The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

I'm not going to get my hopes up.  We all learned the hard way last week when things looked promising Monday night, and our hopes and dreams were dashed on Tuesday.  However, seeing the MLB finally move on the CBT is encouraging.  To me, anyway, it seems like they're within striking distance of a deal.  That, coupled with MLB stating they can save the 162 game season, makes me think they're going to be more serious this time.

Regardless, it's another day I won't get much accomplished at work.  You'd think I'd have learned my lesson not to follow the news so closely, but no.  I'm anxious to see what happens when/if a deal is made.  If they make a deal today, players will report by Friday to ST.  That means there could be an historic amount of moves this week.  Again...not getting my hopes up.  Well, that's a lie.  I can't help but think about what the Sox will do.

6 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

What comments like this tweet fail to recognize is that there needs to be something in place to limit the big boys spending. Without some form of CBT, the Yanks, Dodgers, Red Sox etc are just forming their own league. I don’t know what the leagues caveats are tied to pushing the CBT thresholds above $220m, but ffs, just seems like this shouldn’t be what delays the season. Such a small % of the teams are even impacted and I don’t blame the little fish For wanting something to limit upper end spending. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What comments like this tweet fail to recognize is that there needs to be something in place to limit the big boys spending. Without some form of CBT, the Yanks, Dodgers, Red Sox etc are just forming their own league. I don’t know what the leagues caveats are tied to pushing the CBT thresholds above $220m, but ffs, just seems like this shouldn’t be what delays the season. Such a small % of the teams are even impacted and I don’t blame the little fish For wanting something to limit upper end spending. 

I could be wildly wrong on this by now but IIRC they are still substantially different on the drop in revenue sharing fraction and the arbitration bonus pool as well, so it’s not just the CBT level holding this up? At least that’s what I saw last week.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Total agreement on this point.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I could be wildly wrong on this by now but IIRC they are still substantially different on the drop in revenue sharing fraction and the arbitration bonus pool as well, so it’s not just the CBT level holding this up? At least that’s what I saw last week.

Yes, they're still $50M apart on the bonus pool.  I do believe that is the 2nd biggest factor.  I also think the players ask is a bit much.  $40-50M growing by 2% a year seems like a reasonable compromise.  Let's remember this is a brand new concept, and what the players are demanding is going from 0 to 80 in a millisecond.  Nothing about that change is incremental.  

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll take the over…I think a deal will be agreed to today with both sides conceding a bit on various issues, including a 14 team playoff setup.

Appreciate the optimism that is not deserved by the process 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes, they're still $50M apart on the bonus pool.  I do believe that is the 2nd biggest factor.  I also think the players ask is a bit much.  $40-50M growing by 2% a year seems like a reasonable compromise.  Let's remember this is a brand new concept, and what the players are demanding is going from 0 to 80 in a millisecond.  Nothing about that change is incremental.  

The part more interesting to me is the drop in revenue sharing money, because that is the money that supports the parasite franchises and rankin teams so that they’re massively profitable while 1500 people are watching their September games on TV. Cutting that share will sting those teams some.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll take the over…I think a deal will be agreed to today with both sides conceding a bit on various issues, including a 14 team playoff setup.

It certainly should be.  "Pigs get fat...hogs go to slaughter."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess I'm just less convinced then ever that correlates to winning. I kinda want to give the yanks enough rope to hang themselves. 

I'd rather dodgers go gangbusters in free agency then their spending on like 6 GMs within their front office at one point. That disparity is a lot harder to overcome for the white sox, but likely diminishing returns since the Rays can keep up.

If smaller owners pushed for a front office spending cap, likely a much bigger wedge in the disparity of outcomes.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess I'm just less convinced then ever that correlates to winning. I kinda want to give the yanks enough rope to hang themselves. 

I'd rather dodgers go gangbusters in free agency then their spending on like 6 GMs within their front office at one point. That disparity is a lot harder to overcome for the white sox, but likely diminishing returns since the Rays can keep up.

If smaller owners pushed for a front office spending cap, likely a much bigger wedge in the disparity of outcomes.

I mean, can't say I agree that spending $ doesn't correlate to winning.  If Dodgers and Yankees are running $300M+ payroll and the average of the rest of the league is $125M, I don't see how teams can compete.  Could they lose in a 3, 5, or 7 game playoff series?  Of course.  But its nowhere near a level playing field. 

I'd love to see a floor, but its pretty obvious that isn't happening.    

15 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I fear its all posturing until the players are forced to accept 60 games or no season at all.

I think right now the Owners’ side is completely rudderless and adrift. What other explanation is there for “this is our final offer” last week including hidden text changes overnight, then a substantial shift this week?

I think you have a completely ineffective commissioner and some of the experienced owners like Reinsdorf who could lead groups of owners are staying on the sidelines, so the owners are swinging wildly from one day to the next. That leaves it impossible to guess what they will accept today.