The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

12 hours ago, poppysox said:

Of course, the players would be OK with it.  Remember when in 1994 a strike was called by the players on August 12 that flushed the playoffs and WS down the drain.  You can bet the owners will never again be caught in that type of weakened bargaining position again.  

Yep. Both sides are sleezy and would be more than happy to screw over the fans to improve their position in this fight. I find it weird seeing most of you all taking one side or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

Yep. Both sides are sleezy and would be more than happy to screw over the fans to improve their position in this fight. I find it weird seeing most of you all taking one side or the other.

At least the players want to discourage tanking. Tanking is something that should end.,

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

At least the players want to discourage tanking. Tanking is something that should end.,

Yep. Tanking needs to end in all professional sports. It plagues pretty much all of our sports right now. Leagues need to stop rewarding failure to the degree that they currently do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, poppysox said:

Of course, the players would be OK with it.  Remember when in 1994 a strike was called by the players on August 12 that flushed the playoffs and WS down the drain.  You can bet the owners will never again be caught in that type of weakened bargaining position again.  

You really have to be kidding with this post. The National Labor Relations Board slapped the owners down for not bargaining in good faith. The owners were following JR's advice by standing pat and not compromising. Then there were the stupid replacement players that no fan really wanted to see. And now they are doing it all over again.

4 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

You really have to be kidding with this post. The National Labor Relations Board slapped the owners down for not bargaining in good faith. The owners were following JR's advice by standing pat and not compromising. Then there were the stupid replacement players that no fan really wanted to see. And now they are doing it all over again.

Oh man, I had done a memory dump on the replacement players....wasn't Pete Rose Jr a part of that fiasco if I am remembering correctly?

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

For Six years the Sox avoided tanking. We were treated to the most lethargic, boring baseball. I’d have watched 2017 10x over than a single game in 2015.

I’ll say 5 years actually I loved the 2010 team.

• Like 1

A pox on both of their houses, don't feel sorry for any of these gazillionaires.

If and when they come to an agreement, it's us fans who will get hurt the most with higher ticket prices, higher food and beverage prices at the park and probably higher cable rates.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NWINFan said:

The National Labor Board didn't slap anyone down.  They filed a complaint upheld by the district court.  The replacement players were brought into the fight in January 1995...quite a bit after the strike was called by the union in August 1994.  The Natl. Labor Board filed a complaint that was upheld by the District court thereby ending the strike in March 95.  The point still is...the owners don't want a strike mid-season therefore the lockout when we got it...with enough time to settle things before the season gets started.  

25 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

If and when they come to an agreement, it's us fans who will get hurt the most with higher ticket prices, higher food and beverage prices at the park and probably higher cable rates.

Yeah... because we were all heaping praise at how affordable going to the ballpark has been, and how stable the pricing has been for years now.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

A pox on both of their houses, don't feel sorry for any of these gazillionaires.

All those higher prices were coming regardless of this CBA 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

The National Labor Board didn't slap anyone down.  They filed a complaint upheld by the district court.  The replacement players were brought into the fight in January 1995...quite a bit after the strike was called by the union in August 1994.  The Natl. Labor Board filed a complaint that was upheld by the District court thereby ending the strike in March 95.  The point still is...the owners don't want a strike mid-season therefore the lockout when we got it...with enough time to settle things before the season gets started.  

The point is that you placed all the blame on the players and acted like the owners were some innocents. It takes two sides to make an agreement. It also takes two sides to make a lockout or a strike. And JR was at the head of this stonewalling. 

The NLRB was not a victory for the owners no matter how you revise history. And the use of replacement players was not an act of negotiating. It was an attempt to break the union. In addition, the use of replacement players was an insult to any loyal fan. There was no in hell I would pay one cent to see a bunch of minor league players act like major leaguers. The White Sox players who won the 1993 division title and who were in first place when the strike occurred would not have been on the field. I am not going to see a bunch of players just because they wear White Sox Jerseys. And, as a person who strongly believes in unions, I would not have crossed this picket line.

Most businessmen will do what they can do break or weaken a union. The owners are no exception. And a lockout is one attempt to break or weaken a union.

The players care little about the fans, but the owners care less. Your loyalty to the owners is misguided. And JR does not care if the Sox ever return to a World Series. 

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The point is that you placed all the blame on the players and acted like the owners were some innocents. It takes two sides to make an agreement. It also takes two sides to make a lockout or a strike. And JR was at the head of this stonewalling. 

The NLRB was not a victory for the owners no matter how you revise history. And the use of replacement players was not an act of negotiating. It was an attempt to break the union. In addition, the use of replacement players was an insult to any loyal fan. There was no in hell I would pay one cent to see a bunch of minor league players act like major leaguers. The White Sox players who won the 1993 division title and who were in first place when the strike occurred would not have been on the field. I am not going to see a bunch of players just because they wear White Sox Jerseys. And, as a person who strongly believes in unions, I would not have crossed this picket line.

