Offseason Active Roster Tracker

CentralChamps21

36 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm with CWS - we have to remember how many dudes got hit by workloads. Now throw in the league switch, the role switch (which, while I think is dumb, it only takes one reckless GM to buy into).

I think the Sox could probably get something real nice if they shopped Kimbrel + $4-$8M. I doubt Jerry does that, but, maybe. I could also see them trying to bundle Burger or Sheets in there (but that's by no means necessary).

I still think this is an extremely high risk, low reward move. The high risk is - Kimbrel and Rodon both accepted things by December 1, the White Sox are sitting there with a $170 million payroll and they're trying to shed salary when other teams are just adding free agents in March once a CBA is signed. I certainly wouldn't give up a big trade return for him even if the White Sox were putting in some money - a reliever who struggled, who is being paid $8 million, and who only has 1 year on his contract doesn't have a ton of value as it is.

Just take the $15 million and go buy the nice thing you want.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I still think this is an extremely high risk, low reward move. The high risk is - Kimbrel and Rodon both accepted things by December 1, the White Sox are sitting there with a $170 million payroll and they're trying to shed salary when other teams are just adding free agents in March once a CBA is signed. I certainly wouldn't give up a big trade return for him even if the White Sox were putting in some money - a reliever who struggled, who is being paid $8 million, and who only has 1 year on his contract doesn't have a ton of value as it is.

Just take the $15 million and go buy the nice thing you want.

The Sox will talk to other GMs though and have a chance to understand his market.  The reality is if they pick up Kimbrel’s option they will be looking to unload him fast.  Part of the reason why they had Nightengale leak their plans was to make it very clear to opposing GMs that they don’t plan to keep him long.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox will talk to other GMs though and have a chance to understand his market.  The reality is if they pick up Kimbrel’s option they will be looking to unload him fast.  Part of the reason why they had Nightengale leak their plans was to make it very clear to opposing GMs that they don’t plan to keep him long.

I'm hoping you're right and they just decline his option after realizing it won't happen quickly, if at all. Who on Earth would add a $16 million reliever without knowing what the CBA will look like in the end? Hell, you trade for the guy, and then the whole season doesn't happen - sorry you're out of luck, thanks?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kimbrel was 7th amongst all relievers with 2.2 fWAR last year.  I don’t think fWAR should necessarily be the end-all be-all for relievers, but it does show just how good he was for the Cubs last year.  His “past two seasons” were 35 total innings and he was only bad for the first 20 of them, which can be attributed to a lack of pre-season / COVID disruptions.  I would wager some money that someone would take on his contract.  Just not sure how much we’d get back, but probably not a whole lot.

How about Kimbrel and Hernandez for Madrigal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

How about Kimbrel and Hernandez for Madrigal.

Heuer and Madrigal for Kimbrel and Contreras would have been a fairer trade, would have really given the Sox a boost behind the plate, Grandal move to 1B/DH w Abreu. 

Would love seeing the Sox get Willson Contreras this off-season and sign him to an extension (or sign him next offseason as a FA). 

News: Marshall to have TJ surgery and will be out for 2022

Out: Evan Marshall $2.3

In: Ryan Burr $0.7

SP: Keuchel $18.0, Lynn $18.5, Giolito $7.9, Cease $0.9, Kopech $0.7

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Cordero $0.7, Burr $0.7, Crochet $0.7

C : Grandal $18.25, Collins $0.7

IF: Hernandez $6.0, Abreu $14.0, Anderson $9.5, Moncada $14.0, Mendick $0.7, Sheets $0.6

OF: Goodwin $1.7, Engel $2.2, Jimenez $6.5, Robert $6.0, Vaughn $0.6

Total: $163.85m

• 3 weeks later...

