9/3 GT : Sox v. Twinkies 615CT - Don’t Stop Now Boys!!

ChiSox59

I think we're seeing Cease learning how to pitch. He's pitching to contact more early in games so he can cut down on his pitch count. He had 1 K through 5 today but ended up with 7. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's gone 8 and 9 innings the last 2 starts. Something has clicked with him recently and I think we're seeing the next phase of his evolution. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Competitors want to go after and win it fairly and without an asterisk, leaving no doubt as to what happened. 

Still you don’t need to throw a strike to possibly the league’s best hitter.  An asterisk would have been an intentional walk, but burying four in the dirt or way off the plate would have been wiser.  Regardless, great game, and Cease moving closer to the Cy Young.

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Still you don’t need to throw a strike to possibly the league’s best hitter.  An asterisk would have been an intentional walk, but burying four in the dirt or way off the plate would have been wiser.  Regardless, great game, and Cease moving closer to the Cy Young.

What's the difference between throwing 4 in the dirt and the IBB? He went after him, as most people figured he would.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

2 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

What's the difference between throwing 3 in the first and the IBB? He went after him, as most people figured he would.

AJP in the Fox broadcast was also saying that Cease should not throw a strike to Arreaz and let Arreaz get himself out of the zone or walk him.   Don’t let Arreaz spoil his no hitter.  Arreaz is a big contact hitter.  

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Real competitors . It's a me first thing.

When they asked Ted Williams if he wanted to sit out when he was already hitting .400, he said he would play and earn the .400 . Got 3 hits and finished at .406.

He's not sitting out though. Pitching around a guy is fine. 

In hindsight, high fastballs out of the zone to Arraez would have been harder for him to put the bat on for a hit.

Cease hung it and Arraez hurt it.  Cairo or Katz should have come out before Cease faced Arraez to calm him down and discuss strategy

2 hours ago, hankchifan said:

He left one up, it could have been thrown lower. He could have messed with him but they chose not to. Either way they did their job and he was a big contributor today and the whole season. Something tells me he’ll get his no hitter when he is done pitching. He definitely is in the conversation for Cy Young and a leader in it after tonight.