championship. Going after Kimbrel was an idiotic move by a bad GM. Coming into the season without a legit RF, enough bullpen depth to allow Crochet (and even Kopech) to stretch out in the minors, and a backup catcher is inexcusable. Since Tony is here for life, I think Hahn must go. 

Edited by PitchatRisktoZisk
Spelling
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Even though La Russa has made some really mind boggling decisions, I don’t think he’s the main problem. However, I feel that maybe they should’ve hired someone like Cora or Hinch. They would’ve been a better fit for this team. Time will tell though.

No doubt.  Time has already talked.

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Family from Liverpool, split Everton and Liverpool in the family (same as Sox and Cubs in my family here). Pulled my lifelong fandom of Liverpool in April with their Super League scheme. Will not return ever, or perhaps possibly only after the stench of the FSG scum is wiped clean from Anfield.

Wow, good to see some fellow Liverpool fans around here. Yes the whole Super League business was retched, it comes from having too many owners in football who are not really football people, and see teams as a 'franchise'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Say what you will about Reinsdorf, but it's his club. (mostly) He can run it any way he wants, as a fan you can stop buying his product. However, he got a sweetheart deal with the state to stay in Chicago. The park is 30 years old, despite alterations, it's getting at least middle aged, if not old. Also, it's still in a less desirable part of the metro area. I wouldn't be surprised that when Jerry dies, or becomes incapacitated, look for the Sox to move out of Chicago. The population here is shrinking and the question will be does Chicago deserve two MLB teams when growing cities like Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Austin/San Antonio, Nashville, Orlando, Charlotte have none.

Chicago White Sox have been in existence over 100 years, with multigenerational support and tradition.  It also has regional Midwestern support.  The alternate cities you mention do not have baseball tradition beyond minor league teams.  New York and LA also have 2 teams.  New York is not growing either. The Bronx is not a desirable part of town either.  Food for thought.  If Sox keep winning , it will make it more difficult to move the franchise out of Chicago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Chicago White Sox have been in existence over 100 years, with multigenerational support and tradition.  It also has regional Midwestern support.  The alternate cities you mention do not have baseball tradition beyond minor league teams.  New York and LA also have 2 teams.  New York is not growing either. The Bronx is not a desirable part of town either.  Food for thought.  If Sox keep winning , it will make it more difficult to move the franchise out of Chicago.

The only (immediately) foreseeable issue is the stadium one...and one can argue declining population/tax base, sure, but the same thing is true of Detroit and Cleveland, in particular.  Kansas City will never be more than a mid to small market team, with Minnesota forever stuck in the mid-market tier just like the Cardinals.

10 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

I agree with you. We did pay an unfair price at the deadline...... we gave away Madrigal and Heuer for Karosine Kimbrel. How did that one work out? I'm all for overpaying to get a much needed piece for the championship. Going after Kimbrel was an idiotic move by a bad GM. Coming into the season without a legit RF, enough bullpen depth to allow Crochet (and even Kopech) to stretch out in the minors, and a backup catcher is inexcusable. Since Tony is here for life, I think Hahn must go. 

I meant "unfair price" in terms of dollars to free agents, not in prospects in trades. If you never, ever overpay for a free agent, you'll have a hard time winning. At some point you have to risk getting stuck with a bad contract down the road.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Say what you will about Reinsdorf, but it's his club. (mostly) He can run it any way he wants, as a fan you can stop buying his product. However, he got a sweetheart deal with the state to stay in Chicago. The park is 30 years old, despite alterations, it's getting at least middle aged, if not old. Also, it's still in a less desirable part of the metro area. I wouldn't be surprised that when Jerry dies, or becomes incapacitated, look for the Sox to move out of Chicago. The population here is shrinking and the question will be does Chicago deserve two MLB teams when growing cities like Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Austin/San Antonio, Nashville, Orlando, Charlotte have none.

The population grew here the last decade—you need new talking points.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I meant "unfair price" in terms of dollars to free agents, not in prospects in trades. If you never, ever overpay for a free agent, you'll have a hard time winning. At some point you have to risk getting stuck with a bad contract down the road.

Exactly and the point about otherwise drafting to perfection like the Rays is a good one. Both points are ones the fam base needs to consider more often,

21 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

The crime rate in Wrigleyville is much higher than Bridgeport/Armour Square, but please don’t let facts get in the way of your tired outdated narrative. 

Also, desirable for who?  I, a Bridgeport resident, want nothing to do with going to Wrigelyville let alone living there.  Your perception of “desirable” is incredibly flawed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

The crime rate in Wrigleyville is much higher than Bridgeport/Armour Square, but please don’t let facts get in the way of your tired outdated narrative. 

Also, desirable for who?  I, a Bridgeport resident, want nothing to do with going to Wrigelyville let alone living there.  Your perception of “desirable” is incredibly flawed.  

Less desirable doesn't necessarily have to do with the crime rate. Attending a sporting event is much different than buying a home. A huge parking lot, easy highway access, entertainment options, etc are what I look for. I wouldn't want to live near a stadium. 

39 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Jerry is going to waste another year of our window when he ushers in another strike this offseason. 

I dunno. He's in his 80's which is pretty old, even for team owners. Does he still hold sway over the other owners 

like he did 10-15 years ago. Of course, there are plenty of Darth Vaders in that group even with out JR.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Less desirable doesn't necessarily have to do with the crime rate. Attending a sporting event is much different than buying a home. A huge parking lot, easy highway access, entertainment options, etc are what I look for. I wouldn't want to live near a stadium. 

I live about a mile west of the park, can hear the fireworks, but am rarely bothered by the influx of fans coming and going from games.  The neighborhood is mostly quiet and safe, lots of families with kids, and has most of the amenities I need.  Plenty of “desirable” to be found here, and again, any perception of “undesirable” is incredibly flawed, biased, and or presumptive about the neighborhood the park resides.  It isn’t perfect, but hardly less than desirable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I live about a mile west of the park, can hear the fireworks, but am rarely bothered by the influx of fans coming and going from games.  The neighborhood is mostly quiet and safe, lots of families with kids, and has most of the amenities I need.  Plenty of “desirable” to be found here, and again, any perception of “undesirable” is incredibly flawed, biased, and or presumptive about the neighborhood the park resides.  It isn’t perfect, but hardly less than desirable. 

Of course it is biased but so too is desirable. 

And again, undesirable for a stadium and undesirable for living are too very different things. A stadium in Spring Grove would be undesirable for most Sox fans but plenty of people find it desirable to live there. I like suburban stadiums surrounded by parking lots. That’s my bias. You like city stadiums, that’s your bias. No one is trashing your neighborhood as a place to live but it seems like this hit a nerve.:cheers

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Jerry is going to waste another year of our window when he ushers in another strike this offseason. 

Daylight fading

Come and waste another year

All the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear

Moonlight creeping around the corners of our lawn

When we see the early signs that daylight's fading

We leave just before it's gone

On 10/10/2021 at 3:52 AM, caulfield12 said:

The only (immediately) foreseeable issue is the stadium one...and one can argue declining population/tax base, sure, but the same thing is true of Detroit and Cleveland, in particular.  Kansas City will never be more than a mid to small market team, with Minnesota forever stuck in the mid-market tier just like the Cardinals.

When looking at population you have to look at the Metro area and while the city has lost residents the Metro area has not. When I was growing up in the 50s the city's population was 3.6 million and the metro area was a little over 5 million. Now the city is at 2.7 million but the metro area is just under 10 million, still 3rd largest in the nation. The White Sox aren't moving anywhere when the lease is up except maybe a new stadium close to downtown.