What you want them to do/what you think they will do

Kyyle23

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok first question, how the heck did you get this to work? The Spotrac roster builder is non-functional for me in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and on an iphone on Safari. All the "trade" windows open up buried in the background and are completely inaccessible, you can't click on them. This is also not an adblock issue as I tried turning it off? 

Anyway, here's my problem with this, it's not that this is a bad 2022 roster - it's what happens in 2023 with the guarantees you just gave out. The White Sox get out of Rodon's deal in this format, but that's about the only major expiring contract they have. But...Moncada, Robert, Jiminez, Anderson all have guaranteed contracts/options that go up, Giolito will be Arb 3 with probably a $14 million salary, Kopech and Cease both are Arb 1 so I just guessed they're $4.5 million. Dominguez iis also arb-1. LaStella's contract inflates hugely in year 3.  I also kept Lopez for $4 million, which is probably an underestimate if he is retained. Sulser will be Arb1, Dominguez is Arb1. Also assume Anderson's option is picked up, obviously will be.

Jose Abreu is technically an expiring contract after 2022, but does anyone seriously believe he won't be back with the 2023 white sox for about $20 million? I would have guessed another year would be added to his deal prior to the 2022 season had there not been a labor impasse. So, assume $20 million for Abreu in 2023. 

Without making any other moves, and following the numbers you gave, the roster you gave us inflates naturally from $175 million in 2022 to over $190 million in 2023 without making any other moves. If all you do is add in another year of Abreu, then this roster is naturally way more expensive and in a position where they would struggle to spend money the next offseason based on their history.

So I guess that's my "What do i want them to do" - 2023 is trouble. A lot of guys go up in salary, and the only salaries that leave are Keuchel and Rodon, assuming they keep Abreu. This will happen almost regardless of who they bring in - if they go for a guy like Conforto on a multi-year deal, they create this problem of suddenly having no money to spend the next offseason. So where does that leave this team? Is 2022 an "All in, if we don't win the world series, we trade Giolito and others?" year? Or are they ready to push to $210 million payroll in 2023 prior to losing Gio as a free agent? What do I want them to do? Have an answer to this issue.

Realistically you need to bump up the payroll to $200M or so or trade a vet for a couple of prospects.  No doubt things will get challenging, which makes pushing for a length post-season and the corresponding revenue important.

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Realistically you need to bump up the payroll to $200M or so or trade a vet for a couple of prospects.  No doubt things will get challenging, which makes pushing for a length post-season and the corresponding revenue important.

Easier said than done.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So what’s your plan then?

TBH I have none right now that I have confidence in. They’ve set themselves into a poor spot right now with how the moves have stacked up. It might well be a “sell Giolito and Lynn after 2022 is the right move” situation, and those aren’t typically the type of moves they do. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

TBH I have none right now that I have confidence in. They’ve set themselves into a poor spot right now with how the moves have stacked up. It might well be a “sell Giolito and Lynn after 2022 is the right move” situation, and those aren’t typically the type of moves they do. 

How have they set themselves up in a poor spot?  Because the payroll is escalating as we get deeper into our competitive window?  This happens to all contenders eventually.

I wouldn’t call it a ‘poor spot’ but we are in uncharted territory for this franchise. If they act like a major market club and push the payroll to $200M+ to fill out the roster during this competitive window then they are in great shape.  If they start dumping productive but expensive players or papering over the roster holes with cheap washed up stop gaps then they were always pretenders.  We as fans just have to hope they finally aren’t messing around. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox will have the best odds in baseball at winning their division when the odds come out in 2022. They're definitely in a poor spot. 

Sox have some work to optimize their postseason chances, but I doubt many clubs would be willing to change situations with the White Sox heading into the offseason.

The issue here is the perception that JR and the FO will not spend anything to improve the club because of what they have done in the past. However, if you really think about it or dissect the issue, you may reframe that perception. Relax people, it’s only November 1st. We haven’t even made it to the offseason yet. Lmao.

Edited by maloney.adam

7 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This isn't a b**** thread. OP clearly stated the rules. Please only post solutions/expectations and take whining to the general off-season thread. K, thanks.

Thank you and like I said in my post above people should just relax, it’s only November 1st for goodness sakes. Lol

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This isn't a b**** thread. OP clearly stated the rules. Please only post solutions/expectations and take whining to the general off-season thread. K, thanks.

😂 appreciate it but it's off the rails