The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

7 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

A low CBT really would have hurt the Sox ability to add so no, I don’t think we would forget about that if they were basically hard capped and couldn’t fill out the roster. 

But we wouldn't be complaining that a player wasn't be paid enough. He's only getting seven million!! The team is making too much money, give him nine million! The Sox took a player from Pittsburgh? Damn, now they won't be as competitive. I wish we wouldn't do that.

From what I can tell, it seems like the the pre-arb bonus pool and then the international draft in exchange for a QO are the biggest two sticking points at the moment.  I don’t think the latter is too much of a problem, but rather something that was introduced late in the game.  But a $30M gap in the pre arb bonus pool is challenging.  My guess is the players eventually concede down to $50M or give in to a 14 team playoff format.

If we learned anything from last week, don't put much stock in what the media is reporting.

It does seem like the sides are much closer than they have been, but depending on who you listen to/read:
1) A deal seems likely today
2) More games will be cancelled, and there was never going to be a deal
3) Passing out bagels to hungry people is cool

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

“We swear, this is our final final final final final final final FINAL offer.”

Pretty laughable that not long ago the owners were sabre rattling about their best & final offer and here we are on the what feels like the verge of a new CBA (🙏🏻🤞🏼) and all it took was significant movement from their own side.  As if we all couldn’t see what needed to happen and their continual refusal to budge.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

There are significant gaps every week. 

And there will be significant gaps when a deal is reached.  Eventually each side will likely cave on multiple issues as a compromise.  We'll hear how MLB gave up this and the MLBPA gave into that.  If there weren't significant gaps, we'd be tracking spring training and talking about how fat some player got instead of watching this damn soap opera.

• Like 1

I think nothing can gets fans excited quite like pre arb bonus pool talk. Look out NFL, baseball is back as America's game. 

What will the "we're back together, best buddies, come on out to the ball park" press conference look like? You know there will be the grabbing each other's crotch moment explaining this was necessary for the game. We love and respect each other. Etc etc. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I think nothing can gets fans excited quite like pre arb bonus pool talk. Look out NFL, baseball is back as America's game. 

What will the "we're back together, best buddies, come on out to the ball park" press conference look like? You know there will be the grabbing each other's crotch moment explaining this was necessary for the game. We love and respect each other. Etc etc. 

The funny thing about football is despite it being the most popular,  no one seems to care enough about the negotiations to need the details in real time, or in minutiae.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The funny thing about football is despite it being the most popular,  no one seems to care enough about the negotiations to need the details in real time, or in minutiae.  

That's because after the owners used replacement players and essentially broke the union, they have dominated the union and there isn't labor strife. Its settled without much issue.

32 minutes ago, Texsox said:

"There's a lot of mutual respect here."

"At the end of the day, we both want the same thing."

"The fans and what they want have always been at the forefront of our minds."

"We're just excited to get back to business.  This was a long road, but a necessary one."

• Thanks 1