The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Damn this would be sweet if Congress actually did something about this.

People tried to do something like this back in 1994. This is an election year, so politicians are going to jump at getting in on this if the league gives them a chance.

This one should Have been obvious to Manfred on December 1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

What exactly is this guy talking about with it promising to be a very strange and dangerous summer??

In the first part he is comparing MLB owners to Russian oligarchs who are currently involved in a war. So being overly dramatic would be my guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Jon Heyman is a Manfred tool, confirmed. Speaking of Tool… who’s going tomorrow at the United Center?

You are....I read about it in another thread.  Welcome to town!!

Edited by wegner

As an outsider watching all of this, what really surprises me if that the two sides are not negotiating every minute of every day to solve this stand off. There seems to be no real urgency from either side, and MLB seems unconcerned about cancelling 2 weeks of the season and the players seem equally unconcerned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you want like 15 teams including five super teams because that’s what you’re going to get if your argument is simply let capitalism dictate a major sports league?  Teams like the Pirates would have zero chance of lasting in the long-run under your scenario.  But hey, if even worse parity and 400 less major league jobs is what you’re after it’s a great plan!

I agree that free agency destroyed competitiveness in baseball, exactly like the owners predicted. For competitive reasons free agency was a bad idea. But the players fought for it and they won. Now teams just buy their starting line up. 

The baseball draft is twenty rounds long. I believe the Liam's of the world moving teams has 1000 times the impact of some sixth round pick. Players want to play in the MLB. Multiple first round picks could choose Pittsburgh to get to the majors quicker. Why stay blocked by All Stars. 

So what should a player have to do to achieve free agency? Currently it requires paying off their drafting debts by working years at minimum wage. Is that fair to players while teams take in millions of profits?

Are you ok with teams doing everything they can to keep player control, and competitive balance in the league? Service time manipulation seems fine for competitive balance. 

3 hours ago, Chimpton said:

As an outsider watching all of this, what really surprises me if that the two sides are not negotiating every minute of every day to solve this stand off. There seems to be no real urgency from either side, and MLB seems unconcerned about cancelling 2 weeks of the season and the players seem equally unconcerned.

Think of it like a huddle in football. You need space to review the proposals and work on your counter offer without the other side hearing your plans. 

This whole disagreement about the international draft, and the publicity of it, could be what ends the lockout.  The purported importance of the draft was rather sudden, and both sides feel strongly about it.  However, it seems like there's a very vocal, albeit smaller, group of players who are vehemently against it that seem to be the driving force behind the MLBPA's stance.  Scherzer's tweet was a bit telling as it sounds like it was brought up in Florida, and at the time the union was told it wasn't a bargaining chip.  Now it seems to be THE bargaining chip.  Both sides are now blaming the other (nothing new there), and each are playing dumb about who brought it up first.

The owners are probably still the bad guys here, but public perception has changed a bit after yesterday.  Many of us armchair general managers look at the international draft as a way to get the lockout ended and our teams back on the field.  And there's enough information out there for us to know that the current system for getting Latin American players into baseball is pretty corrupt.  The draft is not THE solution, but it probably makes the situation better...if done properly.  I think the players' last minute proposal, which ironically and supposedly was Manfred's proposal, is a good one because it allows the league and analyze it and hopefully implement a draft that actually improves the process.

One thing is clear after yesterday: They should have been having these day long bargaining sessions a month ago.  There's a lot of fan mistrust of both sides now, and that can't be good for the sport.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I certainly hope he isn't rewarded with a face turn after fucking everything up in the first place 

How much autonomy do you think he has? I'm guessing it's micro levels. He's just a cardboard cutout MLB stands behind. I hope MLB rewards him with a nice bonus at the end. He's a worker just like the players. He doesn't own anything in the fight. 

44 minutes ago, Texsox said:

How much autonomy do you think he has? I'm guessing it's micro levels. He's just a cardboard cutout MLB stands behind. I hope MLB rewards him with a nice bonus at the end. He's a worker just like the players. He doesn't own anything in the fight. 

Tex, he is the main point of negotiation.  He has multiple talking point missteps and fuck ups.  He is the commissioner.  This shit is on him 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I think the owners themselves probably didn’t design their negotiating strategy, so “lockout, delete all evidence the players exist, no contact for 43 days to negotiate under pressure” was all him and his team. There’s a reason why we aren’t hearing any specific owner names as major parts in the negotiations.

I also think the disorganization on the owners’s side - a final offer that wasn’t final two days later, the time the Rockies owner claimed he was losing money and left himself open to having the union request his books, the international draft becoming really important to the owners on a deadline day without the details having been worked out in side sessions - that’s all him.

I think Manfred sold them on how he would get a big win by getting tough with the union but was too weak and timid to sell the owners a vision for what was in his big win. The owners are fighting hard for a win without knowing where their finish line is or what route they’re taking to get there, so they want to hurt the players but they are also flailing because Manfred won’t or can’t be a leader.

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Tex, he is the main point of negotiation.  He has multiple talking point missteps and fuck ups.  He is the commissioner.  This shit is on him 

I believe the votes blocking deals are a bigger deal.