Offseason Thread

reiks12

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Having the 6th highest payroll on like day seven of the offseason is a meaningless stat and not sure why you keep referencing it.  And last year’s payroll was significantly impacted by COVID and would have been way higher without restricted attendance to start the year.  Also, I’m not sure what you think our payroll was last year, but I believe it ended around $135M to $140M.  $170M is a 100% realistic target for us and candidly speaking the Sox could probably rock a $200M payroll with ease as long as attendance is forecasted to be strong.  Again, you are crazy if you think we’ll have a $150M to $155M payroll next year.

I stated my initial projected payroll was $162.4M. It's a significant increase year over year, yet you rip my posts as "way too pessimistic". Not sure why you feel the need to continuously denigrate my position, or state that I'm "crazy" by quoting estimates I never stated or implied ($150M-$155M).

You aren't writing the checks or making the decisions, but are speaking as though you know everything with near to complete certainty. I saw your plan, questioned where you got the fWAR estimates (your estimates, not any independent estimates), and left it at that.

Both of our positions are stated in terms of estimated payroll. Let's leave it at that and find out who was correct or if the difference was split. No need to concoct estimates I've never made, trash or mischaracterize what I estimated, or proclaim that being within 4.4% of a "reasonable target" is somehow "way too pessimistic".

• 2 weeks later...

“Therefore, if the Mets decide their financial resources may be better spent elsewhere, Conforto will surely look to cash in, preferably with a team that has an obvious need for a right fielder and is looking to compete for a championship in 2022 and beyond.

Therefore, with all of these factors considered, the Chicago White Sox might be the best fit for Conforto, and may emerge as the biggest threat to sign him away from Queens. The White Sox have struggled to get consistent production at right field for the past decade. In regards to overall WAR, the White Sox right fielders have been ranked poorly in the last decade. Adam Eaton, who was the primary right fielder for the White Sox in 2021, was not the answer and ended up being released during the season. Adam Engel is under contract through 2024 but is more suited for center field. Eloy Jimenez will slot in as the primary left fielder. Gavin Sheets, who spent some time in right field in 2021, may be more suited for designated hitter.

The White Sox are a young team who are set to compete in the immediate future. They have a young squad that is mostly all under cheap, rookie contracts. Conforto fits the team’s timeline, and he fills an obvious need for them.

If the Mets lose Conforto in free agency, they would receive draft pick compensation, which may deter teams from pursuing him. They better hope that’s the case, because Conforto and Boras do not seem interested in giving the team a hometown discount, and the team needs an outfielder like Conforto more than they realize.”

https://risingapple.com/posts/ny-mets-sign-michael-conforto-threat

There’s another potential factor here at play.

Both Madrigal and Conforto are/were super tight with the former Oregon State manager…and there a lot of rumblings on both sides (Sox and surely Nick’s) that he wasn’t perceived as a unifying presence in the Sox clubhouse, arrogance or overconfidence not backed up on the field, questions about his religious beliefs, bordering on proselytizing, etc.  Guess it just tends on how tight that OSU baseball community is whether it will make any impact at all…or it could be a major bone of contention, like Wheeler’s wife strongly preferring the East Coast.

• bmags locked this topic