The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Marqhead said:

If they ended the lockout (or didn't lock the players out in the first place) would the season be played under the current collective bargaining agreement? Is that something the players are ok with?

Typically, in labor disputes, negotiations happen without a strike or lockout under the former agreement until they can reach an agreement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

The money is in game checks.  Owners don't care, but the players do.

The in-game money can be truncated over the rest of the season. I like April ball, but it really isn't a priority to either the owners or players. Especially if it involves snow on the ground in Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City etc. Even TV numbers rate lower in April than May.

1 minute ago, FoxForce2 said:

The in-game money can be truncated over the rest of the season. I like April ball, but it really isn't a priority to either the owners or players. Especially if it involves snow on the ground in Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City etc. Even TV numbers rate lower in April than May.

What evidence do you have to support the idea that April ball isn't important to the players?  If it weren't, why would MLB be using the threat of a delayed season via a lockout to pressure MLBPA into capitulating to a worse deal than the last CBA?

I really don't think the players would report without a new agreement. Let's remember the current one exploits players, is horrible for the fans, and promotes tanking, encourages service time manipulation, etc. 

Why would they just head to camp? We would just go from lockout to strike. Which functionally is the same.

14 hours ago, Marqhead said:

If they ended the lockout (or didn't lock the players out in the first place) would the season be played under the current collective bargaining agreement? Is that something the players are ok with?

Yes, until right before the playoffs.  Noone cares about strikes and lockouts during the offseason.  The owners have the most power over the situation when many players don't have teams and players start missing paychecks.  Players have the most leverage when the owners would miss the big money the playoffs create.

15 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

No it can't. To think every team loses money in April because the White Sox and rest of the low revenue ALCentral don't draw well in April is shortlisted. Many teams draw pretty well in April, not to mention their local TV contracts that won't pay teams for games not played. If they were going to miss games, I will give you they would chose April, but if  all those games were money losers, the season would start later.

• Thanks 2

I mean April baseball definitely sucks. Every year I try to hold off until May, every year I can’t do it, go to a game in soaking wet weather while I wait 4 innings for a hot dog because the vendor staff isn’t up to speed yet.

but most of that would just become May baseball

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean April baseball definitely sucks. Every year I try to hold off until May, every year I can’t do it, go to a game in soaking wet weather while I wait 4 innings for a hot dog because the vendor staff isn’t up to speed yet.

When the hot chocolate and coffee vendors outnumber the beer vendors....you know you're at an April ballgame.  

We still have the large and very warm White Sox blanket from over 25 years ago that I bought my girlfriend (and now wife) from the gift shop when I took her to a game in April.....she no longer attends April baseball contests.....I can get her to go to a game in May if I pull the birthday card but it usually ends up being a pizza, couch and game on the TV date....and I've got a blanket for her if she gets chilly.

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I really don't think the players would report without a new agreement. Let's remember the current one exploits players, is horrible for the fans, and promotes tanking, encourages service time manipulation, etc. 

Why would they just head to camp? We would just go from lockout to strike. Which functionally is the same.

If the owners offered to resume play this year under last years terms while negotiation were ongoing, the players would likely have accepted in November. I’m not sure whether they would now.

BUT - this would be a huge risk to the owners. The players could play out most of the season and if talks weren’t progressing, they could vote for a strike to start in September. That would get the players over 80% of their season salaries, but cost the owners their playoff TV revenue if they didn’t come to an agreement. The players make their money in the 162, the owners make the biggest chunk of their money in October.

The owners did the lockout starting in December to deny the players that potential leverage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I am done with going to April games. I have gone to many April games during the years, and I am just not doing it anymore. The 1999 home opener was played under totally miserable conditions. Felt more like early January than early April. To top it off, the Sox committed five errors and lost a miserable game. Of course, this season it is very possible there will be no April games.  Perhaps no May games either.

On 2/18/2022 at 5:10 PM, Marqhead said:

Of course, the players would be OK with it.  Remember when in 1994 a strike was called by the players on August 12 that flushed the playoffs and WS down the drain.  You can bet the owners will never again be caught in that type of weakened bargaining position again.  

• Thanks 1