The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The NFL has more revenue than the MLB. The NFL hard salary cap is 208. The penalty for the MLB starting at 214 isn't unreasonable. That is a higher percentage of the revenue than the NFL and it's split with many more players in the NFL with 63 players for each team.

The NFL also shares their revenue.  Most of the teams are near the cap. Unless you are going to make the money teams are playing with more equal like the NFL, the number is totally unreasonable. I also saw where the NFL cap is expected to be 256 million in 2024.

Edited by Dick Allen

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

MLB players are currently getting 47% of revenues. 

Why do you care what % of revenue is player payroll?  Some teams pay a higher % of revenue for the rent than others.  Some teams have more extensive scouting, FO, pay their mgr. & coaches more than some others, etc.  I think the Yanks probably have a lower % of payroll to revenues in spite of the higher total payroll cost.  When we look at the WS I have no idea what JR pays the groundcrews, the electric company, the uniform supplier, or the fireworks company.   We need to see the individual P&L's for each club to make all these judgments about how cheap the owners are.  I am personally bothered most by the huge disparity between the minimum salary and the $40M player.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Why do you care what % of revenue is player payroll?  Some teams pay a higher % of revenue for the rent than others.  Some teams have more extensive scouting, FO, pay their mgr. & coaches more than some others, etc.  I think the Yanks probably have a lower % of payroll to revenues in spite of the higher total payroll cost.  When we look at the WS I have no idea what JR pays the groundcrews, the electric company, the uniform supplier, or the fireworks company.   We need to see the individual P&L's for each club to make all these judgments about how cheap the owners are.  I am personally bothered most by the huge disparity between the minimum salary and the $40M player.

Because of who gets the rest of the pie. Owners are the ones who gave players 40 million contracts. So apparently they have the money.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The NFL also shares their revenue.  Most of the teams are near the cap. Unless you are going to make the money teams are playing with more equal like the NFL, the number is totally unreasonable.

I don't think you the penalty starting higher than the NFL salary Cap is a significant issue for the owners or players. What the issue should be is to figure out a way to get more teams closer to it.

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

So are you telling me that coaches don't have differentiated pay in the nfl?  Do they not scout in the nfl?  No groundskeepers, electric bills or uniforms?

I would also say it's pretty obvious why owners hide their pnls. If it was half as bad as they pretend, they would show it.

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The NFL also shares their revenue.  Most of the teams are near the cap. Unless you are going to make the money teams are playing with more equal like the NFL, the number is totally unreasonable. I also saw where the NFL cap is expected to be 256 million in 2024.

And they have a high level of a hard floor.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So are you telling me that coaches don't have differentiated pay in the nfl?  Do they not scout in the nfl?  No groundskeepers, electric bills or uniforms?

I would also say it's pretty obvious why owners hide their pnls. If it was half as bad as they pretend, they would show it.

I think it's more holding it over the union until the union agrees to a hard salary cap. No reason to show the books until the is a reason to. If the players get 47% of the revenues as you said earlier then the basic numbers are out there already.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm saying that a payroll % as a stand-alone piece of data doesn't really tell us anything.  What does it mean that clubs like the Yankees and Dodgers have tremendous profits and other clubs make next to nothing?  How do we take that info and turn it into something useful for getting an agreement that needs to work for everyone?

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

This sucks.

It does suck, but we fans might as well get used to the concept.

In 1981, there was a work stoppage mainly over free agency. Eventually, the two sides worked out an agreement. We lost two months of the season, but we didn't lose the playoffs and the Series. Fan backlash wasn't too bad.

Maybe now fans won't mind missing April. In northern cities, that is not a great time to be at the ballpark. We will see how bad this gets. But, as I have said in other posts, any loss of games off the schedule will hurt the White Sox more than other teams. Many fans put up with that tank job to see future results. When will that future happen?

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

It does suck, but we fans might as well get used to the concept.

In 1981, there was a work stoppage mainly over free agency. Eventually, the two sides worked out an agreement. We lost two months of the season, but we didn't lose the playoffs and the Series. Fan backlash wasn't too bad.

Maybe now fans won't mind missing April. In northern cities, that is not a great time to be at the ballpark. We will see how bad this gets. But, as I have said in other posts, any loss of games off the schedule will hurt the White Sox more than other teams. Many fans put up with that tank job to see future results. When will that future happen?

Well, tbh, almost nobody wants to go to a Sox game in April other than Opening Day.  Maybe the Sat/Sun daytime games.

15 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

In regards to the amateur draft, the league’s new proposal would reintroduce the “draft and follow” concept, where teams could draft a player and send them to junior college for a year before signing them.

Whadda know.  The dickheads got something right. 

I love this and am glad it's (hopefully) returning. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold

46 minutes ago, poppysox said:

True...but I like watching them on MLB.TV and having warm thoughts.

46 minutes ago, poppysox said:

True...but I like watching them on MLB.TV and having warm thoughts.

Well the NHL and NBA playoffs will be going on until June so we all have something to keep our sports minds occupied. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Players will be happy to agree to 14....but only after using it as a bargaining chip to extract concessions elsewhere first. 

That's maybe their best leverage since playoff money is huge for owners. Only when owners give them the magic number they are looking for in terms of pre-arb pool and minimum salaries will they go to 14.