Most businessmen will do what they can do break or weaken a union. The owners are no exception. And a lockout is one attempt to break or weaken a union.

The players care little about the fans, but the owners care less. Your loyalty to the owners is misguided. And JR does not care if the Sox ever return to a World Series. 

The poster inquired if baseball couldn't have gone forward while negotiations continued.  I explained why that would never happen again because it already didn't work in 1994.  The replacement player was a poorly conceived idea that came along well after the strike was initiated by the union.  

11 hours ago, bmags said:

For Six years the Sox avoided tanking. We were treated to the most lethargic, boring baseball. I’d have watched 2017 10x over than a single game in 2015.

I’ll say 5 years actually I loved the 2010 team.

To see my team, the White Sox, tank was disheartening. You can win in other ways, yes you can. Tanking is here to stay, though. It can't be stopped.

8 hours ago, JoeC said:

Yeah... because we were all heaping praise at how affordable going to the ballpark has been, and how stable the pricing has been for years now.

It's such comedy what it costs to park, eat and drink at a game. Owners should just keep increasing what it costs for parking, a burger, beer and tickets. 50 bucks a beer ... fans would still buy it. 150 to park. Fans would pay it. 30 dollars for a bag of peanuts. For sure they'd pay it. 20 bucks for a bottled water. The ones who go to the games will pay anything. Just make it laugably outrageous. Let's see in my scenario two hot dogs, one beer and a bag of peanuts would be about 120 dollars. Those who can't afford it just never consider attending a ballgame anymore. I've been told many times there are deals to be had. Secondary market and/or deals on the nosebleed seats. Yes the high prices frustrate me for the quality of baseball played today. It's glorified home run derby, with a lotta strikeouts in there, too. And cutters galore from relief pitchers who rule the game.

Edited by greg775

I go to about 20 games a year.  I find free parking, walk a little bit and then spend less then $10 in the game.

Tickets can be had for a pretty cheap price. 

The price of a baseball game is much lower than any other sport and other than beer concession prices food can be had at a comparative price.

I can easily spend $150 a game but can find ways not to as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's such comedy what it costs to park, eat and drink at a game. Owners should just keep increasing what it costs for parking, a burger, beer and tickets. 50 bucks a beer ... fans would still buy it. 150 to park. Fans would pay it. 30 dollars for a bag of peanuts. For sure they'd pay it. 20 bucks for a bottled water. The ones who go to the games will pay anything. Just make it laugably outrageous. Let's see in my scenario two hot dogs, one beer and a bag of peanuts would be about 120 dollars. Those who can't afford it just never consider attending a ballgame anymore. I've been told many times there are deals to be had. Secondary market and/or deals on the nosebleed seats. Yes the high prices frustrate me for the quality of baseball played today. It's glorified home run derby, with a lotta strikeouts in there, too. And cutters galore from relief pitchers who rule the game.

Sir, this is a Wendy's! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

You can actually bring in outside peanuts (I don’t know what other kind of snacks/food) and unopened bottles of water. Can park for free if you don’t mind a little walk.

58 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You can actually bring in outside peanuts (I don’t know what other kind of snacks/food) and unopened bottles of water. Can park for free if you don’t mind a little walk.

Yeah, there are so many ways to attend games affordably if you are willing to put forth a little effort.  And your dollars go to neighborhood establishments and small businesses instead of those evil greedy players or magnanimous billionaires.

• Like 1

My grumpy old man thing is exclusively about the lines and waiting. Don't want to hear about the mobile app, feels like I wait just as long thinking 20 minutes was ample time to give them for prep.

Would much rather them simplify the menu to get food and drink out the door quickly then putting these over-the-top food items to get some buzzy press that take the vendors way longer to make and hold up everything.

There is a reason everyone associates popcorn, pretzels, cracker jack, hot dogs with ballpark fare. That stuff is lindy. I don't need saffron rice and crispy chicken-skin covered pork ribs.

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

My grumpy old man thing is exclusively about the lines and waiting. Don't want to hear about the mobile app, feels like I wait just as long thinking 20 minutes was ample time to give them for prep.

Would much rather them simplify the menu to get food and drink out the door quickly then putting these over-the-top food items to get some buzzy press that take the vendors way longer to make and hold up everything.

There is a reason everyone associates popcorn, pretzels, cracker jack, hot dogs with ballpark fare. That stuff is lindy. I don't need saffron rice and crispy chicken-skin covered pork ribs.

Just bring back my Margaritas on the OF concourse and no one gets hurt. They were selling lemonade last year that was barely spiked for $13.

• Haha 1