News: Hernandez option declined, Fry, Cordero, Goodwin outrighted, Severino added

Out: Cordero, Hernandez, Goodwin

In: Foster, Gonzalez, Rutherford

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Foster $0.7, Burr $0.7, Crochet $0.7

IF: Gonzalez $0.7, Abreu $14.0, Anderson $9.5, Moncada $14.0, Mendick $0.7, Sheets $0.6

OF: Rutherford $0.6, Engel $2.2, Jimenez $6.5, Robert $6.0, Vaughn $0.6

Total: $157.45m

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:16 PM, CentralChamps21 said:

News: Hernandez option declined, Fry, Cordero, Goodwin outrighted, Severino added

Out: Cordero, Hernandez, Goodwin

In: Foster, Gonzalez, Rutherford

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Foster $0.7, Burr $0.7, Crochet $0.7

IF: Gonzalez $0.7, Abreu $14.0, Anderson $9.5, Moncada $14.0, Mendick $0.7, Sheets $0.6

Total: $157.45m

So interesting article coming out of the GM meetings.  Hahn says they have financial flexibility right now, but have to to decide whether they want to blow most or all of it on one impact player or spread it across address multiple needs.  If you assume an impact player would eat up roughly $25M or so and that to the $157M we’re already sitting on, that could theoretically put a payroll target just north of $180M which does feel like the high end of a realistic payroll range.  If you move Kimbrel for prospects or a cheap reliever, you could potentially have to $40M or so to work.  Still requires some creativity to address all our needs appropriately, but it seems like there are reasons for optimism here.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-can-spend-offseason-question-will-be-how-spend

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So interesting article coming out of the GM meetings.  Hahn says they have financial flexibility right now, but have to to decide whether they want to blow most or all of it on one impact player or spread it across address multiple needs.  If you assume an impact player would eat up roughly $25M or so and that to the $157M we’re already sitting on, that could theoretically put a payroll target just north of $180M which does feel like the high end of a realistic payroll range.  If you move Kimbrel for prospects or a cheap reliever, you could potentially have to $40M or so to work.  Still requires some creativity to address all our needs appropriately, but it seems like there are reasons for optimism here.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-can-spend-offseason-question-will-be-how-spend

I still favor a pairing of Vaughn & Sheets for RF...use what we already have.  The money can be used at 2nd, backup catcher, and strengthen pitching.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That puts a ton of pressure on the OF defense.

The more I watch the game evolve the less I think OF defense matters, especially when you have someone like Robert in CF.  

Go for the big crooked numbers for 7 innings and put Engel in for the rookies to close it out. 

So I guess today I’m leaning towards spending the money on pitching and power at 2B

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That puts a ton of pressure on the OF defense.

Yeah, I know.   They make the routine plays and nothing is perfect.  My view is we have two good young ballplayers...we need to use them.  I know that some would say trade them but their value hasn't really been established.

Edited by poppysox

Just now, poppysox said:

And yet some think Schwarber is just fine.  We all want a Clemente clone but they are hard to find in our presumed price range.

I want someone who doesn’t run in quicksand.  Also Schwarber is a LF/DH only.  You can afford the lack of range much more in LF.

• 2 weeks later...

News: Graveman signed

Out: Foster

In: Graveman

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Graveman $8.0(est), Burr $0.7, Crochet $0.7

Total: $165.38m

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

News: Graveman signed

Out: Foster

In: Graveman

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Graveman $8.0(est), Burr $0.7, Crochet $0.7

Total: $165.38m

Why is Foster out?

News: Garcia signed

Out: Rutherford

In: Garcia

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Graveman $8.0, Burr $0.7, Crochet $0.7

OF: Garcia $5.5, Engel $2.2, Jimenez $6.5, Robert $6.0, Vaughn $0.6

Total: $170.28m

• 3 months later...

News: Kelly, Harrison signed

Out: Burr, Gonzalez

In: Kelly, Harrison

SP: Keuchel $18.0, Lynn $18.5, Giolito $7.9, Cease $0.9, Kopech $0.8

RP: Kimbrel $16.0, Lopez $2.8, Hendriks $13.0, Bummer $2.5, Ruiz $0.7, Graveman $8.0, Kelly ??, Crochet $0.8

C : Grandal $18.25, Collins $0.8

IF: Harrison $4.0, Abreu $14.0, Anderson $9.5, Moncada $14.0, Mendick $0.8, Sheets $0.7

OF: Garcia $5.5, Engel $2.2, Jimenez $6.5, Robert $6.0, Vaughn $0.7