Offseason Active Roster Tracker

CentralChamps21

I created this to be a tracker of "what the active (26 man) roster would be if there were a game today." I think it can be a helpful tool to see how things progress in the offseason. It is NOT a projection of what I think the roster will look like on March 31, just a roster you can make of players in the organization on a particular day. For example, Brian Goodwin and Danny Mendick are listed right now but I don't actually think either of them will be on the roster on March 31.

Who is NOT included : Free agents, even if they haven't been signed by another team yet (Rodon, Garcia, Tepera)

Who IS included: Players with options, up until the point those options are acted upon (Kimbrel, Hernandez)

Also included: Arb-eligible players, up until the point where tender decisions are made (Goodwin, Marshall, Engel, Giolito, Lopez)

For the last roster spots where there might be debate (Mendick vs Goodwin vs Gonzalez, Ruiz vs Burr) I just listed the player(s) who spent the most time on the roster in 2021 as a place holder until the organization makes a move.

That said, this is our current roster:

SP: Keuchel, Lynn, Giolito, Cease, Kopech

RP: Kimbrel, Marshall, Lopez, Hendriks, Bummer, Ruiz, Cordero, Crochet

C : Grandal, Collins

IF: Hernandez, Abreu, Anderson, Moncada, Mendick, Sheets

OF: Goodwin, Engel, Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn

As transactions are made, I will update this.

• Like 1

While it would create a significant amount of initial leg work, what would make this super useful is if it included current salary obligations.  That will give us a pretty good idea of what is realistic on the FA market.  I think as things stand, especially with Kimbrel and Cesar options exercised in this analysis, the Sox are nearing $170M payroll.  Not great for a team that probably shouldn't be expected to be in the top 5 spenders in the game next season.  

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While it would create a significant amount of initial leg work, what would make this super useful is if it included current salary obligations.  That will give us a pretty good idea of what is realistic on the FA market.  I think as things stand, especially with Kimbrel and Cesar options exercised in this analysis, the Sox are nearing $170M payroll.  Not great for a team that probably shouldn't be expected to be in the top 5 spenders in the game next season.  

SP: Keuchel $18.0, Lynn $18.5, Giolito $7.9, Cease $0.9, Kopech $0.7

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Marshall $2.3, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Cordero $0.7, Crochet $0.7

C : Grandal $18.25, Collins $0.7

IF: Hernandez $6.0, Abreu $14.0, Anderson $9.5, Moncada $14.0, Mendick $0.7, Sheets $0.6

OF: Goodwin $1.7, Engel $2.2, Jimenez $6.5, Robert $6.0, Vaughn $0.6

Total: $165.45m

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Marshall $2.3, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Cordero $0.7, Crochet $0.7

IF: Hernandez $6.0, Abreu $14.0, Anderson $9.5, Moncada $14.0, Mendick $0.7, Sheets $0.6

Thanks!  I think Abreu is due $19.67M in 22 tho. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Thanks!  I think Abreu is due $19.67M in 22 tho. 

That $19.67 figure includes a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus that was paid in 2020, and $4M of his 2022 salary that is deferred. I prefer to work with the actual amounts players will be paid in 2022 rather than what list listed on the books for that year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Anyone else get the feeling that with the upcoming CBA talks we’re in for a very long free agency season and a drawn out hot stove?

My guess is a lot of teams will want to see that resolved before making big moves. 

Yeah...I think your feeling is going to be reality!  Sadly...this will make the "hot stove" stuff go away!

On 10/14/2021 at 12:27 PM, CentralChamps21 said:

This is assuming the QO with Rodon doesn't happen which would be another 18.5M or so, which puts the payroll at 184M. 

In the week or so after the World Series, the Sox will have made their decisions on Hernandez, Kimbrel, and Rodon. If they keep all 3 (and Rodon stays), that's 40.5M locked in to the 2022 budget.

Then we'll likely wait for the CBA to resolve before anything else happens. The Sox would probably be very financially restrained until they moved Kimbrel (if that's even the plan) anyway.

After the CBA, the plan may be to try and trade Kimbrel for prospects and use that money on a solid defensive backup catcher, a Tepera-esque reliever, and maybe a flier in right. Or it may be to trade Kimbrel for prospects and keep the payroll at around 165-170M. Since it's not our money, that would suck, but may be the most realistic plan

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they try to play games by picking up his option, it’s hard for me to see how he won’t be.

There seems to be a divide in opinions on whether Kimbrel will be tradable. I agree with you, and don't see why any team would want him given how horrible he was. Insiders like Harold and y2jimmy seem to think he is a tradable asset. I just don't get it. He had a good k/bb ratio, sure, but he was just awful. His past 2 seasons weren't great either. 

Edited by ron883

33 minutes ago, ron883 said:

There seems to be a divide in opinions on whether Kimbrel will be tradable. I agree with you, and don't see why any team would want him given how horrible he was. Insiders like Harold and y2jimmy seem to think he is a tradable asset. I just don't get it. He had a good k/bb ratio, sure, but he was just awful. His past 2 seasons weren't great either. 

I could certainly see some team giving us their bad contract for him, but that means you need to find a team with a bad contract who would somehow fit better on our team. Just looking at outfielders since we need one, Justin Upton fits that description and I’m sure the Braves would give Marcel Ozuna for him (and probably throw a parade), but guys like that the team would give you for free if you wanted them.

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I could certainly see some team giving us their bad contract for him, but that means you need to find a team with a bad contract who would somehow fit better on our team. Just looking at outfielders since we need one, Justin Upton fits that description and I’m sure the Braves would give Marcel Ozuna for him (and probably throw a parade), but guys like that the team would give you for free if you wanted them.

All the more reason to pay the $1 million and spent the other $15 million on a potential good contract.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, hi8is said:

Anyone else get the feeling that with the upcoming CBA talks we’re in for a very long free agency season and a drawn out hot stove?

My guess is a lot of teams will want to see that resolved before making big moves.

This will give us extra time to form strong relationships with family members of the players we’re targeting.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ron883 said:

Kimbrel was 7th amongst all relievers with 2.2 fWAR last year.  I don’t think fWAR should necessarily be the end-all be-all for relievers, but it does show just how good he was for the Cubs last year.  His “past two seasons” were 35 total innings and he was only bad for the first 20 of them, which can be attributed to a lack of pre-season / COVID disruptions.  I would wager some money that someone would take on his contract.  Just not sure how much we’d get back, but probably not a whole lot.

22 hours ago, ron883 said:

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kimbrel was 7th amongst all relievers with 2.2 fWAR last year.  I don’t think fWAR should necessarily be the end-all be-all for relievers, but it does show just how good he was for the Cubs last year.  His “past two seasons” were 35 total innings and he was only bad for the first 20 of them, which can be attributed to a lack of pre-season / COVID disruptions.  I would wager some money that someone would take on his contract.  Just not sure how much we’d get back, but probably not a whole lot.

I'm with CWS - we have to remember how many dudes got hit by workloads. Now throw in the league switch, the role switch (which, while I think is dumb, it only takes one reckless GM to buy into).

I think the Sox could probably get something real nice if they shopped Kimbrel + $4-$8M. I doubt Jerry does that, but, maybe. I could also see them trying to bundle Burger or Sheets in there (but that's by no means necessary).

• Like 1