The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Rob Manfred couldn’t tie his shoes if a majority of the owners told him not to.

Exactly. When it comes to the work stoppage, Manfred is nothing but a figure head. Actually, the Commissioner's office has been weakened for some time. Manfred isn't doing anything because he has no leverage to do anything. 

18 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

What a shitty take. Fuck those guys for working for free and letting the owners use their month long work, travel time away from their family, and the intense stress that they are under trying to fight for jobs? That's absurd. When I found out that they don't get paid for spring training, but owners make all the money from concessions, etc., I was shocked and did not come to the statement "fuck the players". Check yourself. 

Again, another horrible take. Look at what sport athletes are getting paid in every major sport. Think about the insane skill and insane life that these guys lead. Then, think about the insane profits billionaire owners are making compared to the average MLB salary.

It fucking blows, but i'll sit out a year to support the players. I'm not happy, it will kill me, and this is a horrible look for the sport, but god damnit - the players have been getting ripped off for way too long to continually cave in while the owners destroy the game.

Hey, you're pro player.  Good for you.  I don't need to check myself as I said it's the fans that ultimately end up paying with their wallets for all this.  I'm sure the players appreciate your support though.  After all, you are prepared to make the tough decision to sit this one out.  Hope you don't die from it though!

1 hour ago, soulfly said:

Hey, you're pro player.  Good for you.  I don't need to check myself as I said it's the fans that ultimately end up paying with their wallets for all this.  I'm sure the players appreciate your support though.  After all, you are prepared to make the tough decision to sit this one out.  Hope you don't die from it though!

So you're happier that your money is going to the billionaire owners instead?  Odd flex.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So you're happier that your money is going to the billionaire owners instead?  Odd flex.

If I was to think purely selfishly, like, what solution would lead to a more enjoyable fan experience…

I think I would land on giving almost all of the revenue to the company.  Then there could be way cooler stuff at the ballpark like a stunt show after every game and nachos for a dollar forever.  Free parking.  Shoe shines.  The list is endless. 

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

If I was to think purely selfishly, like, what solution would lead to a more enjoyable fan experience…

I think I would land on giving almost all of the revenue to the company.  Then there could be way cooler stuff at the ballpark like a stunt show after every game and nachos for a dollar forever.  Free parking.  Shoe shines.  The list is endless. 

What precedent makes you believe they would ever do anything like that?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Seems to me we don't have any of those things even as the owners take has grown and grown. Lets face it, both parties want as much of our money as possible, and the only "reward" we really get is hearing from time to time  how much they both "appreciate" us. Like the old Seinfeld scene with the rental car, they know how to say they appreciate us, they just don't know how to show they appreciate us, which, if you think about it, is the most important part of the appreciation. 

Being a baseball fan is like having a dead end job.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Saying "I want the owners to get more money so they spend it on cool stuff for us" is the funniest most unrealistic expectation of this thread, thank you for that 

Along that same vein, more money for the owners is not going to lead to lower ticket prices, nor is more money for the players going to lead to higher ticket prices. Ticket prices are market driven.

Kind of the same concept as higher corporate taxes don't cause higher consumer prices, but that's a whole other topic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Seems to me we don't have any of those things even as the owners take has grown and grown. Lets face it, both parties want as much of our money as possible, and the only "reward" we really get is hearing from time to time  how much they both "appreciate" us. Like the old Seinfeld scene with the rental car, they know how to say they appreciate us, they just don't know how to show they appreciate us, which, if you think about it, is the most important part of the appreciation. 

Being a baseball fan is like having a dead end job.

Dead end job is right considering that we've been through this before, especially if you're a White Sox fan.

In 1972, the Sox had signed Dick Allen and the team's future looked great. From advance ticket sales, they expected 50,000 for the home opener. But, because of a lockout, the opener was postponed. It ended up happening on a night in the middle of the week, and it was one of the coldest days of the spring. The team didn't draw half of that 50,000. The Sox had nice year in '72 with Allen winning the MVP, but it would have helped a struggling franchise to have a great home opener.

In 1981, things finally began to look good when the Reinsdorf-Einhorn group bought the team. They added Fisk and Luzinski and the team got off to a good start. But we lost two months of the season due to a work stoppage, and 1981 turned out to be a disappointment.

We all know what happened in 1994.

And now here we are in 2022. The Sox have some young players that need to get some playing time in to further develop. That might be delayed due to yet another work stoppage. Dead end is right.

• Like 1

If there was something that any owner thought would improve the atmosphere at their games and lead to more ticket sales, and it was cost effective, they would do so right now and would need no additional funds to do it.

If there was something that could do those things, but it either did not lead to more ticket sales or cost more than they thought it would make, it wouldn't matter how much money you gave the owner, they would not do it.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If there was something that any owner thought would improve the atmosphere at their games and lead to more ticket sales, and it was cost effective, they would do so right now and would need no additional funds to do it.

If there was something that could do those things, but it either did not lead to more ticket sales or cost more than they thought it would make, it wouldn't matter how much money you gave the owner, they would not do it.

You mean like let everyone in the country watch baseball.  Like that.  Seems like it would be both cost effective and drive up interest in merch sales and ticket sales yet they don't seem to be interested at all 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You mean like let everyone in the country watch baseball.  Like that.  Seems like it would be both cost effective and drive up interest in merch sales and ticket sales yet they don't seem to be interested at all 

As we see with the Sox, ticket sales go up with a good team. Therefore, spending on players = better ticket sales. Damn, we cracked the code.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

As we see with the Sox, ticket sales go up with a good team. Therefore, spending on players = better ticket sales. Damn, we cracked the code.

Let people watch, let them all enjoy it, don't make it something that only people around major cities can watch and enjoy.  It's the most basic way to grow the game.  The more people in the park enjoying the game, the more fun the game will be for everyone involved.  Instead you have overlapping RSNs killing it for entire states, when we all have high powered computers in our pockets now that can let you watch whatever you want whenever you want to.

MLB creates the need for pirate streams

• Like 4